Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: NOE/Ranch Dog .382-235 RF

Boolit Master

NOE/Ranch Dog .382-235 RF

I bought this bullet to use in my Marlin 336 Cowboy model. I saw the three crimping grooves and started with the bottom groove (longest OAL) when chambering it shoves the bullet way down past the top groove. Tried the next with the case FIRMLY crimped in the top groove and the last bit of lever movement shoves the bullet firmly into the rifling. I'm using the long Starline brass. I do realize the bullet was designed to fill the throat, but this is a bit much. My question is was it designed to use in the short Starline - new Winchester length case, and why? The chamber easily accepts the old cases and the longer Starline case. I have a lot of the long Starline cases, so I guess I'll just trim some so the bullet won't jam into the rifling.
    Another question, and probably one for NOE; Is this a Tumble Lube bullet? If not, why are the lube grooves so narrow? I guess filing the 2 lower crimp grooves might make up for it. Looks like a lot of fun ahead shooting and sorting it all out.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master
    The 382-235 RF is not a dedicated tumble lube design, although it can be used successfully with tumble lubing (pretty much anything can). The lube grooves are large enough to carry enough of a quality grease/wax lube to do anything the bullet is designed for.
    Have you measured the throat diameter of your Marlin? The 382-235 has a full diameter section at the base of the nose, in front of the first crimp groove. If your throat is smaller than the sized bullet the throat's interference will try push your cast back into the case neck.

I use this bullet in several firearms. The largest throat I have is .3795".
    If possible, do a throat impression (pound/impact soft slug). That will show exactly how much room you have for case length and give you a measureable throat impression.... Size your bullet as close as you can to your throat diameter, -.0005 to -.001 would be great although some try to avoid sizing more than +.003 over groove diameter.
    I always prefer to use the longest brass possible. Any gap between the end of your case and the beginning of your throat is a potential problem area where your cast "might" deform on launch (not to mention potential lead shaving and/or fouling). Minimizing that gap is always a good idea.
    Your rifle will decide what it likes best... Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I had a nice conversation with Swede about the bullet design. He says he tried to produce a normal groove design without straying too far from RD's design, it seems if he strays too far sales fall off. I told him that I had downloaded RD's load info and that he had worked with the same model Marlin and with the long (1.200" brass) which is very close to Starline's OA Length. Anyway, the nose of the bullet is jamming into the rifling, not just the front band. So, it seems that I have no lead in the chamber. I have a throating reamer, which is left over from a Ruger #1 38-55 which had an oversize bore and undersize chamber neck which I'll measure up and possibly use to cure the problem.
    I do agree with using the longest possible brass.
    Last edited by Irascible; 03-27-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!