RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 what rings and mount for a Leupold VX-1

Boolit Master

Marlin 336 what rings and mount for a Leupold VX-1

Hello and thanks ahead of time for your input. A friend of mine got a Marlin 336 and he wants to scope it. What rings and mount are going to give him the best set up for the $$? The Leupold VX-1 has a 40mm objective. Looking for ring height etc.

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 336's have Weaver one-piece bases & Weaver rings - as solid as it gets & quite inexpensive. Pretty easy to find used Weaver bases & rings for ~$25 total.

As you mention the 40mm objective, it sounds like you're talking about the Lp 3-9x40. Any particular reason for so much magnification? Both of my 336's use Lp 2x20mm's and that combo makes for a perfect package IMO.

BTW I used a couple of the VX-1's for a while - they're 'ok' - but I didn't like a couple things about them incl. the mushy click adjustments. Much better are the VX-2's IMO, ~$100 more but worth it I think. A neat little variable for that 336 would be the Lp 2-7x28mm ultralight perhaps ?

Edit: One thing I found out about trying Lp variables on the 336 - the power ring can require 'Medium' rings so that it can clear the scope base. My fixed 2x's can instead use Weaver 'Low' rings because of not having that issue.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use the Burris steel turn-in base and medium rings on mine. Burris calls them "Permamount" or something like that but they are identical to the Leupolds. The kind of places I do my hunting with a 336, a scope that large would be more of a hindrance than a help. It's not a matter of if it gets dropped or smacked by a tree branch but when. I think the small variables such as 1-4x20 or 2-7x28 are just about ideal.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have a Banner 3x9 on mine, low rings. You need to make sure the rings allow clearance of the rear sight and will allow hammer access. The side extension is mostly worthless - it won't stay on and chews up the hammer spur. Mine came with see-through rings but I replaced them, no parallax correction.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

this guy gets his head around something and won't let go, he's sold on the Leupolds. I'll suggest the lower power to him. I was worried about the rear sight clearance that's why I was asking about the rings/height.

Nothing at all wrong with his choice of scope, I just think most people find the 3-9x40 a bit large for that rifle and cartridge. I will say this, if he does alot of hunting in faint light the bigger objective does make things brighter. I've never felt the slightly better view justified a bulkier scope though.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I use straight tube 1 x 4 Leupolds on those 336 and similar models that are scoped. The lowest combination I have found is Weaver style 2 piece bases with Burris low rings. If you put a 3 x 9 Leupold high enough to clear the rear sight I'm afraid you won't be anywhere near achieving a good cheek weld. To my taste the straight tube scopes just look right on a lever rifle if one must have a scope.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I use straight tube 1 x 4 Leupolds on those 336 and similar models that are scoped. The lowest combination I have found is Weaver style 2 piece bases with Burris low rings. If you put a 3 x 9 Leupold high enough to clear the rear sight I'm afraid you won't be anywhere near achieving a good cheek weld. To my taste the straight tube scopes just look right on a lever rifle if one must have a scope.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    My thoughts exactly. All my lever actions have receiver sights or straight tube/low magnification scopes. As a bonus, even most cheap scopes of this type are pretty rugged.

Boolit Master
    There are many possibilities for the 336, Weaver makes 1 and 2 piece bases, Leupold, Millet, most everybody makes bases. A 'medium' ring will probably be needed for a 3-9 X 40. I haven't found much use for the powers under 2.5-3, mostly use 3, even on my 1-4 and 2-7's in the timber. I like 6 for antelope. The higher the better for load development, the 30-30 doesn't beat up a scope so most 'decent' scopes should last. I like scopes on my levers. Makes shooting through thick stuff or at moderate distance MUCH more effective. That 3" group might be 1.25" with a 10 power scope.

My super accurate Glenfield 30 wears a Swift 1.5-4.5x20 shotgun scope with Burris rings and bases. Darn good little scope for the money, I just leave it on 4.5. When and if I upgrade it I'm going with a VX-3 1-5x20. Yes, a $400.00 scope on a $200.00 rifle!

Boolit Master
    Just a couple pics to try to demonstrate the nice proportions of a fixed-power Leupold 2x Compact on the Marlin 336:

Edit: Actually, I may have newer pics after I mounted a shorter (i.e. a more modern M-336 revision) Weaver rail - these older ones were longer in front like that.
    (And no, the rail isn't just shifted forward - I've sectioned off the rear-most segment & mounting hole of the Weaver rail to provide a location for the Skinner Lo-Pro aperture sight.)

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-23-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Yup, that's what mine look like. Straight tube scopes are just perfect for lever actions and carbines. What year is your Texan? Mine is a '76, just gave her some exercise today in fact.

Weaver sold a ring/base combo which isn't currently catalogued. Medium height Quad-Lock rings and a one-piece base, part#49098.

Williams now has a combination receiver sight and scope base called the Ace in the Hole. If I were looking to get a 336 set up today, that and a set of quality QD rings is what I would roll with.

THAT is the setup right there. You could probably shoot Trap in the desert with it. (Texan/2xLeupold)
    Best, Thomas.

http://rangerpointstore.com/categori...il-sights.html

These are my favorite. Skinner Sights also has a mount with an integral peep sight

Boolit Master
    Grasshoppa -

I wanted a high clearance mount/rings, for my Weaver 36X ( shooting M-336 XLR .35 Rem as a target rifle ).

There are no manufacturers markings on the rings, but I can say that they were form a well-known supplier of muzzle loader items.

Plenty of height / clearance.

With regards,
    357Mag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xlr 004_800x600_600x450.JPG   xlr 002_800x600_600x450.JPG  

Boolit Master

thanks for the input. Scope was on its way already and when it gets here he'll get the rings/mount. A member suggested an ebay link to a weaver 336 set up, so he's probably going with that. Thanks again everyone.

357Mag, I hope there are no low flying aircraft in the vicinity!!

Boolit Bub
    Greetings,
    Mr KungFu, please recommend that your friend get a smaller size scope. A big one definitely gets in the way of Everything. I paid a gunsmith a lot of money to mount a Kahles 8 x 56 scope on my Western Auto 30-30. What a d%$ disaster. No cheek weld at all. Great light gathering scope for early morning hunting but not for the rifle on which it was mounted. Two mornings out and I was done. My hunting pardner said that he was surprised that I lasted for two times. Embarressed.
    Size the scope for the job to be done. Just my $.02

Follow Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast