Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 remington or 35 Whelen?

Boolit Buddy

35 remington or 35 Whelen?

I have a choice of two lightly used priced right rifles. I'm looking for something that I could use in close brush in Eastern Pa. I like what I read about both calibers. I'm drawn towards the Whelen as it seems to be bit more versatile, but how is the recoil? I tried a buddies 45-70 and handed it back. Granted it was with a very stout load, but too much for me. I don't think I would scope either rifle.

Boolit Master
    What rifles? The Marlin 336 is a good one for what you're doing. Get them both!
    Last edited by dualsport; 07-17-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: just because

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I weigh a whole 150 lbs and shoot a 375 Whelen regularly with 270 grainers when up north in the U.S. of A. A 35 Whelen would be of no issue if you were to shoot it regular. Put a slip on recoil pad on it. Start with 250 grainers at 1800 fps and work your way up to full power loads. It is real easy.

We shoot 35 Remington also. That is a powder puff round but will do in anything that still walks about the woods regularly east of the Big Muddy. The 336 will easily do you well mashing corn crunchers and Blackies.
    Just all gonna depend on if you want a lever action or bolt rifle to haul about... Unless the 35 Whelen is in a Win. 1895. That would be a dandy. We are looking one day to get a 375 Whelen in a 1895 built.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Unless you want to shoot heavier boolits and longer range, The 35 Rem is probably a great choice. Sadly I must confess I have both. If push came to shove I would rather have a 358 Win..
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Bub
    love my 35's. All things being equal check into reloading supplies and see how things are now. I know for a year or two 35 rem brass was very hard to find. I have a good stockpile so not an issue but I would see folks buying 35's and not being able to get factory loads or brass for the rifle. The bullets aren't that big of a deal and there are very good molds out for the 35 (usually a clone of the RCBS 200gr RN). I've got enough brass and bullets to last me a long time but I would think taking a look at the components might give you some additional things to consider between the two calibers.

My 35 was my grandfathers Rem 141 pump, shot my first deer with it. Also bought a contender barrel that's fun to shoot with 150-180gr SP bullets. Still need to find a nice NOE or RCBS 200gr RN mold... one of these days I'll see one on here for a good price that doesn't sell in 20 minutes. lol.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what levergun you will find in 35 Whelen unless you rebarrel a Browning. The Whelen is a super calibre and will almost equal a 375 H and H in power but here where we live it is pretty much overkill. I shoot a 35 Remington and with cast bullets at 2000 fps it has done a perfect job for me on deer and such.

Boolit Master

what is your prey? if it's close range stuff, a 35 rem is good for small bear down to small deer + hogs.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a 35 Whelen.....great round and as long as you can find 30-06 you can make your own brass. It was often referred to as a poor mans magnum and is a very great round.....

Still have the 35 Remington....great round and right up your alley for eastern PA. You cant go wrong with either......the 35 Whelen is a little more versatile and can be used at much longer ranges.

Good luck you wont go wrong with either....IMHO.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    The Whelen is in a Remington 7600 pump. I have a lever 308 -Browning BLR that is scoped. I was playing around with the idea of a iron sighted quickly deployed rifle that could be used in heavily wooded/brushy area.

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    The Whelen is in a Remington 7600 pump. I have a lever 308 -Browning BLR that is scoped. I was playing around with the idea of a iron sighted quickly deployed rifle that could be used in heavily wooded/brushy area.
    I know that it is no help in deciding to note that either rifle or round is very near to perfect for that job.

If you do not plan to go North or West or over the Water for bigger game the 35R is a more efficient case for your needs.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    And I'm starting to lean towards the 35 Rem. I looked at the costs of the Whelen ammo and it's around $2/rd. I know I can reload more cheaply, but still have to front the cost of brass and slugs. Thanks for all the replies.

Boolit Master
    As light weight as the 7600 is, I think it would have terrific recoil in 35 Whelen.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Well I'll throw my 2 cents in. Out of the two calibers you mention, and how and what your area offers to hunt, along with a decent mitagation of recoil I'd go with the 35 Rem for a few reasons. These are what I see as the pros.
    1. Lever action provides quick handling for brush and woods hunting.
    2. More than enought boolit weights available for all your areas hunting game animals.
    3. Open sights mentioned, levers are perfect for fulfilment of this desire.
    4. More than enough power in this caliber for your game animals.
    5. Effecient case to powder ratio.
    6. No mention of your desire to hunt either much larger game, or different topography requiring a longer reaching or power cartridge, and optics to fully utilize a longer reaching caliber.
    I would suggest that you put together a well stocked inventory of brass as the first order after getting you rifle.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Personally , I don't think most will have a major problem with recoil out of a 35 W.in Rem.7600.. I've had a couple & would still,but one of them is now a 9.3x62 ,courtesy of Jesse.O. i'll grant that with the 286 Gr.Nosler factory round recoil of the first shot will take you a bit off target for any following..Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    If you go with a 35 Rem cal marlin 336, try to find an early on with the conventional rifling
    rather than microgroove. So if you go (later?) with cast bullets you will have a better time of
    it with the conventional rifling, sometimes known as "ballard" rifling.
    Personally, I am still liking my Sav 110CL/Doug barrel, cal 358Win loaded with Paper Patched
    358318, 250 gr bullets clocking 2350fps. Great kill power, and its easy on the meat damage
    on large deer I have shot over the years. I do now also have a NOE 358-235 gr FN mold to try.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Comes down to "do I like the 7600" . Whelen is just an 06 into a 35 Whelen sizer and boolits are the same. If anything the 35 Rem could be harder to feed due to spotty brass availability. Recoil of a 200 RCBS at 2000 from a 35 W or 35 Rem will be hard to differentiate. Get the rifle you like, 35 are fun , shoot get both !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    I have a choice of two lightly used priced right rifles. I'm looking for something that I could use in close brush in Eastern Pa. I like what I read about both calibers. I'm drawn towards the Whelen as it seems to be bit more versatile, but how is the recoil? I tried a buddies 45-70 and handed it back. Granted it was with a very stout load, but too much for me. I don't think I would scope either rifle.
    Give .36 RPP a look.

Boolit Buddy
    "Give .36 RPP A look"....Yep exactly what I was going to say. if I was 20 years younger I would be waiting for My rifle now.http://www.rangerpointprecision.com/...rsion-to-36rpp

Moderator Emeritus

I've never hunted PA, but from what I understand, it's mostly hunting wooded areas where 100 yds. is a long shot. For that, I'd pick whichever was the faster handling and quickest in action. Even a hair quicker can make a difference in the woods on deer sometimes. Other than that, I won't be worrying about you whichever you choose. Both will kill deer very handily. And if you go with the Whelen, give the 220 gr. Speer JFP's a try. Those were designed for the old .35 Win. round, and a vel. of @ 2300 fps or a little less. In a Whelen, or in a friend's .35/.284, they'll really do a job on whitetails! Just a FWIW.

Boolit Master
    If you can handle the recoil of a 30-06 180 gr you'll find the 35 Whelen nearly the same in shoulder felt recoil.

35 Remington has a dedicated cult following. Always bloviating their 35 is better than either the 30-30 or the 32 Special with its dropping of thin skin Big Game. But ballistic stats often show differently.

Um kind's particle to the 32 Special. I personally think the 32 Special at least equals and more often than not betters its two cousins across the board. One thing the 35 remingtons chambering can't match. Longevity of its brass. Not believing? Just ask someone who shoots a 35 barreled Contender. Split necks seen after two or thee hand reloadings of their 35 is very likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast