RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Shot my Taurus Thunderbolt for the first time today.

Boolit Master

Shot my Taurus Thunderbolt for the first time today.

I know its not a leever but this is the best place to talk about it.

I have had it for a while now. I took some good advice from here and bought the RCBS 225 Cav mold. I annealed some starline brass and loades 9gr of Unique. This is my first 45lc. It really shoots nice.
    Not too loud ot of the 26" barrel and no recoil. The gun functioned great with these bullets.

Only thing is dont like is the rear sight. Im going to change it.

I was not sure thati was going to like this gun. That all went away. I may end up with a 45LC lever!

Boolit Buddy
    Mine has been a lot of fun using various cast round flat nose and hollow point loads. It will also fire if you hold the trigger back while you operate the action quickly, which impresses only the ill-informed,and rapidly depresses the ammunition supply. Since I am among the ill-informed,I'll likely stay short on 45 Colt ammo for awhile.I was also pleasantly surprised with its accuracy out to 150 yards and more with Mihec's 454460,and hope your new sight works out.

I really want one, didnt pull the trigger on one this winter because i could not find anyone on here to say something nice about them. VERY glad to hear you like yours! if i come across another.......

I've got a stainless Thunderbolt in .357 Magnum, but I've only shot it a couple of times. It really hasn't won me over, so it's probably going to go up for sale. I'm more of a lever action shooter, though, so that may account for my preference to my dozen plus lever guns.......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've got a stainless Thunderbolt in .357 Magnum, but I've only shot it a couple of times. It really hasn't won me over, so it's probably going to go up for sale. I'm more of a lever action shooter, though, so that may account for my preference to my dozen plus lever guns.......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    lemme know when it does !

Boolit Master
    Im looking at marbles barrel sights. Im thinking simi buckhorn and a gold dot front. The sights on it really suck.

Just an wanted to add something about the way the gun handles. Frist off its a 26" bbl but the same length as my Uberti 1873 24". The gun is light and slim. It really handled nicely. The action is tight and stiff to operate. I hope it loosens up with use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0302172002.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	199523

Boolit Master
    My best friend has one. It's a shooter!
    We (I do the casting, he loads the loads I worked up) run the Lee 255gr RFN OVER 8.2gr of Universal, very close to your 9.0 Unique.

He installed a tang aperture sight. (Marbles?). We got the Sheriffs office called on us as nosey neighbor thought we were shooting a machine gun.
    He's taken deer with the Taurus. No bullets recovered yet!

We've shot lots of armadillo's with it too (my "hillbilly assault rifle", as we call them), is a Winchester M94 "Legacy w/24"bbl). The bullet impact is louder than the muzzle report, which resembles a bass .22lr. Armadillos roll over and wave goodbye.
    Just remember that it's an antique design and the steels may be modern, but won't take a lot of abuse from high pressure loads. Stick with loads you'd shoot through a N-frame S&W. Forget Ruger only loads. Not needed or desirable.