RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 5744 in a RCBS uniflow

Boolit Master

5744 in a RCBS uniflow

Last night I was reloading some 45/70 rounds. I had a batch with a 300 gr NOE boolit. No problem. I switched to 5744. This was the first time I used this powder. It has small kernels so I loaded up the hopper and set the 29 gr load on my scale and then things went to hell.
    The Uniflow had the pistol cylinder in it. The first drop was fine , right on the money. The second drop did not drop so I worked the arm again and it filled pan full. I checked the chute and it was clear of spider webs or debris.
    I ended up weighing each charge by slapping the uniflow before moving the handle.
    Should I have used the rifle cylinder for this powder? Never had a problem like this in 45 yrs of reloading. I have two Uniflow: one for pistol and one for rifle.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Banned

I'd run the rifle one and see.
    also try a double tap on the up and down stroke of the handle.
    I do that on all my powder dumps except the plastic LEE one, I just use it for 4198.

I can't talk myself into trying 5744.

Boolit Grand Master

Wiping the hopper and measure down with a dryer sheet may help some if its a static issue. Almost sounds like damp powder. The other ting to try might be a pusher in the hopper. A disc that just slides freely in the hopper with a rod and weight on top. It dosnt take a lot of weight to have a real effect on the flow. Mine has a medium size pill bottle on top and I use lose lead shot in it. Makes it easy to adjust the weight

Boolit Master

The kenals of extruded powder can bridge in the Uniflow (or any dispenser for that matter). I get best results by slowing the flow from the metering cylinder into the drop tube. It is a different pace, but works. For short-grained powders, +/- 2 tenths variation is typical. Longer, more stubborn kernels like IMR 4350 are slightly worse. Those are a drop-and-trickle proposition.

I agree with swapping for the large cylinder.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to go with the double tap for that powder. May not be perfect, but closer than you are getting. Try it before resorting to weighing each charge.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

I use the standard drum that came with the RCBS powder measure and never had a problem. The only time I had a problem was when trying to get tightgroup down low enough without the drum itself getting jammed in the housing. I use 5744 in several rifle calibers and I like it except for the price.

Boolit Master
    I took apart the Uniflow. There was some gunk and cleaned it all up. No sign of spider webs to obstruct the flow.
    I mark the bottle of 5744 to use the rifle Uniflow.
    Leadmelter
    MI