Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Any one have a Beeman P17 pistol

Any one have a Beeman P17 pistol

If so how do you like or did like it .Marvin

Boolit Master

Bought one used a couple years ago and it is very accurate. Easy to cock and load. I also have a 1377 and like the P17 better because of the single pump.

wcp4570

Bought one 2 weeks ago and love it.

My only downside to this pistol is loading it. Getting fatter fingers close to the breech end of the barrel is not easy.

The solution is to buy one of those pellet pens, and use a dremel to make a large enough hole to get it in there. Watch out for that crossbar that the gun latch's on. Don't want to weaken that.

It has an automatic safety that for me became a bit of a pain. It is essentially a teeter toter lever with a spring. When the top is opened, cylinder raises up some, allowing the spring to push the lever up, putting it on safe. When the top is closed this pushes the lever back down, allowing the gun to be put on fire. But you had to do it for every shot. So I took a punch, punched out the pin that holds lever and spring into place, removed them and put the pin back.

Safety still works, but is no longer automatic, is now fully manual.

On the positive side, there are several.

A The best trigger of any gun of any type or kind that I have ever owned bar none. This trigger is awesome! It is both light, short and predictable.

B Accurate It is still cold outside, and I can't shoot 10 meters inside, but at across the living room distances it rocks.

C Single pump, aprox 400 fps. It does take a certain amount of cocking force.

D Dovetail rail on top for scope/red dot. Mine has a truglo red dot on it at the moment.

I shot a pin yesterday. One of those little plastic push pins. Nailed it dead on.

Considering the extremely low price, the simplicity of construction, and the possible accuracy IMO this pistol is a must have for anyone who likes to shoot.

You can fill a cardboard box with near anything to use as a pellet trap. A phone book would be overkill. Mine is filled with pieces of a kids rubberized floor mat. And shoot indoors to your hearts content. Keep your shooting eye and your trigger finger tuned.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the best shooting purchases I've made. Mine doesn't have GH's accuracy, though I might just not have found the right pellet. I've started shooting a couple 10 shot groups from a rest with each tin I buy to see if I can find the perfect pellet. At 21 ft I got about an inch group off the last tin. I'll get pics of my trap and groups I've gotten later.

For the price of 100 rounds of pistol ammo you can put 500 rounds downrange. And once you're shooting at its limit, you can start doing weak hand shooting, behind cover, time pressure etc. Lately I've been working on the "press out" drill, going from high ready to full extension and firing as soon as you're at extension.

Like GH said, a phone book could be overkill. The first trap I made was a wine box stuffed with paper, and the pellets bounced right off. I had to remove a few inches between my target face and the beginning of the trap. Later I made one with an angled back. The stock sights are good and adjustable and it will be a long while before you outgrow it. Good buy.

My 9mm Federal FMJ 124 gr cost me 24$ a hundred.

For 24$ you can buy 1500 rounds of the Crossman Premier Hollow Points in .177. 6.28$ ea at amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now if your talking costs to reload 9mm vs Pellets you are probably getting pretty close.

Fiber optic sights on the pistol are good, 2 different colors, makes them pop right out.

Mine right out of the box at 10 feet would put 5 in one hole. If, and that is a big IF I did my end right. But the pistol would do it.

I have tried only 2 pellets in mine. I had a tin of 250 daisy pointed .177 pellets. But I also ordered a 500 tin of Crossman Premier Hollowpoints in .177.

Personally I have become something of a fanboi for the Crossman Premiers. For me they work very very well in everything I have shot them in. In only one case a Chinese B-3 underlever they were not the most accurate pellet by far.

I will admit I have not spent a lot of money trying the premium pellets. I much prefer 1.3-1.5 cents per shot compared to near the cost of .22lr per shot for the high end stuff.

So no crow mag's or Barracuda's here. Just a big big stash of CPHP's and a couple thousand Crossman Premier Ultra Magnum domes I found at Walmart for the same price as the CPHP's.

For the price you can't go wrong.

I want one now in .22 and next month I want one to tinker with. Hmmmm Long barrel perhaps.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 03-22-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I meant cost of 100 pistol rounds = cost of the pistol + a tin of pellets.

Per unit the price can't be beat. And you can save up the used pellets and toss'em in your next casting session too.

edit:
    based on the prices I see for .38 special in my area.

Ultimately, it's a tool you won't quickly outgrow and a boatload of fun too

I have a Beeman P17 and they are pretty hard to beat for the price. I've paid a lot more for airguns and got a lot less power and accuracy. Gp

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have Beeman P17 and also the Beeman P3, both are great shooters. For the money I don't think one can beat the P17 tho.
    Last edited by jcwit; 03-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Thanks for the info

I ordered one with the red dot which was about 3 dollars more . It has the sights as well so I can take the RD off if I do not like it Never had a red dot so for that price I thought I would give it a try . I ordered some beeman WC and daisy WC as well . Cheap pellets less than 5 dollars per 500 but I have had good accuracy with daisy WC in .22 caliber . Had look at the Tauras 24/7 spring air soft for indoors as well . But might hold off and see what this is like after reading your reports of in door use . I bought this and the 2240 for out door use . The Tauras is under 30 dollars and shoots 12g balls around 350 fps . And the ammo is cheap and re useable as well . But pellets are salvageable too. Marvin

Mine is currently sitting with an 11$ 11mm dovetail to weaver rail adapter, and a 60$ Truglo Red Dot sight. I tried one of those cheap ones, terribad. No way to throttle the glare down at all.

I do run mine at the lowest intensity. Which IMO does decrease it's apparent size a bunch.
    And I am not shoot at 10 meters. My target is currently sitting on my dining room table less than 3 paces away.

I have hit pins a couple times but don't let me convince you I can do it every time on command.

Still, I would venture to say except for the occasional flyer (Me or bad pellet???) 9 out of 10 could be covered with a dime.

I am on the hunt now for a suitable .22 pencil barrel so I can try converting one to .22. I know, but hey, if your going to tinker, at least it is not expensive.

I have heard that report about the RD before .But for around 3 dollars I thought I would give it a try . Been looking at a pistol scope for about 50 dollars but I want to see what the out come of this is . And also see if I can use the sights .Good luck on the barrel hunt .Marvin

Excellent pistol for more than twice the price. Accurate with a nice trigger. Find the pellet it likes and they wil one hole at 10 yards easy. Velocity is pretty much target only.
    Only problem some have is eating the o-rings on the piston. You will know it when it happens as velocity falls way off fast. While open check for burrs in cylinder and remove them. This is what causes the o-ring to get chewed up. Add a bit of lube on the sear while in there as well.
    Easy to replace. Another Airgun Blog has a nice tear down and seal replacement post: http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/search?q=p17
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Eagle View Post
    Excellent pistol for more than twice the price. Accurate with a nice trigger. Find the pellet it likes and they wil one hole at 10 yards easy. Velocity is pretty much target only.
    Only problem some have is eating the o-rings on the piston. You will know it when it happens as velocity falls way off fast. While open check for burrs in cylinder and remove them. This is what causes the o-ring to get chewed up. Add a bit of lube on the sear while in there as well.
    Easy to replace. Another Airgun Blog has a nice tear down and seal replacement post: http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/search?q=p17
    Thanks for the link .Marvin

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

One good link!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I have been thinking about getting a P17 myself, looks to be a good lil shooter

It is accurate and inexpensive . Good sights and does have a rail for scope or RD . The 2 draw backs are the stated 28 pound cocking which can be over come with experimenting until you find what works for you and the pellet loading as well . But after a little practice it is not a real big deal . Beeman told me rebuild parts are available as well .Marvin