Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pins getting stuck inside the cases.

Boolit Bub

Pins getting stuck inside the cases.

I made a tumbler using a piece of 6 inch pvc pipe . I have 4 3/4 inch risers inside the pipe to agitate the brass . My pins are getting stuck inside the 223 cases . Not sideways but they are stacked inside long ways . I have 10 pounds of pins and am trying to clean 10 pounds of cases . What am I doing wrong?

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure if that ratio is right. Try less next time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What size pins are you using?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I use 5 pounds of pins, with about 10 pounds of brass. I also use a rotary sifter which seems to help dislodge pins still in cases. But I do it twice. Once when out of the rinse, and again after the cases are dry. The pins came with the Lyman cyclone. Perhaps yours are just a little too long and you need something smaller for the 223? Source of your pins?

Boolit Bub
    I bought the pins off ebay. They are .060x.251. They got packed in pretty tight. It did not clean the primer pockets at all . I let them run for 3.5 hours. The outside were clean but not any cleaner than they normally are with citric acid and dawn by it's self.

Banned
    So, what size / diameter pins are needed? Where does one purchase them at a reasonable cost?

Boolit Master
    I use Guntap pins which are a little smaller .255x.047 but I think you have too much brass in your container. Also it may be your riser is too high and your scooping your brass and it isn't tumbling your brass. I would first cut back on the brass, if that doesn't change anything you might want to lower your agitator and maybe add 2-3 smaller ones maybe 1" high. I use a Frankford Arsenal Planetary tumbler, 10lbs pins & fill the tumbler about 2/3 full of brass and pins, add water to 1" from the top. What is your total gal. capacity of your container?

Boolit Buddy

Mine measure .047x .250 , I get some stuck in the flash hole once in a while,but very seldom.I think mine came from Midway,can't remember for sure.I run 6"x12" tubes with 5 lbs. in each and run 2 hrs. with lemi shine and wash and wax car soap (don't have the tarnish problem in storage that way).Haven't cleaned a primer pocket in years,just the initial uniforming.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

If you want to get the brass to re-orient on axis (change position, neck to base...flop over) in the tumbler...maybe you could alternate the ribs inside. Cut them in half and alternate them from top to bottom...no agitators that run full length from top to bottom of the tumbler.

The way you have it I sorta visualize the bottleneck...longer brass and the pins sorting themselves out and rolling continuously oriented in one position. Maybe the pins wouldn't try to collect inside the cases if the brass were actually swapping ends in the pipe and having a chance to dump pins out or at least stop them from packing inside so tightly?

Just a 'WAG'...thought I'd mention it.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the ideas. I will try them out one at a time to see which one works . Thanks Mike

Boolit Master

I use the chips from Southern Shine Tumblers. No chance they could get stacked.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Bub
    My set up is the 6 inch pvc pipe 17 inches long . I have a jig I made of wood and two casters and I it is set up so I can run It on a treadmill.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    My drum is 8".
    I fill it no more than 20-25% with brass and half weith of brass in pins, then i fill almost to the top with warm water, acid and Dawn.
    Once or twice a year i have 2 pins plugging a flashhole and when i tumble 4,6x30 one in 500 will have a single pin wedged inside.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Wet tumbling is not the same as dry, no need for the brass to be covered with pins.
    Quite the opposite, less is more as they slush around and "scratch" dirt off the cases.

If you stuff a washing machine to the brim the result is sub par, the same can be said for SS pins.

Boolit Bub
    I cut back on the amount of cases and it worked ok. I was told that a one to one ratio was what was recommended . Oh well , as long as it works . Thanks Mike

I'm new to wet tumbling but right off the pins were annoying me. Always afraid they'd get down my drain or inside a charged case. I have been tumbling without any pins and boy, I think that's the way for me. Cases look great outside, dirty inside, and I don't care! As a bonus, you can put like 2x more cases inside the tumbler. I just dump them rinse and done. The pins only help to clean the primer pockets and maybe I'm no OCD but I don't care about primer pocket hygiene it turns out.

Too many pins. I use a tumbler as mentioned above, plus go over them with the Frankfort Arsenal magnet(worth its weight in gold). Do t have any problems

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I'm new to wet tumbling but right off the pins were annoying me. Always afraid they'd get down my drain or inside a charged case. I have been tumbling without any pins and boy, I think that's the way for me. Cases look great outside, dirty inside, and I don't care! As a bonus, you can put like 2x more cases inside the tumbler. I just dump them rinse and done. The pins only help to clean the primer pockets and maybe I'm no OCD but I don't care about primer pocket hygiene it turns out.
    You're missing the single greatest benefit of pin tumbling, the inside of the necks being squeeky clean and the reduced drag of the expander button on rifle dies and the neck expander plug on pistol dies. I believe this reduced drag has increased my case life. Since I began using the wet pin tumbling system, ive noticed a significant drop in the number of lost cases iget. I'm using a a batch of 44 Magnum cases that were given to me used and I used them prior to pin tumbling ans was used to seeing 2-4 cases lost every couple of firings. I use mild loads, 6 grains of Titegroup and 220 grain boolits. I began using the wet pin tumbling system about a year ago and I really can't remember the last time I've lost a case. I've been reloading 30+ years and I've not seen this before. I'm seeing this across the board, including rifle cases. Yeah, pin separation after cleaning is a PITA. But the benefit outweighs the hassle by a long shot

You will get more drag on squeeky clean brass as the carbon on dirty inside necks acts as a lubricant.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    You will get more drag on squeeky clean brass as the carbon on dirty inside necks acts as a lubricant.

I use Mothers Car Wash and Wax. It has a carnuba wax component and when the cases are dry have a quite slick feel to them. It is also obvious in sizing cases that the wax finish aids in reducing sizing forces. I used to not clean my cases at all. Necks would stick so hard on the expander ball and expander plug that I took to wiping a q-tip with Lee case lube and wiping the inside of the neck to reduce the friction. There is a residue fromm the wax of bullet lube being burned on firing which creates this sticking problem. Many use Dawn and Lemishine in their tumblers, I began by doing so, and that alone made a huge difference. But the Wash and Wax is by far the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast