Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Henry article

Boolit Buddy

Henry article

Just read a real interesting article in the newest "guns of the old west" magazine.
    The author put a Henry golden boy 22 through a torture test to see how it would hold up.
    He fired a total of 28,000 rounds as fast as he could (not all in one sitting naturally). No cleaning except after a couple ftes, he sprayed some lube on the bolt.
    When it was all over, he sent it to the smith at Henry for a checkup. The only thing wrong was a broken .30 cent spring, (not to mention a LOT of gunk)!
    That's really saying something for Henry's quality!

Boolit Buddy
    Read about it in much greater detail over here: Henry Golden Boy Endurance Run
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Griff
    Just checked it out. VERY good thread!
    Tom

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    After deciding to put the 464 OOS for a trip to Texas I gave my Henry H001T some exercise. Love that rifle, it is much more accurate than I am. The bore shines like a mirror, one wet patch and one dry patch is all it ever needs. I would not trade it for a Marlin 39 or Winchester 9422 unless I could turn around and sell the latter and buy two or three of the former!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

In Remembrance
    At present I do not own any henrys, but am a made in America Henry fan, and would buy one anytime over a foreign built firearm. I have never (so far) heard one single bad word as far as their customer service goes.
    All that said, I will not be trading my 39A for a henry during this lifetime.

Of course not, I would never trade my 336 Texan or pinpoint accurate Glenfield 30. Doesn't mean you can't have a Henry too!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I had the chance last weekend to put a brand new Henry H001M .22 WMR through its paces and compare it side by side to my 1980 vintage Winchester 9422M. On it's own the Henry is a functional and capable rifle, but it's really nothing compared to the Winchester. Plastic front sight, plastic barrel bands, forearm was about 1/8" too short and moved when handled...Not to mention the front sight was way too wide. I realize the Golden Boy's are a step up from the base models but with a price tag over $400, I think they could do a little better.

I wonder if the rifle you got was old stock? My understanding is Henry stopped using plastic barrel bands and sights a few years ago. I bet if you ask them nicely Henry would send you all those parts for free!

My H001T is a step above the standard H001 and is only ~$60.00 more. The only real differences between it and a Marlin or Winchester is the zinc/aluminum receiver and the price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I wonder if the rifle you got was old stock? My understanding is Henry stopped using plastic barrel bands and sights a few years ago. I bet if you ask them nicely Henry would send you all those parts for free!

My H001T is a step above the standard H001 and is only ~$60.00 more. The only real differences between it and a Marlin or Winchester is the zinc/aluminum receiver and the price tag.
    Not my rifle, but it was purchased just last week from a large retailer. It could be old stock, who knows.

They're popular rifles, and like I said there wasn't anything functionally wrong with it, just aesthetically​. I've owned 2 of the basic H001's over the years and never could warm up to them. I have a 1959 Marlin 39A and the Win 9422M I mentioned before, and couldn't be happier with either one. I met Mr. imperato at the NRA show in Indy a few years ago and he was a nice guy. He has built a very successful American business, which is something I admire. His rifles just don't impress me though. If you're happy with your Henry, more power to you.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my Henry base model. Got it a number of years ago and it has the funky plastic parts. Good little gun but not near the 9422...but I do not worry about it getting dinged up either.
    Don Verna

I like the fact that my H001T is a good looking rifle that shoots well and is also still in production and wouldn't cost a bunch and/or take a lot of searching to replace. Yes, I love old iron as much as anyone but I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with the H001T.

I had to look up which one was the H001T. Looks like the octagon barrel version has a nice set of sights on it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

In Remembrance
    Of course not, I would never trade my 336 Texan or pinpoint accurate Glenfield 30. Doesn't mean you can't have a Henry too!
    I am not saying I will never own one, but at this stage in life I am not actively looking. I have no need for any more 22's period.
    Since I have levers in 45/70, 45 colt, 44 mag, 30/30, 308 mx, 300 savage, 22 and 22 mag, I am just not hurting for any at present. lol
    I do not have a 357, and wouldn't mind having one for the wife.
    I am a little interested in the new 223 as I do not own a 223 anything, but have a couple of 222 bolt guns so am not really in a rush there either and want to see them after they come out with sights.

Boolit Master
    I'm way past 28K rounds on my H001L. I have 3 Marlin rimfires all as NIB. 2- 1958 39a and a 1969 Mountie. I think I bought the Henry in 2006 with a coupon for just a few bucks over $200 dollars. I have done 2 up grades. Henry sent me a hand polished hammer & trigger at no charge to lighten the trigger pull and I put Hi Viz sights on it because my old eyes are shot. I bought it to shoot pests around the house, about 500 rounds a month and it has never failed to fire. The walnut in the stock is exceptional for a factory rifle. Still looks like the day I pulled it out of the box. Henry makes a quality rifle and if you do have some issues they will take care of you with no BS.

That is a BIG difference.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.