RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: My labor of love bullet feeder for the star

Boolit Buddy

My labor of love bullet feeder for the star

Hey guys well I’m the new guy on the block here but want to show you my homemade bullet feeder for my star. I started this last summer trying to get all the ideas that I could use from base down feeders and trying to figure out the process of getting them to flip. So with that being said I had the hopper mounted on a set of horses for a long time just adjusting the angle of the hopper for best results. And modifying the plates, trial and error on my end but I was lucky, with a little JB weld I could repair any of the notches that didn’t work. So back to bench testing as I said had it on work horses for a long time checking how and if it worked. I would drop a hand full of bullets in at a time and watch to see where the hang ups were making adjustments along the way. I’d get home from work everyday and out the shop I went and same routine throw a hand full and watch, real boring but I wanted as close to 100% out of this. This went on for a least a week before I was satisfied. With that pretty well done move over to making the frame up, had the steel laying around and a piece of plate for the base. So got that all welded up mounted it to the bench behind the press. Then had to figure out how the bullets got fed to the press and come up with my own method, I have a lot of wood around the shop from projects and material of choice. I have all the tools for woodworking, had a electromagnet unit I had from something else. So I made that work for me. Then had to work on the switch system to turn the motor on and off and found a guy on the web that showed how to build a circuit board with infrared sensors (GREAT at 60 I built my first circuit board!!) That was interesting to say the least. And IT WORKED!! So had it finally all hooked up and would run a few hundred thru it with some minor adjustments. So then it sat until I ran my next batch of lead. So not long ago I got on my casting kick and ran 3100 200g SWC 45's . So now it’s time this monster to deliver, got the heated base with PID got the feeder all set to go. Oh I did put a longer shaft on it to make the pull easier with a roller handle. So away I go, man this thing ran sweet but also turned into an exercise machine but at the end of 3100 bullets I only had ONE! That didn’t flip. So now what, how to show folks this so I got me a Youtube channel. Ok let’s getter done but I was coming down with a bad cold at the time but I did it anyway so you’ll hear me stumble with some of my words(hey the whole filming crew was sick) and I was the whole crew. So that is how this started. ENJOY

Boolit Master

pretty slick, thanks for sharing.

Boolit Bub
    Great work!

Boolit Man
    Really nice work!!!!!

Boolit Master
    The ingenuity and originality on this forum continues to amaze me.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Harry!
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    Some really good ideas and execution. I used to have the old style bullet feeder on a Star set up for .38 WC bullets and regretted ever getting it. Loading the tubes was a bother, even when I started using DEWC so I did not need to worry about bullet orientation. This is vast improvement...the only downside could be doing a caliber change. If that could be accomplished with just changing the plate...a real winner.

One thing to suggest. Instead of a second manual feeder to put through a lubed bullet, put a few lubed bullets into the collator whenever you added more virgin bullets. Others give the bullets a shot of One Shot.

Again, great job and thanks for posting
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    That's some cool stuff! Welcome to the forum.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys your hospitality has been great here. Necessity is the mother of invention is the way I look at it and if you own it know how to fix it. I like sharing my ideas if it helps anyone, and sometimes I just want to know more. Just watched this for the first time since I put it up and the end of the video it shows more videos and saw there was another one I did on there. Some reloading tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVDiHVjs8oQ

But if you see (The Backyard Inventor) listed that’s me. So once again thanks for the warm welcome. Only got a few videos out but I’ll be doing more
    Last edited by Harry Tobin; 03-22-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Man
    Excellent work! I like it. My hat's off to you sir!

Boolit Master
    nice!

Boolit Master

Very nice work Harry. Making our own reloading tools is a fun & gratifying part of the hobby.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Very impressive.

Moderator Emeritus

Simply amazing...great job ..... and welcome....you will be right at home!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

thanks for taking the time to make that video

Cool Beans, Thanks for sharing your work with us ��
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Perma-Banned

Nice,

Looks like a winner!

Boolit Master

Nice! Yet another way to skin the cat.

Harry
    Some of us work metal. Some of us work wood. You inspire us by using such nice wood AND THEN using such nice finish on the completed project.
    Great work !
    Your feeder plate gave me an idea for how mine should be made. Thanks.

Please continue posting your projects. We're here to learn from everyone else.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789