MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Seating tight gas checks.

Boolit Buddy

Seating tight gas checks.

Good evening,
    Yesterday I decided to size and put gas checks on some boolits. I had used up the last box of .30 cal checks, so I opened a new box from Hornady and got ready to start. Imagine my surprise when the first one was really tight??? So tight that I couldn't get it to start on the boolit. I grabbed another boolit and tried again, slightly better but still way to tight. I tried another on a different style of boolit and No Problem. Now I am baffled?? Last batch of these boolits the gas check went on like normal. All I can come up with is the alloy blend is casting a touch larger. They weigh about 2grs more than the last batch, and this box of checks might be a bit smaller....so rather than trim the edge of 500 boolits I used this set up. Worked like a charm!
    Two "rare earth" magnets holding a large washer for a flat surface and the die as a square flat to press the boolit against.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170319_200922.jpg  
    Last edited by bullseye67; 03-22-2017 at 02:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

I have one 30 cal mold that makes a slightly over sized GC shank. I have a couple of old boxes of Hornady 30 cal GCs...they fit fine. I have bought new Hornady GCs (in the shiney boxes) and they are a bugger to seat on the fat shanked boolits, but fit my other 30 cal boolits fine...also the Gator's are also a bugger to seat on the fat ones.

I'm guessing that Hornady 'tightened' up their specs (or re-tooled?) sometime about 10 or 15 years ago?

A friend made me a 30 cal GC expander, works great, but is time consuming.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

As said above. NOE makes a gas check flaring tool to flare the edges alittle more. Got the same problem on a 32z20 mold.

ETA: I need to get some sagebrush checks.

Boolit Buddy
    The gas checks are just a bit to tight to force on with my thumb. I just needed a slightly stronger "thumb" to press them on. I have a check maker on its way. I am glad I cast these boolits up to include a couple of samples so he could measure and make sure the checks would fit. I have a 357 200gr boolit that I need to just break the edge off the base and the gas checks go on easily. Next time I cast a bunch with it I am going to try the "washer" trick.

Boolit Master

My new checks are doing the same thing (Hornady).My alloy and bullet have not changed.I'm using a punch and hammer to open them up some.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    Lyman makes a plug that fits under the sizing die that will get stubborn gas checks on. I've used a top punch and a plastic mallet in a pinch.

Having tight gas checks is an age old problem. We anneal the gas checks and them flair them a tad for a good fit. There are many ways to flair the checks. I just place the check on a hard surface, place an 8mm Lyman M die expanding plug on it and lightly rap it with a soft hammer.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I have a couple of old boxes of Hornady 30 cal GCs...they fit fine. I have bought new Hornady GCs (in the shiney boxes) and they are a bugger to seat on the fat shanked boolits, but fit my other 30 cal boolits fine...also the Gator's are also a bugger to seat on the fat ones.

I'm guessing that Hornady 'tightened' up their specs (or re-tooled?) sometime about 10 or 15 years ago?
    I'm experiencing this same problem. I used the last of my 30 cal Hornady checks that I've had for about 15yrs, and opened a new box. Low and behold, they are too tight.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Hello All; Here's what I've found to work well for tight checks. I picked up a 7/8X14 bolt at a local machine shop and filed the face flat. Using this bolt like a die in my small Lee C-press I set a check on a NOE check expander and bring it up against the bolt as the opposing face. This lets you adjust the amount of expansion you need to fit different sized shanks buy turning the bolt up to the point you get just enough expansion to get the check on and not so much that the check is over flaring. Gp

Boolit Master
    I have three molds that are a bit tight in the butt for gas check seating. For two of these I have the dies to run them through the Star sizer; poke bullet down to a bit below level with top of die, slide gas check over into position, and give the handle a quick "pop". Gas check seated perfect. Then just continue the stroke to size/lube.
    But one seldom-used bullet needs to go through the old Lyman, so I want the checks seated ahead of time. For this one I put the checks on top of my wood stove (which has a false-top so the top isn't clear to egg-frying temp). You might use an electric skillet, or steel plate on top of a hot plate -- something to heat those checks up a bit north of 200 degrees I'd guess. Then a cool bullet base goes nicely into a heat expanded check.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye67 View Post
    Good evening,
    Yesterday I decided to size and put gas checks on some boolits. I had used up the last box of .30 cal checks, so I opened a new box from Hornady and got ready to start. Imagine my surprise when the first one was really tight??? So tight that I couldn't get it to start on the boolit. I grabbed another boolit and tried again, slightly better but still way to tight. I tried another on a different style of boolit and No Problem. Now I am baffled?? Last batch of these boolits the gas check went on like normal. All I can come up with is the alloy blend is casting a touch larger. They weigh about 2grs more than the last batch, and this box of checks might be a bit smaller....so rather than trim the edge of 500 boolits I used this set up. Worked like a charm!
    Two "rare earth" magnets holding a large washer for a flat surface and the die as a square flat to press the boolit against.
    I literally just got my first gas checks to put on some cast boolits and have a Lee press. I really like this!! Thanks!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Boolit Mold
    If you are using any flat nosed or semi wad cutter type bullets, just mount any Lee bullet sizing die in the press and insert the bullet punch for that particular die into the die from below. Wrap some tape around the shaft of the punch so it doesn't fall out of the die. Mount another bullet punch in the ram and place your bullet and ill-fitting GC on top of the punch as if you were going to send both the bullet and GC up through the sizing die. Bring the ram up while holding the bullet with your finger to make sure the bullet remains square to the face of the bullet punch as it makes contact. Gently press the bullet onto the GC. If you do it carefully, you shouldn't deform the nose of the lead bullet. You can then run the bullet and GC through the sizing die as you normally would.

If you are using bullets with a point, you can use your bullet seating die (assuming it already conforms to the shape of the bullet nose to avoid damaging it when the GC is pressed on) to seat the GC. Just back the bullet seating die all the way out, place your bullet punch in the ramp and place the bullet and GC on the punch. Run the punch all the way up and then bring the seating die down until it contacts the bullet. You can then make fine adjustments to the seating die to seat the bullet in the GC.
    Last edited by Mr. Farknocker; 03-15-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had that problem with some Lee boolits. I asked them about it and they asked what mold I had. In less than a week I had a custom Gizmo that looked like a nose profile die that wasn't drilled all the way through. It works well, but a bit time consuming. I use the Lee sizer for my .30 call rifles.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I have noticed gas checks can vary by manufacturer and lot. I got the expander to be safe and for when i PC bullets.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~