RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AHHHH, the Joys of cheap ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Yes, I certainly recall that "inexpensive" ammo - thank goodness I'm making 8x what I made then. The $20/brick CCI Blazers and $25/brick CCI SV I just purchased is the cheapest .22LR I've ever bought.
    was talking about this specific topic of cheap good ammo not long ago with a shooting buddy....maybe a mistake in the stamping,but i'm still getting a box of 100 federal target & field 2 3/4 for 19$.in fact, i'm raiding my local wally world every week to stack up on the 20 box i've already piled up.

I went to a garage sale and the people were selling the 50 ammo cans. some had stuff in them ended up with 3 cans of powder 220 new in box 308, 90 308 reloads. 4 lbs or so of 158 grain 38/357 cast, 160 realoads of 38, 4 boxes of 45 acp aluminum HP. Don't remember what else but I am sure I am missing something. Got all this for 25 bucks. I did take all the reloads apart and salvages what was good and trashed the rest.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    I recall Winchester .22 Shorts for $.41 and .22 Short HPs for $.42. Try finding a brick of Winchester .22 Short ammo now. Mission impossible. In high school, one old lady ran a small country store. She always carried Peters .22 Shorts for $.50 a box./beagle
    https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=16763

Boolit Master
    Fresh out of the navy back in '67 and local gun shop fishing store had all the mil surp you could ever want. U.S., British,Argentine, German and others. Now the last bargain mil surp was the Greek HXP 303 British sold off by the Greek Gov't and Sportsmans Guide and others were selling it cheap. At least cheap considering what was out there prior to that ammo being available. Click bang 40's & 50's British 303, and what remained of the nice South African 303. Frank

When I was a kid we were always a little short on cash. We would head to the dump on Saturday
    with our 22s. There was a little Ma & Pa store/ gas station at the city limits. We would pool our
    money and buy as many boxes of shorts we could. They were 20 some cents a box. We could do
    a lot more shooting for our buck with shorts. Now shorts are specialty ammo. I just bought shorts
    on line for about $1.25 a box shipped. The guy had 3000 and I bought them all. From boxes they
    are from 70s & 80s, they were stored ok and shoot like a charm. The only 22 ammo I have bought
    since the panic was CCI standard velocity at $3 per box, that frosts me but I needed them to plink
    with a 41 S&W instead of burning up target ammo. In the 80s I bough up a lot of ammo from
    stores that were going out of business. I would walk in and offer to buy all the ammo and usually
    I got a very good deal. Then in 92 I went out of business myself and I kept all the ammo. I've still
    got cases of Remington Gold in the gift packs of 500rds in Tins.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I recognize several of those boxes - in fact, I think I still have some full boxes in my stash that are in identical boxes - I'm really feeling old now as I guess I have forgotten how long ago I bought them!

When I was a kid, we got our 22s from the local hardware - owned and run by a cousin who in later years was like a second Dad to me - an old Marine who served int he Pacific only he wasn't "old" when I was a kid. I don't remember what the sales tax was in those days - maybe 2%? We could walk right in, slap our 50 cents on the counter and walk out with a box of 50 22 LR cartridges - Remington or Winchester IIRC. I think I still have a couple of those boxes kicking around. Those were the days . . . . hours spent in the woods hunting squirrels, in the marsh hunting rabbits and once in a while a red fox. We had an old
    Remington pump that finally broke and the gunsmith couldn't fix it. Dad bought a brand new Winchester pump 22 - a beautiful gun with nice rich looking walnut stock - my brother has it now and he still uses it. Normally, I would buy boxes of 22 short - they were around 35 cents a box IIRC and I shot those out of my Dad's old 1915 Stevens Favorite. I still have the Favorite - haven't shot it in many years but it sure gives me a lot of good memories of my Dad and of all the wandering through the woods and fields on the farm when I was a kid.

Boolit Master

We had a place upstate from NYC near Allergerville NY that the whole family would retreat to in the early 50's. My Dad let me use his Savage Model 23 Bolt .22 LR. There was an ancient frame barn in the small village in Allergerville adjacent to the bridge over the Roundout creek that had been converted to a general store back in the previous century. It was so old that the painted ads on the building were pushing cocaine as an everyday medicine.

I remember buying boxes of 50 Winchester .22 LR's for .49 a box and shorts for a lot less. I only used shorts when hunting frogs. That old rifle was dead on every time in spite of the bollixed rear sight that I fashioned off a busted air rifle to replace the broken sight on the Savage. It was a dangerous gun in that the safety did not always work. If you had a round chambered and the safety on and you jarred the bolt open just a mite and then closed it fully sometimes it would fire. That happened one day inside my friend's dad's car. We patched the hole in the roof of the Ford Woody with Elmer's glue and some blue painted tile to match the color. Lucky his Dad was a short man and never noticed the patch on the roof. Even some years later I recall buying the same .22's for about .75 per box and I was annoyed the prices had risen so much.

I even recall traveling through New Jersey on Route 17 N to our country place and seeing the prices for gas during the early 50's. It was selling for as little as .09 per gallon and .15 was expensive. Our car in those days was a 1941 Buick Special with the long straight eight engine and narrow 16 inch tires. It was pained battleship grey and had real spring mounted bumpers at both ends and running boards. I was really teed off with Dad when he junked that car instead of giving me a chance to buy it in the late 60's. I learned how to drive on that car by practicing in the flat fields around the farm where there was nothing to run into or damage and the worst I could do would be to get stuck in a ditch. Splint front windshield, engine turned dash plate, 3 on the tree, starter button on the column, dimmer switch on the floor, mohair seat covers, real vent windows, fresh air vent on the hood that could be opened or left closed and a very responsive and powerful 8 cylinder motor pushing a heavy and decent riding car down the highway.

Great memories!
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    About a year ago Walmart around here was closing out WWB 38super. I expect that they ordered it by mistake and after sitting around for a year they marked it down to I believe $7/box. Might have been a little more, but it was less than 9mm. I never saw it in the stores, but enough folks from across a couple states called me about it that I picked up more than 120 boxes.

Boolit Grand Master

Things, ammo too, were never cheap! I remember buying 22's 10 at a time form a big wooden crate as that was all I could afford. When most centerfire ammo sold for 50 cents a box of 50 wages were a dollar a day! It seems cheap now because our money is worth nothing and backed by nothing. I can remember buying shorts and longs as they were cheaper than LR 22's and My grandfather wouldn't let us shoot quail with the 410 as you didn't get enough meat for the cost of the shell.

Remember how long you had to save to buy that first 20 dollar 22 rifle?

How time clouds our memories!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

AHHHH, the Joys of cheap ammo

Quote Originally Posted by DxieLandMan View Post
    I remember .22LR being on sale for 99¢ for 50. Regular price was $1.79
    As a teen I used to ride my bike over to a guy who sold me .22 LR boxes of fifty for a dollar. Think he had a license.
    Was on the 4 position smallbore team in high school. We shot old military Mossberg 144’s with CCI Blazer ammo. They really rang the metal backsplash! Even shot in competition in the basement of the YMCA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 09-13-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

The city I grown up in had a hardware store we're the owner would split up a box of 22s to sell to us youngens. I would go in on Saturday mornings and spend a quarter on a pop, some Penny candy and ten 22 shorts for a fun morning hunting. If we had meat in the fridge and didn't need them I would sell squirrels for .50 cent and rabbits for $2.00 to some of the older folks in my neighborhood.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I remember WINCHESTER AA TRAP Loads at the old WINCHESTER-WEST, Watson TRAP & SKEET Range .
    1970 $2.75 per box. Jeez, I loved that place. Even worked there in my Junior year of High School.

They tore it down at the end of 1974 to build the ****ed Container facility for The Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro.
    I remember that range. They also tore down the Police Pistol and Rifle Range not far from it on Gaffey street. My father would take me there, buy a box of 22 for 50 cents and turn me loose for the day (Saturday) while he ran "errands".

Boolit Master

Too rich for my blood at those prices./beagle

diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I recall back in the 60s, my mom was a religious shopper at Rose's in NC. They carried Winchester Wildcat ammo and would occasionally run it on special for $.99 a box. Mom would tell me when it was on sale and pick up several bricks with her 10% senior discount. Not the best ammo but it shot pretty well in my Ruger auto. At $.88 a box, I couldn't complain./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Back in the 60's in Pasadena Ca. there was a gun shop[ that had a bunch of bins on top of ammo crates each bin had different ammo in it.45 auto, .30 carbine,.30-06,8 mm Mauser and so on even a bin of old .43 Spanish all kinds of good stuff.All good surplus just ask for a bag and fill it up .30-06 for .07 cents ea. those were good days they had tons of ammo.

Boolit Man
    I am not all that old, however I do remember .22 at $10 a brick, I still have one my father bought at Kmart it has a $9.99 tag on it. Not sure Kmart exists anymore.

When I was a teenager, I remember going grocery shopping with my parents at a GES store and in the sporting goods dept they had an island of W-W Super Speed 12 ga shells (high brass, naturally) for $3.04 per box. That was pretty expensive for a kid who hunted as much as I did but I can still smell the odor of those fired waxed paper shells. fond memories indeed.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    Mid 1960's in Bordentown NJ, the 2 Guys store would have a sale now and then. I would watch the Sunday flyer for .22s. 27 cents for a box of 50. I was allowed to buy one box to shoot after church at the farm dump. I think I about 6 years old.
    I haven't heard of Two Guys since I was a kid. Used to be one up on Rt 22 in North Plainfield if I remember right. Thanks for the blast from the past.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember going by an OTASCO store (70's) and they had Rem mohawk and Peters 22's on sale for $.69. I had been hauling hay earlier in the week and had some $$ in my pocket. I bought two CASES of mohawk and one Peters case. 15,000 rounds. I was in hog heaven. 15 years later I still had a case of the mohawk left and was shooting IHMSA. I bought a .22 contender barrel to shoot in unlimited. Tried many kinds of 22's in that barrel and you know, it liked the mohawk the best of all, even some match ammo I tried. Think I still have 4 or 5 boxes laying around somewhere, of the stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I can remember our Dad buying us boys ...Two boxes, one each of Winchester 22LR 500 count boxes.. $3.79 on sale right before Christmas 1969. He told us we each got a years supply, don't waste them. uncle mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast