RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingPBcastco
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AHHHH, the Joys of cheap ammo

Boolit Buddy

AHHHH, the Joys of cheap ammo

Good evening,
    Remember the days of low priced 22LR? How about $2.00 boxes of trap loads? I put in a box of LEAD....YES....real LEAD Magnum loads from when I used to go goose hunting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170319_140415.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

Just pulled out a brick (500) of Hansen .22 with a $4.99 price tag on it. Shot real well

Boolit Master
    I remember getting shotgun shells at Sears for $1.95 on sale.

In Remembrance
    I do not remember 2 dollar shotgun shells, but I did buy 1.75 reloads at high school, during class from my teacher and carried them home on the bus. Try that these days. lol

Boolit Master

Was at a yard sale several years back and the guy had many boxes of new 12 gauge shells. Picked up two boxes of Super-X Double X Magnum #2 lead shot for $5 per box. He had two boxes of BB lead XXs and I passed them up. Still kicking myself./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy

I remember .22LR being on sale for 99¢ for 50. Regular price was $1.79

Boolit Master
    Yes, I certainly recall that "inexpensive" ammo - thank goodness I'm making 8x what I made then. The $20/brick CCI Blazers and $25/brick CCI SV I just purchased is the cheapest .22LR I've ever bought.

Years ago, Walgreens sold ammo. They were having a sale on shotgun shells. Stopped in one night after work and bought three boxes of Super X 20 3" gage shells. it came to about $9. The clerk rang it up and I paid for it with a $20. She gave me back the change and stapled the precept and stuff in to the bag. I walked out got in the pickup, and started home. Was going to go hunting the next day, so I looked at the bag and she had stapled the $20 to the bag with the receipt. I was too far along to return the money.
    Rob

I had found some boxes of Winchester 303 Savage 190gr Silver Tip ammo that had $2.79 price tag on them in my dad's garage attic. I wish I knew where those boxes were today. I think they got lost in one my parents moves. I know dad doesn't have them any longer or I'd have them now for sure. I obtained my 303 Sav. about 20 years ago....but haven't seen those boxes in that amount of time.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Gotcha' all beat...........back around 1959, one of my rare treats was when Dad took me to the local general store while we were on vacation in northern California. If I had been a good boy, he'd buy me a box of Winchester long rifles right off the counter......59 cents! I made those last quite awhile in my Remington 514 single shot...........

Years later I remember chewing out a fellow camper for paying $8.95 for a brick of .22's. Everyone KNEW they were only about five bucks, right?

Boolit Master
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Cheap ammo.I remember .50 for a box of .22lr.$3.50 for a brick. $2.50 a 20rd box of 30-06.Yeah,those WERE the days.Then there was the real bargen of 100rds of GI 30-06 AP for $10.00.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

I recall Winchester .22 Shorts for $.41 and .22 Short HPs for $.42. Try finding a brick of Winchester .22 Short ammo now. Mission impossible. In high school, one old lady ran a small country store. She always carried Peters .22 Shorts for $.50 a box./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I remember WINCHESTER AA TRAP Loads at the old WINCHESTER-WEST, Watson TRAP & SKEET Range .
    1970 $2.75 per box. Jeez, I loved that place. Even worked there in my Junior year of High School.

They tore it down at the end of 1974 to build the ****ed Container facility for The Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Last fall I picked up 227 boxes of winchester 12g bird shot for $245 at wally world. Marked down for mod change. Took every box they had. The following day I got another 91 boxes at another walmart. Good find. I shoot 10-15 boxes a week shooting trap.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

Years ago, TGY was going out of business and had a flyer in the local news paper with 22 lr ammo for 50¢ a box.
    While i was in town the next day I stopped in to pickup a few boxes. Being a little short of cash I went to the sporting goods area and waited for someone to show up.
    After a few minutes a young girl moved in behind the counter and asked what I needed. "Give me a couple boxes of your 22 you have on sale."
    She set two bricks in front of me.
    I said that it pretty cheap for that many 22's.
    She said everything had to go.
    I paid my dollar plus tax and turned to leave and the guy behind me said I'd like to have some 22's also, and I'll buy all you have!
    I heard the girl say as I was walking away, you can only buy 10 boxes at this price.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

$5.00 per brick of T22 Winchester at my gun club Team price around 1975. It shot crappy out of my Hi Standard so I used Eley at the $9 per brick.

The T22 did shoot nice out of my bolt action rifle and semi's so I got my ammo there.

Shotgun ammo at the trap range was $1.75 box plus $1.00 per round. Trap or skeet.

1970's in MA inside of US 495 .

Boolit Buddy

Mid 1960's in Bordentown NJ, the 2 Guys store would have a sale now and then. I would watch the Sunday flyer for .22s. 27 cents for a box of 50. I was allowed to buy one box to shoot after church at the farm dump. I think I about 6 years old.

Boolit Master

Our little town was very small in the 40's and 50's. Took about 5 minutes from town limit to opposite end of the town, red lights and all. On the western edge of town was an open air garbage dump. Late in the evening, some of us would go to the dump and shoot rats. There seemed to be hundreds of them crawling all over the dump but you had to be quick. Once in a while, someone living near the dump would call the Police on us and they would come down to "investigate". A number of times instead of asking us to leave (which was all they would do), they would join us for a few shot themselves. The local hardware store knew that most of us boys didn't have much money to spend, so the owner would actually break open a box of .22's or shotgun shells and allow us to buy as many as we had money to spend (.22's were .01 and shotgun shell were .03 to .05) if I remember correctly. There was definitely a different attitude back then. james

Boolit Master
    In the late 60s I went to the local Big K store in my college town to get some .22s. The practice in that store was to put an adhesive price sticker on the end flap of a brick of 22s. The regular sporting goods clerks knew it was .65 per 50 rd. box. The clerk this particular visit apparently was filling in or new. She laid a brick on the counter and rung up 65 cents, so I told her I probably needed a couple more "boxes". Best ammo deal I ever got.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I remember WINCHESTER AA TRAP Loads at the old WINCHESTER-WEST, Watson TRAP & SKEET Range .
    1970 $2.75 per box. Jeez, I loved that place. Even worked there in my Junior year of High School.

They tore it down at the end of 1974 to build the ****ed Container facility for The Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro.
    That's only about $18 in today's money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast