Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Wish list.....sigh. I really need a second job.

Wish list.....sigh. I really need a second job.

Daydreaming out loud here....but as time goes on, I find myself longing for some unusual stuff. In no particular order, my current wish/dream list is:

Burnside carbine -- Maybe not the most practical thing to load for these days, but there are brass and plastic cartridges available.

Brown/Merriman dual ignition Ballard -- OK...ridiculous to load for and shoot, but I just like the concept.

Evans Repeating Rifle -- This thing is just cool, and way ahead of its time. Looks like brass is somewhat easily made or available from Buffalo Arms.

I also like the Smith Carbine....and wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a Spencer.

Any of you mess around with the burnside, dual ignition ballard, or evans? If so....please do tell!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've had acouple pre Marlin Ballards with the dual percussion/rimfire hammer system. As you mentioned it's a novelty these days, and a PITA to shoot. It's easier if you find an old RF case or have a case made, and shoot it with the percussion cap and a case full of powder. You have to pierce the center of a RF case to allow the cap to ignite it, but it actually works. If I wanted to shoot one I'd rather buy a Marlin Ballard #2 with reversible CF/RF firing pin and simply reload CF cases to shoot it. The #2 can be found for about the same money, and a much better option to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I've had acouple pre Marlin Ballards with the dual percussion/rimfire hammer system. As you mentioned it's a novelty these days, and a PITA to shoot. It's easier if you find an old RF case or have a case made, and shoot it with the percussion cap and a case full of powder. You have to pierce the center of a RF case to allow the cap to ignite it, but it actually works. If I wanted to shoot one I'd rather buy a Marlin Ballard #2 with reversible CF/RF firing pin and simply reload CF cases to shoot it. The #2 can be found for about the same money, and a much better option to shoot.
    I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the Ballard. My problem is that the ones that are a PITA.....I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Glutton for punishment?
    If you're truly attracted to them, I'd consider shooting with one case, and a round ball. That is what I did to play with mine. I just filled the case with BP, and set the proper round ball on top. Then point the barrel upwards and chamber it. Put a cap on the nipple and fire it. I lubed the round balls with Lee liquid alox, to keep leading down, but it would eventually lead up a bit and accuracy went away. But it's easy to load at the range with just a can of BP, caps, and some lead balls.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Glutton for punishment?
    Apparently.

But part of it for me is also the very 'realness' of it. The whole transition period from front-stuffers to breech loading just fascinates the heck out of me. So many different approaches, so much cool technology, so much history. I just want one of each.....just to experience as much as possible what they had to experience when handed one of these things and told to go fight with it, or go hunt with it. I don't know man.....maybe I'm just bored with rifles that function all the time and hit where I aim??

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Apparently.

But part of it for me is also the very 'realness' of it.

I don't know man.....maybe I'm just bored with rifles that function all the time and hit where I aim??
    Hmmm, I have a 40-70 SS that has given me fits. I'll pass it along your way. If it is half the problem for you as it has been for me it will completely solve your boredom.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I turned up both steel & brass ctgs. for a .56-56 Spencer carbine. Off-set chamber for .22 short blank to allow firing pin to ignite. This was long before anyone came up with centerfire blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Hmmm, I have a 40-70 SS that has given me fits. I'll pass it along your way. If it is half the problem for you as it has been for me it will completely solve your boredom.
    Dang Chill....that sounds way more like a threat than an offer!?