WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Leading; how many shots does it take to know if leading will be an issue?

Boolit Man

Leading; how many shots does it take to know if leading will be an issue?

I am learning as I go. I shot 25 rounds of a warm .45 Colt load this weekend and only got traces of lead from the barrel after cleaning. Accuracy was good and the load shows potential. Going to go up another .5 gr. of powder. Am I good to go or does it take more shooting to realize a leading problem? Seems like the little bit of lead was right past the forcing cone.

Banned

it could just be a tight spot in the forcing cone which isn't all that uncommon.
    it doesn't take too many shots to lay down lead in the barrel.
    5-6 shots is enough to show if there is an issue.
    sometimes it gets worse and sometimes that's all you get.

Boolit Buddy
    With a revolver, I usually shoot 2 cylinders full (10 rds, SAA).

I use a flexible shaft inspection flashlight, one that fits down the barrel, to better analyze the results. I've found that sometimes the lead is so evenly distributed and smooth that it looks like barrel metal.

Vendor Sponsor

Specifically what boolit, what lube, what powder and how much?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    Doug, this is the Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk you worked on for me (along with the Mountain Gun). Commercial 270 gr RCBS SAA .455, 15 BHN, 18grs 2400. Commercial LBT Blue. Throats evened out at 4555. It was the best the Ruger ever shot. I am hoping things will improve even more when the barrel gets seasoned. I don't think finding "some" lead is an issue as long as it shoots good?
    Last edited by Sakoluvr; 03-21-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

There remains a tiny bit of thread choke in that barrel. I recall the pilot we used for the forcing cone cutter would go far enough down to center the cutter but would not push through. With the boolit you are using you could get this barrel where it never needed even a patch ran down it. I would suggest it may be time to firelap if you can find some soft .454" boolits to use. And yes groups will shrink afterwards..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

bumping the load wouldn't hurt either.
    but a dozen fire-lapping shots could fix you up pretty well, you probably only need to move .001+/- from the tight area.

If you suspect that it's choking. a pin gage is a useful tool to test.

Boolit Man
    Yep! That's next. I have to pick up a few smaller pins. Fire lapping is a one way street that i am not going down until everything else is manipulated including upping the charge

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't be all that concerned about " a little bit right past the forcing cone" normally you will get some traces somewhere . If removal is not a problem , you don't have an issue. The real problem is LOTS of lead and difficult removal . 10-12 shots will usually show it up.
    It's appears that your load is doing well. When accuracy starts to fall off it's time to drop back and call it a developed load.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man
    Thanks for your opinion. Being new to the cast bullet game I really don't know how to gauge the gun's performance. In other words what's normal and what' isn't. Yeah, it came out pretty easy by soaking a patch with some Kroil, let ist sit for about 10 minutes and then used a patch wrapped around a brush. I finished off with Hoppes. This was after 25 shots.

There wasn't any lead in the cylinder / throats, just in the barrel forward of the forcing cone. None at the top strap, muzzle or crown.

I read where Brian Pearce said a little lead is normal as long as it does not keep building up. I am not going to do anything drastic at this point other than to tweak my loads and check accuracy. Will any minor constrictions or rough spots smooth itself out with continued shooting?

This reminds me of this...

On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Banned

if you have antimony on the surface of the boolit [indicated by a grey galvanized look]
    the antimony surface will have small dendrites on the surface which will eventually polish and scrape the barrel into a better condition.
    somewhere about 10-K rounds you would see an improvement.

high titanium dioxide and clay content paper would do it in about 15-20 rounds.
    bright white printing paper is such a paper.

Boolit Master
    Shooting a constriction out of a Ruger will test your patience, and wallet. I promote firelapping a lot, and it is nothing to fear, 1 shot or a dozen will remove VERY little metal on Rugers barrel steel. I have a barrel that was not lapped and it indeed looks better than it did when new. Round count is right about 27,000.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would see if I could fit in a larger diameter bullet, and try a softer alloy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

What is the process to lap your bore with printer paper?

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you have antimony on the surface of the boolit [indicated by a grey galvanized look]
    the antimony surface will have small dendrites on the surface which will eventually polish and scrape the barrel into a better condition.
    somewhere about 10-K rounds you would see an improvement.

high titanium dioxide and clay content paper would do it in about 15-20 rounds.
    bright white printing paper is such a paper.

Boolit Master

I would suggest it may be time to firelap if you can find some soft .454" boolits to use. And yes groups will shrink afterwards..
    Dougguy, would you recommend Tubb's Final Finish kit for firelapping the thread choke?
    I shoot so that I can handload.