Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
PBcastcoLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: I got a new rifle

Boolit Master

I got a new rifle

After not having a air rifle for many years I was given a .177 Winchester *** springer. I have been making due with it for a long time and while it is a *** it was somewhat accurate and did a job on Squirrels and pigeons.

Well I decided to get a new rifle. I got the Benjamin Trail NP2 combo .22 cal. I cleaned the barrel and it was rusty and dirty. I scrubbed until it was clean. Then I cleaned and degreased the rail, rings, and scope. I mounted them up and sighted it in. Shortly after sighting it in I knew this was going to be a very fun gun. I shot a couple starlings and a Eurasian dove. Then I shot my first squirrel and it hammered him.

Last week I was on vacation, working around the house and I hear a rock chuck. I head over and find him on a wood pile. I hit it between the neck and shoulder. It balled up and rolled off the wood. It regained it's self and crawled into the hole. By the looks of the blood trail it didn't make it far.
    About 30 minutes later I hear another. I grabbed the rifle and head over. I put the cross on the Atlas joint, the joint between the neck and head, The shot was 20 yards. The medium sized chuck rolled off the wood pile at the muffled shot. Instant kill, that was awesome!

When I went over to get rid of the body and take pictures I hear another one in the pile. That one had a much lower pitched chirp. About an hour went by and I worked my way back over to the wood pile. The same shot, in the same place as the last one. At the shot the chuck balled up and fell off the wood. I reloaded fast and when he hit the ground he was trying to crawl off. A fast second shot sealed the deal.

The last hunt for the weekend was a squirrel. This one ran out of my tree and tapped another tree. He bailed out of that tree and went up a BIG evergreen.
    I found him peeking over a limb and it was close like 8 yards and steep up the tree. I held a little high from between his eyes and let it fly. The bullet impacted the space between the eyes and exited the back of the head.

In all I am super happy with the rifle so far. The Crossman Super Dome .22 cal bullets are very accurate out to 25 yards that I have shot them. The scope is keeping it's zero and the rifle is quiet. I couldn't be happier with it.

Looks like you gave it a good work out . Good to hear that the rifle is meeting your needs . Marvin

Boolit Master

Nice start.
    I like the sling swivels, so many break barrel guns do not have them.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Glad it is working out for you.

Long time Sheridan Blue Streak owner here, but I have been diving into the air gun world more of late. For one thing I can make a pellet trap and shoot safely in my basement.

With rifles like yours as long as you have pellets you can have meat for the pot. And pellets are not expensive, yet.

Just added another 2k of Crossman Premier Ultra Mag Domes from Walmart at 6.47 per 500. 1.3 cents each. Have another couple K of the Crossman Premier Hollow Points arriving from Amazon tommorow with similar price. Yes I am stocking now while I can.

My only real quandry at this point is aimed at if I were to get another, what do I really want?

I don't really see me jumping onto the PCP bandwagon. I hate being tied to a source that I need but that I don't control. Like Scuba tank fills, or CO2 carts.

I don't really need another .22, I bought the Hatsan 135 QE Vortex, and it is doing about 1000 fps with the 14.3 pellets, I have not chrony'd but I would guess 26 to 29 foot pounds. That is plenty of punch.

I have a pair of the crossman 1322 pistols with shoulder stocks. Perfect for plinking in the basement or dealing with critters.

Add in a 40$ Chinese B-3 from Amazon in .22 that decided recently it wanted to shoot too. Went from random quarter sized groups to tack driving accuracy.

So I don't really need another airgun. But yeah, might want a few more.

Quite a few guns in that 180-250$ price range with nice walnut stocks and gleaming blued steel.
    Fills that hollow spot in there.

Ron: I have the same rifle. I'm not sorry I sold all but one of my 22RFs. I now own six air guns and enjoy being able to shoot in the back yard. Gp

Nice rifle.The sling is a nice feature for sure.

I'm going down that road soon i hope, with a Umarex Octane .22 cal.
    Should be comparable to your Trail rifle....hope so anyway.

Btw, good shooting!

Boolit Master
    My son who is now 22 years old get me back into pellet gun shooting. I had a lot of them as a kid and shot all the time. Then I got out of it. I got my son a Sheridan Blue Streak and we shot it until the seals gave up. A couple months ago he watched a video and figured out how to fix his gun. Then we went shooting starlings and I was hooked again.
    This is a picture of his chucks he got this last weekend. His rifle is a .177 and doesn't have the power mine does but he head shoots his. He has a kick a$$ Williams peep sight on it.

Got to love the "Dans".

Ol blue and I been together for 4 decades. We sent a lot of critters away. Grackles were always my prefered target, although rabbits in mom's flower garden got no passes either.

And yes a few chucks around the farm that wanted to dig under footings. Gophers of course, always have to thin those a little.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
    My son who is now 22 years old get me back into pellet gun shooting. I had a lot of them as a kid and shot all the time. Then I got out of it. I got my son a Sheridan Blue Streak and we shot it until the seals gave up. A couple months ago he watched a video and figured out how to fix his gun. Then we went shooting starlings and I was hooked again.
    This is a picture of his chucks he got this last weekend. His rifle is a .177 and doesn't have the power mine does but he head shoots his. He has a kick a$$ Williams peep sight on it.

That configuration gets my interest. I like it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by idahoron View Post

In all I am super happy with the rifle so far. The Crossman Super Dome .22 cal bullets are very accurate out to 25 yards that I have shot them. The scope is keeping it's zero and the rifle is quiet. I couldn't be happier with it.
    That's a beauty!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''