RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee 6 cavity sprue cam lever broke

Boolit Buddy

Lee 6 cavity sprue cam lever broke

I was using my 429-200-RF mold the other night and broke the sprue cam lever. Lee's warranty says to return an item and they will replace it free for 2 years. I put the broken lever and a note in a small padded envelope and took it to the post office today. Clerk says $2.67 to mail it. I said "no way" and walked out. Got on Lee's website to order 2 replacements. $4.60 each isn't too bad. Put them in cart and price changed to $0.00. Note says "free repair item". I ended up only paying $6.23 postage so I am happy. Will probably order cam levers from Vendor sponsor soon.

Happened to me once, I called lee up and they just sent me a new lever (just the steel cam lever no wood) for free. Hard to complain about it really. Only had it happen the one time. Ill only fill the two cavities closest to the sprue plate hinge bolt until the mold heats up a little, then add another cavity and another until all six are being filled. Seems to have helped with stressing that cam as I haven't broken another one.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

It happens. More than a few threads here about it, I even started one myself.

Banned

yep...
    I have an 11 cavity mold cut on a LEE 6 cavity block.
    I start at the front and add another cavity as I go along.
    I also have 2 new spare cam's for my one and only 6 cavity block.

Boolit Buddy
    I usually fill starting with the cavity near the hinge.. But I was consistently getting incomplete fill-out in last cavity. So I started filling cavity closest to handles first and pushing mold away from me. That is when the sprue cam lever broke.

Boolit Master

Pre-heat the mould and this will not happen. I cast at leas 3 times a week for the last 11 years and haven't broken a cam lever yet. Either get a hot plate or just dip the end of the mould in the molten lead and it will will work better.

Boolit Buddy
    I used a hot plate when I only had the 10# pot. Now I preheat my mold on top of the 10# pot. I had already cast 200 boolits when sprue cam lever broke. I believe waiting too long to cut sprues plus filling the cavity closest to the handles first caused the failure. This was only the second time using this mold. My TL358-148-WC 6 cavity mold likes to be run hot.

Hmmm, Lee charged for my replacement cam - Someone here makes replacements out of NON-Sintered metal that won't break
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

"I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Hmmm, Lee charged for my replacement cam - Someone here makes replacements out of NON-Sintered metal that won't break
    I think Lee has changed their customer service actions in the last couple years. I use lots of Lee equipment, and have had a cuople instances of parts failing.

Anyway, a few years ago, you could just email via their "contact form" on their website and include a digital photo of the failed part and they'd ship you a new one for free, no shipping charges.

Then at some point, that dried up...or they kept a list and once you received a few freebies...then NO MORE, as that happened to me with a spring for a Safety prime.

Then in the last year or so, I've heard reports of "consumable parts" (parts that frequently break) are offered on their website for free, but ship fees are charged.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Why don't they stop making them of cheap "pot metal"??

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Pre-heat the mould and this will not happen. I cast at leas 3 times a week for the last 11 years and haven't broken a cam lever yet. Either get a hot plate or just dip the end of the mould in the molten lead and it will will work better.
    I bought the machined steel sprue plate but never got around to getting the levers. I have around ten 6 bangers and have not broken one yet but I too preheat my mold on a hotplate start by doing the one, then two etc, till I know things are hot enough.

Heh, well I was getting on here to post something similar to what the OP posted. I broke mine first time out on a new 6 banger I picked up after my trial of the 2 cav was done. Sigh....I'll see if they charge me for the replacement.
    My firearms project blog

Banned

see RRR's post.
    get you some handles while your there.
    his work is stupid good.

Boolit Master
    I have had lee 6s since they came out I did get 2 of the steel cams . BUt I have NEVER had one to even get close to a break.
    if you cast you can tell when the mold is too cold . I can , if it don't cut easy I just heat it with torch til it does

Good information here... Thanks for sharing the experiences. I have 4 of the 6 cavity molds for various pistol calibers - still haven't used them yet but getting ready to this spring.
    So far have been sticking with the old steel molds, but ramping up the shooting makes the 6 cavity sound appealing.
    Thanks again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    +1
    these are first rate. Like his sprue plates too
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I found it also helps to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS (after I busted mine).