Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersPBcastco
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: To all Savage 220 owners...

To all Savage 220 owners...

Just couple of days ago, I bought a new Savage 220 at Ganger Mountain. I bought the weaver scope bases for the Savage 111 and the fit up to the mounting holes just fine. However, when mounting the forward mount, the screw closest to the muzzle will not sit all the way. It appears to be hitting the threads on the barrel where it mates to the receiver, not allowing it to be torqued down. I took a pic of the screw hole and a pic of it with the mounting screw in.

I called savage and they said that one of the screws should of been a shorter one for the front but they're all the same.

I ordered the mount they recommend and it came in the mail today. I checked and all of the screws are the same length with that one, too.

I'm wondering if something is amiss here.

Anyone here having the same issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I don't know specifically about the 220 but my 10 mlII needed to have the front base screws shortened to allow the base to be pulled right down to the receiver. Just had to grind one or two threads off of the screws. One way to check is to count the number of turns on the screw without the base then with the base , it'll tell you if the screws are bottoming out on the barrel.

BT

I like the looks of a TH stock but for hunting I would prefer a long gun that I can shot from either shoulder. About every 3 or 4 years I shoot a deer with my off hand because the bugger came in from the wrong side.

BB

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
    I don't know specifically about the 220 but my 10 mlII needed to have the front base screws shortened to allow the base to be pulled right down to the receiver. Just had to grind one or two threads off of the screws. One way to check is to count the number of turns on the screw without the base then with the base , it'll tell you if the screws are bottoming out on the barrel.
    This is what a gunsmith would do. Grind off two to three threads and it should work fine. A little loctite will help hold it on if it is too loose.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Banned

It's how they all come for a Savage. Grind it off. That is what everyone else does.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 220 before they were even being advertised other then the distributer catalogs and I like the gun quite a bit . The Weaver bases were not an issue as well as I can remember but I do remember needing to get Weaver extension rings to make the whole setup work . I've got a plain old Leupold VX1 3-9 on top .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Well, after I received the 1-piece base that Savages recommended to mount the scope on, I didn't have to grind the screw down anyway.

Ordering me that Boyd stock and while I'm at it, I'll glass bed it as well. Figured it wouldn't hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Well, after I received the 1-piece base that Savages recommended to mount the scope on, I didn't have to grind the screw down anyway.

Ordering me that Boyd stock and while I'm at it, I'll glass bed it as well. Figured it wouldn't hurt.

IMHO you should have shot it first before wasting money on a new stock. Mine with the Remington factory loaded AccuTip slugs 2 3/4" shoots very well at 100 yards . Three inside 1.5" is no big deal . I will say I have the AccuTrigger in mine down to about 2 pounds .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    IMHO you should have shot it first before wasting money on a new stock. Mine with the Remington factory loaded AccuTip slugs 2 3/4" shoots very well at 100 yards . Three inside 1.5" is no big deal . I will say I have the AccuTrigger in mine down to about 2 pounds .
    I just hated the feel of the plastic hollowed stock. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out, I can always change back and sell it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I just hated the feel of the plastic hollowed stock. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out, I can always change back and sell it.

Very true !

I had a Savage 210F 12 gauge rifled as well . That thing while shooting well was a beast to carry . When I got the 220 it was like a breath of fresh air it carried like most any long action rifle and handled as well .

Boolit Buddy
    So how do they shoot with cast? Considering this savage 220 for my kids.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttonbuck View Post
    So how do they shoot with cast? Considering this savage 220 for my kids.
    Never tried cast in the 220 I have or the 210 I had . Shoot the factory loaded Remington AccuTip 2 3/4" shells in the 12 and 20 gauges .

I've heard great results from casters on other forums.

I also have had a 220 sense they came out, mine likes 2 3/4 accu tips the best. When I bought it I bought 3 boxes each accu tips, hornady sst, and federal something. I would like to make my own ammunition for this rifle as the accu tips are pricey. I had a marlin 12 ga bolt action before I got the 220 and loaded the lee slugs for it. One thing I learned with mine is it shoots a little tighter group with a dirty barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1287.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	192393
    this is the 180" 17 point my buddy killed in Indiana a few years ago with my 220 and accu tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I also have had a 220 sense they came out, mine likes 2 3/4 accu tips the best. When I bought it I bought 3 boxes each accu tips, hornady sst, and federal something. I would like to make my own ammunition for this rifle as the accu tips are pricey. I had a marlin 12 ga bolt action before I got the 220 and loaded the lee slugs for it. One thing I learned with mine is it shoots a little tighter group with a dirty barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1287.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	192393
    this is the 180" 17 point my buddy killed in Indiana a few years ago with my 220 and accu tips.
    Nice deer! I got my Boyd stock yesterday. Still haven't shot it yet. I have 3 and 2.75" accutips and hornady SST's I'll run through it.