Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home defense shotgun

Home defense shotgun

What is your favorite home defense shotgun? Mine is a Remington 870 Express with laminated wood and 18-1/2" cylinder barrel. When it is off hunting with its 28" barrel, my 108 yr old 97 Winchester takes over. In my truck rides a 1958 Browning skeet gun with a 24" Cutts Comp barrel. Of course they are 12 gauge.
    Best, Thomas.

That's a good choice. I have several that would fill the slot, but the one that's most available is a Chinese copy of the Ithaca M-37, cylinder bore, 18 1/2" barrel, rifle sights, black plastic stocks, 12 ga. loaded with Rem. 3" magnum No.1 Buck.

Attachment 192934Attachment 192935
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 04-10-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add photos

Boolit Grand Master

Mine have been replaced by carbine length AR's.

I have an Ithaca Police Special. It was first used by the New Mexico State Police and was then transferred to the Luna County (New Mexico) Sheriff's Office. When the SO replaced them with Remington, I got the pick of the litter for $115.00. It is a decent shotgun with decent sights. It is not state of the art, but good enough for a geezer. I have had it for 22 years.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I have owned several 870s, an ithaca 37 police, a winchester 1300, mossberg atp8, and a mossberg 6 shot with 18.5" barrel, and, a savage copy of a browning auto 5 with a 18.5 barrel.

Of all of those.... For home defense, I think I like the Mossberg atp8 the best. I like the solid magazine extension of the mossberg best. I also like the safety position, as it could be disengaged with either hand, and disengaged under duress easier.

I dont really like a mossberg for hunting however. The 870 fills that niche.

Banned

I have 3 500 receivers, and a lot of barrels. Also have 2 SxS Baikal shotguns tuned by Evil Roy's gunsmith. The coach guns are very handy.

Boolit Buddy
    Benelli Nova Tactical Pump---light, fast, strong, and totally reliable. Ghost ring sights are great and the ergos are perfect for me right out of the box.

Banned
    PASI-1 pump-gun by ASI. A Turkish "police-style" riot gun in manganese "parkerized" finish with black ballistic nylon stock/forearm & industrial chrome inside.
    (The Turks did this one JUST RIGHT, imo & bought new for 200.oo OTD.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 04-08-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: add

Boolit Grand Master

Mossberg 500 with an 18.5 inch rifle sight barrel. I much prefer the locations of the Mossberg controls to that of the Remington.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Mine have been replaced by carbine length AR's.
    I have a couple of those lying about as well.

Banned

Mossberg 500 loaded with a handload using 1/2 00 buck 1/2 #4 buck.

Boolit Buddy
    Why just 1, I like to have my AR and Rem 870 close by.��

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is a Winchester model 12 cut down to 20" with a tritium front bead.

Boolit Master

I`ll play

I have (some) 870`s around the house , some with #4 , some with #oo, and a few with Winchester foster slugs.

I have a Remington 879 in a 20 Ga. 18 1/2 inch barrel. Shoots either 2 3/4 in shells or 3 inch shells.
    Da Okie/ Now known as Vearl

Boolit Grand Master
    Two Mossberg 500's and two AR's and two 9mm pistols. Because having one of anything is not being prepared.
    Don Verna

I have 3 Rem 870 Wingmasters, the older nice ones. 12, 16 and 20 ga.

I have 3 H&R Single shots, 2 12's and a 20.

Plus I have 2 Hipoint Carbines hidden where they could do the most good in a pinch.

And if it really hits the fan I am reaching for my Yugo SKS in the basement.
    It sits in my casting area on a chair, action open, mag fully loaded. Paranoid? Not much, lets just say I prefer to be prepared.

Of them all the 870 20 ga is the handiest, swings fast, shoulders fast.

But the big 12 ga is the one ready to go with a light, a 25 round ammo belt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try as I might, I can't get the wife to practice with the 870. Concerned that the action release, pump action, short stroke possibilities, & trigger safety might be detrimental when all those fine motor skills devolve into just gross motor skills & tunnel vision, I have gone to a Stevens double 12 ga. Slide safety on the top is intuitive enough to figure out when terrified, as is the action release to break it open. I agree that the 870's, et al, have more capacity, and in the hands of a cool headed individual harbor more potential ability. I also know in the crunchyest of times even the skilled can short stroke 'em. Heck, I've even done it a couple of times goose hunting. I just prefer the first two certain shots and even though the reload sequence is longer, it is easily understood by the panicked brain. YMMV

Banned

if you want to count. In my bedroom theres a loaded 12, two loaded ar15s, 45 Kimber under the mattress and a 9mm lc9 on the wifes side in her night stand. Come and get it!!! You cant walk 20 feet in my house without access to a loaded gun.

Boolit Master
    I have an H&R Pardner pump, tactical model. It's an 870 clone made by IAC. It has been a great gun thus far. It is my primary home defense gun, loaded with Hevi-Shot's defensive line of shells, their Hevi-Duty #4 buck load with some Brenneke slugs bringing up the rear. It sleeps right next to me by the bed as does my TP9SF..
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast