RotoMetals2Inline FabricationGraf & SonsLee Precision
StainLess Steel MediaWisconsin TriggerTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .25 Stevens Rimfire

Boolit Master

.25 Stevens Rimfire

You could still buy Canuck .25 Stevens Rimfire cartridges back in the Seventies, at the truly outrageous price of $4.75 for a box of 50. This was almost twice what a box of 50 .22 WRFMs cost. Gougers, exploiters, rip-off artists; hissss... How dare they!

However, rifles in the calibers were relatively cheap, at least compared to the same models in centerfire calibers. And of course Stevens Favorites were all over the place. Once in a blue moon you could find one with a decent bore in .25 Rim Fire.

So I would occasionally buy a box of Canuck rounds and bang a few up at the dump for novelty. Once in a while, a box of older stuff no longer made by American ammo companies would turn up at a Gun Show for cheap. And sometimes loose rounds could be had for very little. I remember a plink-fest out at the dump with a Baggie full of US Cartridge Company .25 Rimfire black powder rounds. I used my second best bore Stevens Favorite for this, and was impressed with the accuracy, can-busting power and reliability of the grungy old ammo. Almost all of them fired the first time, and only a couple needed three snaps to get them to go "bang." I'm still impressed.

Now, of course, I'm very stingy with the stuff. Need to go on a squirrel hunt to justify shooting some shells. In the meantime, I can look at the boxes, at least.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25 Rimfire.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	191211

Boolit Master
    I found a Box of Peters .25 Stevens Long RF at a gun show about 3 years ago for $40 so The Prices continue to rise.
    I converted one of my 'Favorite' from RF to CF and made Cases from .22Hornet Brass by Swaging and trimming.
    THEN I found out that Once Fired 5.7x28mm Brass could be Swaged down to .25 Stevens diameters and needed much less Trimming to be usable.
    Yes, it is a Multiple step process but it keeps that Favorite speaking and I am thinking of converting another.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

if info is right they are going to start a new line for the 25 rim that mexico company is going to do a line with the 5mm

Boolit Man
    Sure wish they would make some more. I have a prety good supply that I bought back when it was going for $1 a round. Don't shoot it a lot but still do on occasion.

I use to prowl the ma & pa stores and gas stations in upper Ontario & Quebec for 25rf. Did good
    untill late 80s. The last 30yrs or so haven't found any, Internet reaches there too. I have 3, 25rf
    guns, Stevens Favorite, Stevens offhand pistol, and Marlin 27. I recently traded of a Stevens
    single shot bolt action. I've only got about 100rds in my stash.

Boolit Master

I could kind of see the rationale for the revival of the .32 Rim Fire by that Brazilian company and Navy Arms. There were a ton of bureau-drawer revolvers in the caliber that the owners were curious about, most unfired or fired very little. I doubt either the manufacturer or the importer gave much thought to the rifle market, as those with good bores or yet unconverted to other calibers were few and far between.

Eventually, the market was saturated. When I bought the last of my stash of Navy Arms Brazilian .32 Rim Fire, it was $27.00 a box, new from the importer, if I recall. A friend of mine had a Smith & Wesson pocket revolver that shot real well with the stuff, if you cleaned it every couple cylinderfulls, and a friend of his had an as-new Marlin .32 Rim-or-Center lever-action that shot as good as any Marlin 39 .22 caliber with the stuff. Naturally, they shot their guns at least fairly regularly. But most customers satisfied their curiosity with one box or so of shells and weren't going to pay the price for a steady supply, so importation stopped.

Rifles in .25 Rim Fire with decent bores are few and far between, as well, and only a few single shot pistols were so chambered. So one can see the hesitancy of a manufacturer to tool up for a revival of the cartridge. Too bad, because it's three times the cartridge the .32 Rim Fire ever was.

On the other hand, they make that .22 Winchester Automatic cartridge in special runs, and while that rifle was a good seller, it was the only one so chambered. So maybe we will see some new .25 RF around eventually. One hopes. Even regular .22 rimfire is priced so ridiculously high that people might be used to higher prices for specialty rimfire now, and be willing to keep paying for them.