Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Knight 85 multitool needed

Boolit Grand Master

Knight 85 multitool needed

I am known in our Church as one of the gun guys. A member who is a SEAL refers questions to me, as his knowledge is deep but specific.

Anyway, our Associate Pastor grabbed me the other day and told me that he had been given a muzzle loader in his previous church and he wanted to shoot it, could I help. I asked him if he even knew where it was, and he looked blank and admitted he didn't - I told him to ask his wife. A few minutes later she walked by and I asked her, "Under the bed" she said.

I now have his Knight 85 that I pulled a little rust out of but it quickly cleaned up - so there is hope. It does have the percussion cap nipple, as well. I do have an e-mail into Knight, so there might be one available through them, but I need something to pull the nipple at least.

I've never had or looked at one before, but looking at the manual online I learned that you have to drop the trigger group to pull the bolt, too. Appears I've got some work to do yet.

If any of you happen to know where I can get one of these tools - doesn't appear to be much room to work in there - I'd appreciate a head's up.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    Possibly make one using a socket that you cut notches out of (angle grinder etc.) and use an extension. Hopefully it is not rusted in place. Great gun. They came with Timney triggers.

Boolit Master
    You can remove the bolt without taking out the trigger. Just pull the trigger after you unscrew the end cap it should pull right out.
    Here is a link to a different type of breach plug. It is for a #11 cap but you use a deep socket to pull it with. After it is out you can take out the nipple. It is seasonal but you can have them notify you.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/161...tainless-steel

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1372210.htm

The best bet is to find someone that has one local and pull the plug and get the hex head.

Boolit Grand Master

Found it, Knight has them. His is the slotted breech plug. Just finding out which one to order.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master
    How much is Knight asking for them?

Boolit Grand Master

Every time one of those dad blasted space guns comes in I am on the lathe making another wrench. I must have a dozen of them. If I knew what the Knight 85 wrench looked like I could sure help you out.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0127.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	190697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0128.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	190698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0129.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	190699
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Every time one of those dad blasted space guns comes in I am on the lathe making another wrench. I must have a dozen of them. If I knew what the Knight 85 wrench looked like I could sure help you out.

Boolit Grand Master

If I remember correctly $29.25 for one type and $39.95 for the other. Only gave length to define one from the other on the website. Turns out one is for slotted and one for hex, not sure which is which by the website.

Looks like Squeeze posted a pic of the slotted one, that I will need.

Their part #M900131 - $39.99 + shipping.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 03-16-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Man
    Correct. The 209 primer conversion bolt (which I highly recommend if they are still making them) uses the hex breach plug. As I stated, you can make a slotted removal wrench from a socket and a little grinding.

Boolit Grand Master

Sakoluvr - thanks - I made one from a 7/16 socket, did grind the legs a touch narrow. Tried it last night - would not move. Soaked in Kroil overnight, tried it this AM - broke one leg off the socket! Gotta get another one - It's soaking again.

It was an old Indestro socket, had it for years. Can't say it was made of the best metal!
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Man
    You can try a heat gun on the the breech plug. Also try submerging the breach in boiling water poured into a bucket. BTW the breach plug should only be snugged up, not farmer tight. Grease the threads well before putting it back in or use the yellow teflon tape. Those are great guns and have Green Mountain barrels with Timney triggers. Is your the Predator Model (laminated stock and SS) or blued?

I hope it wasn't put away loaded.
    Last edited by Sakoluvr; 03-17-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Not mine, my pastor's. Blued, plastic stock. No load, I ran oiled patches down the barrel and could hear the air/oil coming out the nipple! I'm afraid this one is 'farmer tight' (nice picture, my dad was a farmer!) as the scope rings are equally tight. Haven't tackled them yet, but need to because one side of the cross hairs is broken.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master
    For penetrating lube the 50-50 ATF and acetone is the best. Then Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster kinda tied for 2nd. Then Kroil and others. Get the tool and use it with an impact wrench and soak and try, then soak and try eventually it will come loose. If that doesn't work you're looking at soak, freeze and impact again, then soak, heat and impact and combinations of same soak, heat impact freeze etc.... If that doesn't work you are looking at lathing out plug leaving a foil thickness and cutting that out. A good smith can do it. Sorta like removing a barrel from a milsurp mauser that is 115+ years old. 10

PS you might try Modern Paladin Inc. right there in Hampton Rhoads area
    Last edited by 10 ga; 03-19-2017 at 05:35 PM. Reason: safety 1st, then accuracy
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master

After talking with him we have decided to take it to the range and see how the barrel shoots sabots before we invest anything else.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Man
    I would still try and get the plug out. The nipple and the vent has to be clean before you can expect the rifle to shoot right.