Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something about Numbers

Boolit Grand Master

Something about Numbers

I just noticed that my last post count was my birth date. Not a big deal, just a little thing that jumped out at me. Pretty often when I wake up during the night the time on the clock will be a caliber that I shoot. Maybe 222 or 223, sometimes 357. A friend says when he wakes up its common for all of the numbers to be the same. Like I said, I'm just rambling.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Strange how things like that come up. Just look at it this way though . . . every time you make a post on here, if you consider the number of posts that you have as your birth year . . . you're getting YOUNGER! LOL

Perma-Banned
    I play little number games such as these also. some days it's about all the mental stimulation I get. 'specially if it's the weekend when Jeopardy ain't on.

Boolit Master
    4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

In Remembrance

I catch numbers on the clock that stick out also, like 556, 222, 223 and such. No matter how hard I try I just can't catch 762. lol

Perma-Banned
    counted the money in my pocket one day & it was $12.34 it stumped all 4 of my kids as to what significance it might have to someone who was a fan of numbers.

Boolit Master

My Dad is an engineer. One sister is too. A brother with accounting degree. Another brother is a PhD physicist, and math professor.

I hate math. I hate numbers.

I can do it, I just dislike math, with a burning hatred.

Perma-Banned
    I like real world math okay but, not a big fan of the higher forms. might have somethin' to do with flunkin' algebra in the ninth grade. it is very disheartenin' to get every answer correct and fail a test because your way of comin' up with the answer wasn't how the book says ya should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    I like real world math okay but, not a big fan of the higher forms. might have somethin' to do with flunkin' algebra in the ninth grade. it is very disheartenin' to get every answer correct and fail a test because your way of comin' up with the answer wasn't how the book says ya should do it.
    So you're the inventor of Common Core math. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

In 1960 I worked in a Chevy parts department. Does anyone else recognize the PN 1931988?
    Funny how some numbers are so ingrained in your memory, while others escape you, no matter how important.
    I have my family's (4) SS numbers and birthdates committed to memory but often forget my anniversary.
    After over 10 years retirement, I remember the numbers of most of the 2700 molds I maintained, but don't remember the exact date I retired. At this point, I don't guess either is important.
    My wife calls it selective memory, and it goes along with my selective hearing.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    For years in school, the final bell of the day rang at 3:20 pm. I still find that I happen to glance at the clock exactly at 3:20 pm somewhat often. Seems that 11:11 pm keeps popping up on my digital clock a lot too...enough that I mentioned it to my wife a couple of times. I can't say that I have noticed bullet calibers .

[Edit] Oh yeah, if I am asked my drivers license number I rattle it off without looking, my father's social security number, his military ID number, my grandfathers social security number, my debit card number and some credit card numbers, combinations to locks from back to my sister's combo lock in high school from the '60s (12-24-12... easy one). When I come across a combo lock I start running through all of the combos and if it was one of our locks it will open. "AF60634, mobile one to mobile 2" (the chant I made up as a kid, when I got a walkie talkie in the 60's.

It's amazing what can stay in the brain. At this point what's already in my head seems to stay there... it's the new stuff that keeps bouncing off my brain as I get older.
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 03-23-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PtMD989 View Post
    So you're the inventor of Common Core math. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL! no sir, definitely not in the "(un)common core" camp about anything they have to do with the "(dis)education" of our children. in my day the smart kids rode the big bus, did the work, and passed to the next grade on merit while the retards rode the short bus, sat in the corner & finger-painted or some such, and were passed to the outside world to work at the Goodwill Store or some "workshop" designed specifically to their "talents".

Boolit Grand Master

There was no real purpose in this post, just rambling on while waiting on a few buddies to get here to cast. My post count matching my year of birth just jumped out at me and reminded me of the buddy that said he had the same number everytime he looked at a clock.

Mold Maker, I built steel towers at the beginning of my Linemans career. Every piece was numbered with a letter code and a number. 35 years later I still remember them.

Bubba, I didn't do so well in algebra either but I can count change, figure framing numbers and calculate come-ups on scopes and I do these all in my head. No X+Y (X-Y) stuff for me!

Lead-1, 762 has eluded me too!

Thanks for the laughs everyone!
    Last edited by lightman; 03-23-2017 at 02:45 PM.

I sometimes look for numbers also. At work the extension number in my department is 231. The extension number for the office is 223.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes calibers when I wake up and sometimes different engines.

I understand about not getting credit for the right answer. I would do most of the math in my head and just scratch down a number or two to keep things coherent. No credit for the right answer because I "didn't show my work". Told the teacher once, "how can I show my work when I do it in my head". Not appreciated at all!!!

Boolit Buddy

My dad bought a new house a few years back with the street number 308, my kids apartment number is 204....just makes it easier to remember when you can relate it.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    This has happened more than once this month alone..I wake up from a sound sleep and clock is at 3:16... a warm and complete peace comes over me as I go back to sleep secure in the knowledge that he has my back!

I usually see a school bus numbered 223.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    "4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42"

If someone figures that set out, then we might have something!

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
    What a letdown the ending of that one was!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast