RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: cast bullets for the 5.7x28FN

Boolit Mold

cast bullets for the 5.7x28FN

Hi everybody
    I am new to the site. Has anyone used cast bullets in the 5.7x28 FN .I want to use Lyman's 225438,44grngc . I tried the accu load program, the starting loads it suggested over filled the case. I have used this program before with good results. Lyman's #49 handbook lists a 45gr jacketed sp load. Any ideas?

Thanks Brian

Banned

welcome to the site.
    I got lots of advice but not too many answers.

anyway the first thing I'd look at is your diameter, I dunno what diameter the 5.7 takes but it sounds bigger than 5.56 [223]
    the second is jacketed loads are not gonna work with cast boolits [they sometimes do but probably not here]
    you have to think about things differently when you start using cast.

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests: www.FiveSevenForum.com
    Remember some guy doing a lotta nice verk with cast boolits.

Posting to follow the discussion, very interested to see if others have experience.
    Love seeing modern cartridges with an old school spin.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Grand Master

R5R, the Five seveN uses the same .224 jacketed bullets we use for the 223.

I'm sure cast can be used successfully in the 5.7, however, this is one of the calibers that I wouldnt personally bother to shoot cast out of.

I'd only cast for it if I wanted to do something slower/subsonic. The 2 main guns designed for it are Ferraris, by that I mean they are high strung and dont like alot of variances. I've done some research into this, want to do this caliber in a heavy(80g ish) subsonic load for use with a rimfire can. Probably use a Thompson with a faster twist barrel. Be careful with brass prep, it's polymer coated, this is done for ease of extraction in those 2 FN guns(instructions are out there, think they wet tumble in fast orange or something). I've heard the polymer is almost structural, as removing it makes it loose in the chamber and folks have had problems. Surplus 55g J-word pills are super cheap, but I'd love to see some cast data for it. Dunno your lead situation, but may want a GC or use hard, as it has very small capacity(gotta use fast powder) and is a relatively high pressure cartridge, and it needs to be to operate the FN's.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.7x28FN with RCBS 22-055-SP.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	169375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.7x28 50 YDS target with cast RCBS2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	169376
    I have tried some cast boolits in my T/C Contender 18" barrel and I've got the group you see in the picture, using a case ful of H4198 (10.8gr) but it was a pain to compress the load like that so I found another powder that gives me similar result with 6.4 gr of AA #7 and pistol or rifle primers.
    The velocity is around 2200 fps and at 50 yards it does really well. I have not tried at 100 yds yet.
    It makes a nice 22 mag/22LR reloading cartridge. The boolit I use is the RCBS 225-055-FN.
    Be careful of your loads as a 0.1 extra grain may change the pressure rapidly upwards. So work up your loads. This load mentioned here is for my T/C Contender rifle and it may be too hot for any FN pistols.
    Camba
    Last edited by Camba; 05-31-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Mold
    Hi everybody

Thanks for the info. I'm shooting a TC Contender with a 10 inch barrel. With 6.8 grs of AA#7,CCI400 primer and a Hornady 40gr V Max, off a rest it will put 10 shots in a dime size group at 25 yards if I do my part.

Banned

okay now we are getting somewhere.
    the single shot opens a whole world of possibilities.
    using a cast boolit and just reducing the jacketed loads would work.
    #7 should lower pretty well and you could go down to 2 grs of a faster powder like red-dot, 700-x, or bulls-eye and work back up without any issues.

Boolit Master
    I dunno any particular reason the 225438 wouldn't work. I've been shooting them in an old Hornet up to around 2300 fps with decent accuracy out to 100 yards. Alox lube on a 50/50 mix of lino and WW.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Cute little round, kinda a shrunk 300 savage! I am a hornet shooter, but will be watching this thread for temptation
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    I loaded some with a reduced load of #7. Hope to try them soon. If I can get this to work well , I want to use it at my club shoots as my center fire round.

Boolit Bub
    I have tried the hornady 44gr bullets. They don't chamber we'll because the 5.7 is designed to take pointy bullets in the p90 and five seven. If you seat them deep enough they kind of work but it's a ***** to get them to run in the p90 because the magazine doesn't feed them well because they end up being too short and slide around in the magazine and it jams up. Also I still get quiet a bit of ftf because the bullets aren't chambering properly. If anyone else has had success I would like to know because I spent like 80 bucks on these molds and now they are worthless to me unless I buy a 22 hornet or something