RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOE 311-247-FN RG4 cavity PB (Whisper)?

Boolit Bub

NOE 311-247-FN RG4 cavity PB (Whisper)?

I see several older threads about group buys of this mold but no one is talking about the results.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=999

I'm interested in this for my .300 aac AR. I'd like to buy some bullets to try before I drop the cash on the mold. Did anyone ever get one of these molds and if so would anyone sell me 50-100 unsized/unlubed bullets to test?

I'm running a 10.5" 1/8 barrel and have read countless stories of the Lee 309-230 blackout mold bullets tumbling and leading even when powder coated but no info on these bullets.

Thanks,
    Rich

Boolit Master
    I use that NOE bullet in 30-30, fast twist barrel, basically same as a 300AAC. It works in my 7.62x54r and my 300 win mag. I tried the Lee, worse bullet ever made.

Boolit Buddy
    good luck, I been trying to find something on this boolit for over a year and found very little, what I did find was light loads around 900-1000 fps, I was looking for something around 2,000 fps was wanting know if anyone had done this and with what powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    good luck, I been trying to find something on this boolit for over a year and found very little, what I did find was light loads around 900-1000 fps, I was looking for something around 2,000 fps was wanting know if anyone had done this and with what powder.
    What cartridge are you trying to use to push the 247 at 2,000fps? I shot it in a 30-06 at 1,950fps with 35gr H4895, you are not going to get anywhere near that with a 300BO. I did have a load for about 1,400fps in the 300BO but usually shoot it over RL-7 at about 1050fps out of my 16" upper.

I have a 3 cavity solid mold (mine is actually the Accurate Molds version at 245gr), I haven't cast with it in awhile as I have a 6 cavity 235gr that has a profile that works better in magazines. The 245gr is just a tad fat to work well in most magazines, although the Lancer mags I have work well with it.

Boolit Master
    I have a 2PB 2 GC version. I haven't quite found a load my AR likes, but my Ruger Ranch likes 9.5 grains of 300-MP to just stay subsonic with a 10" silencer. That's with 300 blackout.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Bub
    I'm looking to work up a sub sonic load as heavy as I can stabilize in the 1/8 twist barrel. I want a hollow point bullet for expansion at the low velocity. This will be SBR'd and suppressed eventually. Range toy, home defense and possibly hog hunting are the intended uses.

Moonie, are either of your molds HP?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I'm looking to work up a sub sonic load as heavy as I can stabilize in the 1/8 twist barrel. I want a hollow point bullet for expansion at the low velocity. This will be SBR'd and suppressed eventually. Range toy, home defense and possibly hog hunting are the intended uses.

Moonie, are either of your molds HP?
    I only have a couple of HP molds, a Mihec 200gr .452 HP and an NOE 350gr .454 HP

Check out the relevant PDF at http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/data/NOE/PDF/30/ . This data was produced by Ranch Dog using Quickload, so grain of salt and everything. And while you're there explore the other data sheets for NOE and Ranch Dog moulds you use.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Bub
    I don't have the HP version yet, but I do have 4000+ of the solid bullets cast. Haven't completed my 300 build yet, so I haven't got any kind of testing done on them.

If you're interested in testing some of the solid bullets, shoot me an email & we'll work something out.

Boolit Mold
    I have the mold and am eager to try the bullets. I've cast some HP's out of hardball (I know, they'll fragment) to try out and I'm quite eager to see how they do.

One thing I did notice already though is that you'll likely have to modify the feed ramp. I'm using an AR Stoner 10.5 barrel and the HP gets dinged on feeding without modification. The ramps will have to be widened to prevent this, and it's happening with hardball. I'm sure an alloy more appropriate for a HP would be far worse in this regard.

He had them in stock a few days ago. That's when I snapped one up, been waiting for it to come back in stock for a while now. I'll let you know how they do at the range. I'm hoping to go tomorrow. Will be using converted brass, CCI 450 (SRM) primers and likely 4227 powder. This combo has worked well for my other subsonics.

Boolit Bub
    Naporter,

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out for any updates.

I've seen the feed ramp mod before and expected it would probably be needed. I do have M4 ramps but even those sometimes need a bit of widening for the heavy cast bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Here's what I got. Ran two sets of 5 against a Lee 230 gen powder coated. The lees did well, but the NOE's lacked accuracy. This was at 50yards. The load was with IMR 4227 and CCI 450 primer in converted brass. Bullets powder coated and sized to .309 using a push through die. I think if I expand the neck and size the bullet larger, I'll have better results. Just don't have the stuff to do it at the moment. Velocities were around my goal of 1000. The change in powder charge to 10.4 didn't make much difference in velocity, however the 10.0 did not have enough powder to lock the bolt open on last round. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	191783

I've got a couple hundred that I cast up last week. Are you looking for data for expansion or accuracy?

Boolit Bub
    xdmalder,
    Accuracy at this point. hairydog was kind enough to send me a sample of the the 147 bullets(not HP) to test.

I'll post up my results when I get into it. It may be a couple weeks before I can dedicate the time to do the work up.

Boolit Master
    You really need to expand the neck, the case will just swage them down other wise. Even my old clunker Mosin will make dime size groups at 25yds with the NOE, not much difference at 50. But I invested in the NOE neck expanders.

Accuracy so far with PB bullets I went out and shot around 1.5" groups at 100 yards in a 10.5" barrel AR. Cast with COWW and water dropped. Very very little nose damage. Also did expansion tests. Nose fragmenting and shank continued through most likely tumbling. But I am not counting on tumbling. It is only an added bonus. The bullet weighed 225 grain before shot and 169 grains recovered. This may be a done deal as far as testing goes. Am quite happy already. Now I just need to get the gun to cycle better with an adjustable gas block and larger gas port.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    You really need to expand the neck, the case will just swage them down other wise. Even my old clunker Mosin will make dime size groups at 25yds with the NOE, not much difference at 50. But I invested in the NOE neck expanders.
    Yes the NOE expanders are top notch! I have some of them and will be using them in all my guns shortly!

Boolit Bub
    I loaded up a handful of cartridges with the bullets Hairy Dawg cast. Sized to .310, tumble lubed with Lee liquid Alox, on 9.5 gr CFE BLK.

This is an extrapolated charge based on data from Hodgdon CFE BLK and AA 1680 as neither have data on 140+ cast pills.

I'll try to hit the range tomorrow to test for cycling and stability. Then I'll have to borrow a buddy's chrony to go any further.

Boolit Bub
    I finally got to the range today.

The charge is light. The rounds ejected but did not feed.

While they weren't exactly key holing, the holes were definitely oval rather than round. I'll bump the charge and try again, but I feel this does not bode well for this bullet in my barrel. I may have to go down to a 200gr pill to shorten it up enough to stabilize.

Banned

the 8 twists really struggle with anything over 200 grains.
    the 7 twists will stabilize the 240 LEE down to them just about falling out the barrel speeds.
    I'm not sure how slow 3.5grs of powder is pushing them but the 7 twist stabilizes them with a rifle primer, not so much with a pistol primer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast