RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Factory Lead Bullet Rifle for Deer?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    those are screaming deals on a lead rifle
    yes they are. this year, i hope to have a tc encore barrel that comes from MGM, 23" heavy factory barrel with skinner front and back sights in 500 linebaugh.
    next year i hope to have a husky in 9.3x57. i'll have to go peep sights on it, but thats another day.

Banned
    9.3x57 Mauser

9.3 x 57 | Hunting Firearms

9.3×57mm - Wikipedia

9.3x57? - Shooters Forum

this is just a few that i looked up. using a cast boolits, say a 270ish gr going roughly 1800fps, will take any deer down. the recoil should be like a 30-30 with 170gr factory loads. i use a 30-40 krag(1898spr armory) that goes 1800+/-fps with 165gr ranch dog that is like a 243win.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I think I am leaning more toward recommending to the boy an American made rifle like the Ruger American in 308 caliber for the easiest to purchase and buy ammo for, that could also be reloaded with lead bullets. A standard 30-06 is also a good option but it has too much empty space in the casing for shooting lead bullets. Of course I would much rather him buy a 38-55 lever action rifle, but the chances of him finding one of those is pretty slim too.
    You are on the right track here. Since he is just beginning to hunt and cast boolits, keeping it simple with a common caliber will help him and as he gets into the process, you will have fun watching him grow with interest.

We shoot pistol caliber carbines in 44mag and 357mag mostly. My new toys for next year are an old Savage 340 in 3030, and an AR10 in 308. We shoot cast in the carbines, except the 44 since its a Ruger semiauto. The Savage will be using fp lead boolits, the 357 shoots 170gr SWCGC boolits, and if the AR10 will chamber them, I plan on trying the same ones from the 3030 in it. I may just have the use the j words in it though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123