RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: CZ 557 Counter Sniper comments plz?

Boolit Master

CZ 557 Counter Sniper comments plz?

Any comments about this http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-557-urban-counter-sniper/ would be most welcome.

My use is punching holes in paper at 100 and 200 yards. What is appealing is the length of the rifle, reported accuracy, and versatility of the 308 allowing it to be loaded light or not so light. The 557 is push feed and lacks the set trigger and the controlled round feed of the 550 which is available (although no longer made by CZ) in the CZ 550 308 Varmint at Bud's for a lot less money. I just don't care to lug around a long barrelled rifle if it can be avoided and find I don't use a set trigger often if the non set trigger is capable. Have no affection for being battered by recoil and thinking the muzzle brake combined with lighter, but accurate, loads might achieve large one hole accuracy if I get lucky and still have the ability to run full power loads which I expect to be almost one large hole at 100 yards.

Thank you

Boolit Master

Looks like an upgrade to the CZ 550 7.62 rifles that were used by a unit that I advised in South America. The ones down there were fine shooters and I actually liked them better than the M24 SWC that we were issued at the time. Good long range accuracy (ammo dependent) with good function and usability.

That's actually a flash hider on the muzzle and probably necessary given the liveliness of the 308 with ball or match loads. My 18" 308 Manlicher stocked carbine with an 18" barrel shows a large ball of fire even in the day time with M80 ball ammo. It's loud too.

ave no affection for being battered by recoil and thinking the muzzle brake combined with lighter, but accurate, loads might achieve large one hole accuracy if I get lucky and still have the ability to run full power loads which I expect to be almost one large hole at 100 yards.
    A muzzle brake will make that 16" barrel even louder... perhaps even painful. Once you have Tinnitus, you'll always have it, so give your desire for a muzzle brake a second thought. Another point is that the lighter the load, the less effective a muzzle brake is so if you want to shoot lighter loads, the muzzle brake may not help much.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-04-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    If it is not crf then I would not pay that for it.

Buy a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win.
    Buy a M40A1 stock from McMillan (barreled action will drop right in)
    Have gunsmith cut, crown and thread barrel 20" long.
    Buy a can and screw on to barrel.
    Enjoy!

My own has not been shortened. It WILL shoot less than 1/2" at 100 with several match/premium loads or handloads in either the SPS stock or the McMillan. I just haven't got around to getting the can yet.
    Attachment 192600
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 04-04-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    With a 16" barrel, it doesn't have to hit anything. The fireball and the earsplitting noise should disable any intended target, yourself, and anyone else around. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Boolit Master
    Thanks again for the useful comments especially those warning me about damage to my hearing. I will let this idea go and wait for the soon to be released more flexible rifle from CZ - the 527 American in 6.5 Grendal. Less expensive, less damaging to nearby ears and an interesting cartridge to load for in a rifle I like with that fits my body almost perfectly.

Boolit Master

have you looked a Savage this is on my list http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR
    20" or 24" barrels
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    If it is not crf then I would not pay that for it.

Buy a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win.
    Buy a M40A1 stock from McMillan (barreled action will drop right in)
    Have gunsmith cut, crown and thread barrel 20" long.
    Buy a can and screw on to barrel.
    Enjoy!

My own has not been shortened. It WILL shoot less than 1/2" at 100 with several match/premium loads or handloads in either the SPS stock or the McMillan. I just haven't got around to getting the can yet.
    Attachment 192600
    I'm just stirring the pot here, but you advise the OP to NOT buy one non-controlled-round feed rifle, but to buy a different non-CRF rifle. Sure, there are more aftermarket accessories/parts available for the Remington, but the CZs are typically excellent rifles.

Just wondering about the why.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I would not buy a new Remington 700 given the occasional reports of quality control issues. Others with more expertise can likely sort through examples increasing the odds of getting a good one.

It stuck me odd also that one who dislikes push feed would suggest a Remington 700. Everyone likes equipment they have had sucess with.

Is controlled round feed is always better than a push feed? It appears both methods have advantages and best depends on how it is used.

I have not had sucess like the poster who used to post pictures of five shot, one ragged hole groups from a CZ 527 Russian Carbine at 100 yards using cast. It shows the capability of at least one of their examples shot by a careful handloader and shooter. Apparently I am a CZ fan just like the poster who is a fan of what gave him enjoyment.

I find it interesting that the CZ 557 I originally asked about replaced the 550 model and is about a third cheaper while providing what is to me a better product. It trades away the single set trigger for a reportedly better non set trigger and uses a less expensive to manufacture push feed rather than controlled round feed, but it is a better product in many ways. Lots of good choices available. Great time for the hobby.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    have you looked a Savage this is on my list http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR
    20" or 24" barrels
    Have no experience with Savage rifles and wish I had the time to work through what is routinely reported to be an excellent product at a great price point. Thank you for the suggestion.

Boolit Master
    I DID NOT advise not to buy the rifle the OP is considering. I said, "If it is not crf then I would not pay that for it." There is a big difference.

Also, I did not say that I did not like push feed. Indeed, I posted a picture of mine, an example of the alternative I suggested.

Yes, CZ's are quality rifles, but a Remington 700 is cheaper and just as good in my experience. I have been buying Remington 700's for more than 40 years and never experienced the quality problems I've seen reported here. Makes me wonder why I am always "lucky".

YMMV
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 04-06-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak

When there is a low probability of an extremely adverse event occurring most people will be lucky and not experience the adverse event; however that does not eliminate the risk of extreme loss if one is unlucky. As your rifles age back for 40 years you are in the majority who have been lucky. If I had a Remington 700 which was at risk then this https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/...t-trigger.aspx would get my attention and money.

If you don't care for main stream media reporting there are folks posting Remington 700 trigger related videos on YouTube. With many good products available why take an avoidable risk? On the other hand the new trigger, new stock, modified barrel and have a smith go over everything - why bother when other out of the box products are minute of angle or better?

You have always been lucky because your number has not come up.

Buy a rifle for shooting offhand and learn that discipline. Lots of fun banging plates offhand with a sporter
    -weight rifle. So many "sniper rifles" these days and very few snipers. Perplexing ...

Boolit Master

I'll just say this, I've been shooting Remington 700's for more than 40 years and I have never experienced a trigger problem and I was one who has altered their triggers when I felt I didn't have the money to purchase a Shilen 2 oz trigger back in the day. I've known close to 100 other Remington 700 owners who never had a trigger problem and they never knew anyone that did.

Now for that father who killed his son with a Remington 700. My 1st question was why was that barrel pointed at his son? That's the major question! I've been around a few AD's with 2oz triggers - each instance, that trigger was touched, no exceptions. Myself, I have doubts on that story, as well as, most of the others.

If one owns a firearm, he has the responsibility to maintain it in a good working order - slopping oil on a trigger group for many years might cause problems, as might leaving a wet bore with a cleaning solution stored barrel up, as some of that solution may work its way down into your trigger group. Removing and cleaning your trigger group every now and then is usually a good idea, so is cleaning that trigger group without taking it from the action.

Boolit Grand Master

There are internal Remington memos from Walker himself about the trigger. He wanted them to be changed but the bean counters decided the few extra cents per rifle was to much money. Unfortunately some have paid the ultimate price for this decision. I don't know anyone who has an effected one. But there are far to many instances to call it an isolated incident.

The question was asked about "safe direction". What direction is safe if it can fire at any time? Safe direction also changes by what's going on around the firearm. This topic has been beaten like a dead horse. There are people that refuse to accept that Remington could have avoided all of this. Their own internal memos are what did them in.