Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: S&W grip interchange

S&W grip interchange

Will a K frame grip fit an I frame or are they different? Thanks!

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    It was my understanding, probably from an old Taffin article, that the I-frame grip was a hair shorter than J-frame but that J-frame grips would sort of fit. I don't believe K frame grips would fit.

Edit to add: I don't believe I and J frames are swappable across the 1950s transition line though, so it depends whether you mean the post-'52 or pre.

Boolit Grand Master
    K frame grips will fit K, L and some round butt N frames. I frame fits I frame, J frame fits J; although some J frame after market will fit I frames, sometimes with a bit of fitting.

Robert

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I read this and tried it. A 1953 Regulation Police "Improved I" frame with a 1964 Model 36 "J" frame. By my fitness standards they are not interchangeable. "K" frame grips are totally out of the question.
    The 1920's original "I" frame Regulation Police is completely different, even to the "step" in the back strap and the consequent fitting of the grips.

Here is my Model 1903 HE 3rd change that dates from 1924 wearing the latest J frame combat grips. Just the slightest bit of dremel work and they are a perfect fit. K-Frame grips are quite a bit larger than J frame.

Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks! My 32-20 HE looks just like yours, I was thinking it was more like a K frame but I see that is not the case. J frame grips it is, to make something more like what you have there so I can hold on to it.

-Nobade

Your 32-20 would be a K frame. There were no 32-20 I frames built. Depending on serial number it is either a model 1902 or a model 1905. Properly called amoungst collectors, the .32-20 Hand Ejector Model of 1902 or 1905.

Stu

Man, I learn all sorts of things around here. I thought it looked like a K frame but then heard the HEs were I frames. Makes more sense now. Thanks! If I can just use K frame grips life is easy with this one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ah yes, learning curve, gotta love it. From the Standard Catalog of S&W, "Hand Ejectors are the typical modern solid frame revolver and a cylinder that swings out to the left side to load. Empty cases are ejected by pushing on the end of the rod extending from the front of the cylinder, hence the name "Hand Ejector". From 1896 to 1957 they were known by descriptive model names and 1957 to present by model numbers. The term HE covers all calibers in type.

Stu