Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger SR9E

Boolit Buddy

Ruger SR9E

I have been looking at the Ruger SR9E for awhile. They are basic with no frills but seem to be a real bargain (I like the thumb safety). I understand that they are very reliable and will handle just about any ammo. Do any of you have a real world experience ? I would appreciate your input...thank you...

rick

Boolit Master
    I have 2 of them. The standard model, and the Davidsons Exclusive with the red camo frame. These guns are a great value for little money. I have fired everything from 90 gr to 147 gr with no problems. My handload in cast is a Noe 124 gr TC GC. They're great with lead boolits. Get your hands on one, and you'll take it home.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They seem nice enough but I think the S&W SD is a better deal. Stainless slide, comes with two mags not one, choice of 9mm or .40 S&W, costs $20-40.00 less around here. I'm kind of tempted to buy one just 'cause!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    They seem nice enough but I think the S&W SD is a better deal. Stainless slide, comes with two mags not one, choice of 9mm or .40 S&W, costs $20-40.00 less around here. I'm kind of tempted to buy one just 'cause!
    I think the SR9E is a very good pistol. I have shot one and wish it had kept it. Just wasn't the "in thing" at the time and I stupidly traded it off.

I like the SD9/40VE as well. I wish it came in a Compact version. Always on sale for $290ish around here.

Of course for the same price or $50 more, you can get a used M&P or Gen3 Glock. So I don't know. Both of the pistols have pricey magazines and after market support is very lacking.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I think all of the Ruger SR pistols will walk the plank within the year. Prices have been dropping and my dealer says his distributors don't show as many in stock as they used to. I like Ruger but decided to go with Glock for my mainstay bottom feeders. They are overpriced for what they are but once purchased you enjoy a plethora of low priced parts, mags, and aftermarket goodies.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I think all of the Ruger SR pistols will walk the plank within the year. Prices have been dropping and my dealer says his distributors don't show as many in stock as they used to. I like Ruger but decided to go with Glock for my mainstay bottom feeders. They are overpriced for what they are but once purchased you enjoy a plethora of low priced parts, mags, and aftermarket goodies.
    That is what kills most New pistols, Glocks and the fact they have tons of aftermarket support. But I will be he first one to say that besides Sights, there is nothing most new pistols (Glocks included) need.

I'm being drawn to the new M&P 2.0. Hope they come out with a Compact version soon. Don't know way, I am not a fan of their finish, but they do call to me. Maybe because they are American. And I would like to see USA besides AUSTRIA on my pistols.

Lefty

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

The M&P actually has a fair amount of aftermarket support, as does the Springfield XD. Galloway Precision is the only place I can think of that ever really offered much for the Ruger SR's, I think they have some stuff for the SD too.

One thing Ruger did right on the new American is that apparently it has Novak sight dovetails, so you automatically have at least one source of different sights.

Ruger SR9E

I just bought one a month ago. I actually like it better than my sr9c. Ruger customer support is second to none. It is the sr9 with out the loaded chamber indicator and I think will allow the user to fire after the magazine has been removed. Like others have said, it will probably be discontinued with the success of the American series.