Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 30 Carbine

Boolit Buddy

30 Carbine

I was given 1500+ rounds of 30 Carbine ammo recently. It consists of surplus military and reloads. The reloads are from decades ago. Mostly FMJ but there are some jacketed soft point loads. Ammo is mostly clean. I did find a small note indicating WW296 powder was utilized in the reloads which I believe is the standard powder. Do any of you know of a source that would pull the reloads down and reman with a precise powder load to duplicate the factory load. I am reluctant to fire the reloads since I did not know the reloader. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,

rick

get a kinetic hammer, pull all of them, dump the powder, reload with a known powder.

Be safe

Boolit Grand Master
    .30 Carbine might be long enough to pull with a shell holder in a press and a set of wire cutters, I normally use a large set of end nips.

Much smoother and quieter than a kinetic puller. Easier on the nerves too.

After that, a set of .30 Carbine dies and you're ready to re-expand the case mouth and continue loading.

Robert

Boolit Master
    May need an extension for shell holder, but I vote for using wirecrimper also.
    Factory standard early WWII, was 15.0gr of Win296/H110.
    Max is 15.5gr. My '44 Saginaw w/underwood barrel prefers 14.7gr for just under 2,100fps.
    My opinion is that a lot of the problems with combat usage was under loaded late war thru early '80's ammo. Some barely exceeds 1,800fps which would cause problems in cold weather.
    Id pull a couple and see if total pull down is warranted.

Boolit Grand Master

"Id pull a couple and see if total pull down is warranted."

Same here.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I'll agree with just checking a few also. Hard to double charge a 30 carbine.

maybe 12 foot drop tube and compression die in a swage press.

That many I would get a collet puller. That's a lot of rounds to pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My old hands much prefer a collet puller.

Barring that, I learned here to use the loading die shell holder in the kinetic puller hammer.

Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    My old hands much prefer a collet puller.

Barring that, I learned here to use the loading die shell holder in the kinetic puller hammer.

Works like a charm.
    This. But I would pull down seven at random & if they pass muster I would shoot them up. That's just me though.

In Remembrance

The question I would ask about using a collet puller is this, `Does the bullet project itself high enough from the case to get ahold of it`? Found out that a jacketed .45 cal. SP. in a .45 LC doesn`t sit high enough to use a collet puller on, pulled just over 300 rounds with a quinetic RCBS puller. The rounds were from an acquintence`s estate with no records of the loading.Robert

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    You're wise to ask about unknown ammo, especially reloads.

I've been doing some research on why my carbine started doubling on me.....made for a very interesting range day.......when I came across this thread. As a result of my reading, be very sure that all primers are flush with the case. Slam (out of battery) fires or doubling can happen otherwise, mostly with reloads.

I think my problem is different though. After replacing the extractor on my m1 (a commercial gun/IMI) and having it go full auto, I disassembled the gun and found the firing pin firmly jammed forward. I managed to drive it back with a brass drift, but it's still tight in the bolt body, so either I goofed somehow or the pin is bent causing it to stick. A disassembly tool is on the way so I can get in further and find out what's going on.

Boolit Master
    In my limited experience, .30 Carbine Ammo that was loaded to Specified Cartridge overall Length can be pulled down using a Collet type Puller with less Mess (spillage), noise, and Worry than with a Kinetic puller.
    The bullets come out reusable in both methods.
    The Propellant is MUCH easier to fully capture and hold for either measure and reuse or for distribution later as fertilizer (lots of Nitrogen in it).
    the Cases may be reloaded as is or de-primed in a later Process.
    NOTE: Military Cartridges have primer retention Staking that will need to be removed before inserting a new primer.
    ALL USA made Military .30 Carbine ammo is None-Mercuric and None-Corrosive Primed.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

I've been using an RCBS collet pullet puller for many years, and it works fine on .30 Carbine jacketed bullets. Sealed GI ammo can be tough, you really have to get a good bite to keep them from slipping, but I can't see much point in pulling down the GI rounds.

Personally if it were me, I would do exactly as a couple others suggest: randomly pull down a couple dozen rounds of the reloads and check them over carefully. Powder charge and consistency of powder charge, proud or crushed primers, brass too long or trimmed too short; all signs of sloppy reloading. If they checked out good and consistent I'd be tempted to shoot them. I know that's a big taboo to some folks so it's just my opinion.

Send them to me. I can pull those bullets with one (trigger) finger....

Boolit Buddy
    I'd shoot the military.

I'd probably pull all of the reloads, or at least a large sample to weight and inspect the powder.

Some of the 30 Carbine bullets were .307" years ago if I remember right. I did try to pull down some Aguila that I picked up on a range and the collet couldn't get traction. They were .308" at the base but tapered forward from there.