RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wisconsin TriggerMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel Media

Thread: Star hycar washer size

Star hycar washer size

I recently purchased my first star sizer here. I decided to add an air cylinder after much reading here. I found a piece of 1" brass round stock kicking around & decided this would be my piston. I cut 2 grooves in it for "O" rings to seal against the tube wall. My question is how much resistance should I have when moving the piston in the tube. The tube ID measures 1.082", my "O" ring mounted on the piston measures 1.100". I can insert it by hand but it is fairly snug. It takes 10psi to get the piston to move on a completely clean & empty tube. I figure I can always put it back on the lathe & cut another .005". I thought I could use the hycar washer outside diameter as a rough guide. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star piston.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	191131  

Super Moderator

I don't know how the 0-rings will work.
    the regular ones just use the plunger end from the screw down types, and they have that little scraper type washer on them.
    but they can be very tight in the cylinder.
    so tight that sometimes I'm pretty sure I'd knock myself out if my hands slipped or it popped loose while I was pulling it free.
    it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

this opinion brought to you by mister low-tech solution..

Boolit Master

Grease the Hycar washer when you put it in and it will come out easier the next time. I use a little STOS lubricant, which is a gun grease I've had around for years. It keeps you from poking your eye out when pulling the lube piston out of the reservoir. I would imagine the same thing would work for the O-rings.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Well I received my die from lathesmith & proceeded to size boolits faster than I could before. My homemade piston worked just fine with 6661 lube. Now I need to buy more dies. Add me to the list of Star enthusiasts.