Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LR Primers

Boolit Buddy

LR Primers

Recently was gifted 1500+ LR primers. I do reload my 308 but don't shoot it that much and have a good supply of LR primers for my needs. My question is can they be used as LP? 45LC in particular.

It is my understanding that SP and SR are the same dimensions, but LR primers are longer than LP primers. You might not get them to seat deep enough.

Nope, you cannot. The rifle primers are taller than pistol primers and will stand proud above the case head. Not a good thing.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

they don't go bad so stack em on the shelf for your 308.

Boolit Master

1500 is a lot for something that you don't use a lot of. Perhaps you can trade some to someone in your area for other primers that you can use.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    Try them and see. Prime a few cases and see if they seat flush. Fire the primed cases to see if they ignite.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Get your caliber out and measure them!

Be safe, my friend!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Personally, I would try and trade them for primers you'll use more often. You can use usually use LP or LP magnum primers in place of LR in some applications such as 500 S&W cases but if you want/need to reload LR primers in cases designed for LP primers, you might consider dressing up the primer pocket. If you want to try this method on a few cases, just order the Sinclair tool for uniforming primer pockets. I use the power setup and have the carbide cutters for SL, LR and LP primers and use with my Ryobi HP53L battery powered screwdriver. I use that tool to uniform and clean my primer pockets prior to reloading - just a habit of mine.

Attachment 191186Attachment 191187Attachment 191188

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod34720.aspx

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...+international

Boolit Grand Master

I would NOT try to use those LR primers in a large pistol case. This is a BAD idea! I would just simply swap them to someone for LP primers.

FWIW
    Dale53

I was curious, too, so I just tried it. A CCI 200 large rifle primer sits just barely proud of the primer pocket in a Winchester 45ACP case. You can just barely see and feel it. I inserted the primed case in a Ruger Blackhawk and the cylinder rotated with no binding at all. I didn't expect any, since the primer was almost flush to begin with. I don't have my press set up for 45 Colt just now, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

If you try it, remember that the rifle primers will be pretty hot, like a magnum LP primer, so be guided accordingly. I would probably use them in a pinch, but you might be better off trading them, as noted above.

Good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Rifle primers have a thicker cup in an attempt to prevent primer piercing with high pressure rifle calibers cases. That's probably the main difference in addition to a slight height difference. In larger cases such as 500 JRH cases the velocity difference will be 25 to 35 fps greater using the rifle primers. I don't worry about pressure difference between the different primers but if you what a hot primer for cold weather or ball powders, I think the CCI350 is the hottest USA LP primer on the market and they are alleged to generate pressure in excess of 9,000 psi over regular LP primers. The source for that statement comes from John Linebaugh when he was working up loads for his 475/500/500L calibers in cooperation with Hornady, using their factory pressure instruments.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I would NOT try to use those LR primers in a large pistol case. This is a BAD idea! I would just simply swap them to someone for LP primers.

FWIW
    Dale53
    Why?

My Marlin 94 in 44MAG has digested at least 5000 shots loaded with LR primers.
    My 45 LC Colt SAA has ample room for proud primers and wont bind up.
    Do i need to play the lottery before i die a soon death?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Why?

I don't think you are alone.
    I did a swap years ago, in a package which I had hoped to receive 1x 44 mag brass, BUT I received a mix of of empty cases, primed cases, live ammo...in both 45 colt and 44 mag ...I'm not sure what the fellow was thinking?

All the 45 colt had proud primers, which I assume were all LR primers, which I deduced after depriming and measuring them.

I surely wouldn't use LR primers in 45 colt...but that's just me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I tried large rifle primers in a 44 mag a long time ago , but they locked up the action in my single action , I definitely wouldn't try them in a tube fed lever . At 30.00 a thousand it's just not worth the risk . I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't think I would do it . But I have shot a lot of small rifle primers in the 9mm . So I might be the nut . Be safe

Why?

The problem with high primers is not a feeding issue.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

LR Primers

Why?
    Because the LR primers are the wrong dimensions. Feel free to do whatever you want. But no one should ever say it's a safe and sound practice to use LR primers in a case designed for LP.

I've done many dangerous things over the years. Truth be told I should be dead many times over. I'm sure most of us are like this. I'm definitely not going to tell me Son he should do what I did. Reloading is dangerous when done improperly.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 03-21-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Friends, rounds with high primers may well function in the firearm, but that is not the issue. Rounds with high primers in a revolvers will come back hard against the recoil shield when a round is fired. Rounds with high primers in a tubular magazine rifle, will come back hard against the nose of the bullet behind it when a round is fired in the chamber.

I didn't think it would be necessary to tell folk this, but I guess it is. Sure some folks do it and get by with it for a time. Years ago, I told a man not to shoot high base magnum duck loads in his grandfather old Damascus twist shotgun. He told me he had done it for year and went on down the road. Four years later, he lost an eye when he fired on to many of those high pressure rounds in Grandpap's shotgun.

Anybody that wants to shoot rifle primers in handgun cases (LR), have at it, but don't expect sympathy from me if you get injured. It is a fool's play to shoot LR primers in handgun rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

Amen! Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Friends, rounds with high primers may well function in the firearm, but that is not the issue. Rounds with high primers in a revolvers will come back hard against the recoil shield when a round is fired. Rounds with high primers in a tubular magazine rifle, will come back hard against the nose of the bullet behind it when a round is fired in the chamber.

I didn't think it would be necessary to tell folk this, but I guess it is. Sure some folks do it and get by with it for a time. Years ago, I told a man not to shoot high base magnum duck loads in his grandfather old Damascus twist shotgun. He told me he had done it for year and went on down the road. Four years later, he lost an eye when he fired on to many of those high pressure rounds in Grandpap's shotgun.

Anybody that wants to shoot rifle primers in handgun cases (LR), have at it, but don't expect sympathy from me if you get injured. It is a fool's play to shoot LR primers in handgun rounds.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^^

The slamming of the case against the breech face and other problems ( firing out of battery) are the concern.

Boolit Master
    Trade them, guns are expensive, and body parts are hard to replace. It's never a good idea, not saying it won't work, just not a good idea. A Ruger Blackhawk is a far cry stronger than a semi auto pistol, so a person can get away with a little more stupidity with one. Do what you want, but I would STRONGLY SUGGEST trading them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast