WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marauder .25

Boolit Master

Marauder .25

Called pyramid on Friday and ordered a rifle, four tins of jsb match diablo exact king 25 grain pellets, and an air venturi 4500psi hand pump.

Lurking around the reloading room is a nice leupold 3x9 airgun scope with adjustable objective, marked down to 10 meters. And several sets of 3/8" rail scope rings.

Come on fed-ex! Wednesday is the projected day.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

That's going to be one seriously nice hunting and target air gun. Please report back on how many pumps,or how long it takes to hand pump it to full capacity, and of course, how it shoots.

I'm still researching all possibilities of what to get lol.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Called pyramid on Friday and ordered a rifle, four tins of jsb match diablo exact king 25 grain pellets, and an air venturi 4500psi hand pump.

Lurking around the reloading room is a nice leupold 3x9 airgun scope with adjustable objective, marked down to 10 meters. And several sets of 3/8" rail scope rings.

Come on fed-ex! Wednesday is the projected day.

Let us know how you like it I have been debating on this exact one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Let us know how you like it I have been debating on this exact one.
    Imagine that. Me too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My reasons for choosing the .25 despite the 4.4 cents cot of pellets?
    I have an Anschutz .177 side leaver, it's awesome to about 20 yards. My backfence is 70 yards from the house. So close in I had it covered.
    For the past several years I have been using a .17hm2, despite having plenty of ammo for it, the sharp crack is un-neighborly.

800+ Fps is usually a velocity with few leading problems.

There are a few ranches around here that have serious ground squirrel problems and close neighbors, irrigation lines and livestock.
    So, (with a slight show of buck teeth) hyuk, hyuk, Yes sir Mr. rancher, I got's me a pellet rifle!
    Last edited by clodhopper; 03-20-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Great buy. My neighbors have loved me ever since I got my customized CondorSS. They all come to me with erradication requests. Experimenting is really fun. Try a tin of the JSB heavy 25's. I was worried about fps but when I started using heavies I've had no problems shooting squirrels and chucks out to about 125yds.
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master

The jsb "heavies" are what I ordered.

All the experts online claim they are great, price is right up there. I get a lot more entertainment experimenting with hold overs and wind corrections than from trying every possible load.

If the jsbs shoot well, probably would only experiment with home cast.

Perma-Banned

Did you order the wood stock version or the synthetic? I like the wood stock but a pound lighter is nice on the synthetic.

Boolit Master

I like walnut and blued steel.

The day before the order went in my walnut stocked 10-22 broke at the wrist, yes it was abused.

So I ordered the plastic.

The broken stock is repaired now, took a drill and sank two 31/64 holes through the wrist and drove a couple tightbond soaked 1/2" wooden dowel pins.
    Finished sanding last night and put a coat of oil on it. It's functional...but it's ugly.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

4 to 5 cents a shot is not a bad deal at all, considering no brass cases, or primers, or powder to buy, and the air is free except for the pumping effort.

Boolit Buddy
    Clodhopper, these are the ones I meant...not the 25gr ones: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/JSB_Di...med_300ct/1269
    Its addicting. If I shot any more I'd probably get a Shoebox compressor and some swage dies. Mr Hollowpoint makes some slugs that are even heavier.
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Buddy
    This is another great site. He did my custom work and is very helpful. Also, check out their forum...http://talontunes.com/
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    Clodhopper, these are the ones I meant...not the 25gr ones: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/JSB_Di...med_300ct/1269
    Its addicting. If I shot any more I'd probably get a Shoebox compressor and some swage dies. Mr Hollowpoint makes some slugs that are even heavier.
    Drat! I thought I got the heavy ones!
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

The rifle arrived today, Got the scope mounted.

Unfortunately, the pump and pellets are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    That's the worst!

Boolit Grand Master
    I came so close a number of times to ordering one. The deal killer for me had been the air supply issue. At 66, the manual pump is unattractive. Buying and filling scuba tanks adds another factor.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I came so close a number of times to ordering one. The deal killer for me had been the air supply issue. At 66, the manual pump is unattractive. Buying and filling scuba tanks adds another factor.
    I'm 61, but hope the exercise will be good for me.
    Already scheming on simple stilt to set the pump on so I don' need to bend over to pump.

A scuba tank is pretty unwieldy, I have one, it's out of date.

Vendors sell smaller tanks, but I stretched the finances enough buying the rifle and pump. If the pumping is not to horrible, a 9mm PCP may be in my future.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Dverna,
    Once you get the tank filled it's not much of a problem. I usually get 20-25 accurate shots before I have to pump. After about 20 it's down to about 2000psi and doesn't take long to refill. I can't remember for sure but believe it's about 10-15 pumps per 100psi (after the connector tube is filled). No matter though...especially if retired. Ya have all the time in the world. And, it's not a workout at all. If you don't like pumping all you have to do is get a "shoebox" bumper for your compressor. http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/
    Domari Nolo

My opinion, give it another year. Makers are learning fast how to get more power from less air. Making PCP air rifles more efficient.

Like you I have no desire to be tied to buying tanks full of air, or lugging tanks around, or be tied by the hose to the tank.

But things are changing fast in that world.

I don't think I would jump for just another .22 or even a .25.

9mm, .357, something that I can buy a mold for and cast my own ammo for. Something with enough energy to in theory take down a deer. That would cleanly and quietly head shot a Yote, a Coon, or a badger.

Something that would give me 30 or more shots for a half hours pumping.

That might be worth spending 500$ on.

Boolit Master
    Different strokes for different folks. I use my air rifles for starlings mostly. The .25 while overkill lets me stretch the legs of an air rifle and give a good margin of error for wind etc. 30 shots are plenty for my use and a bit of pumping is worth it for the difference between a springer and the advantages of pcp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast