Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: electric stove eyes

Boolit Master

electric stove eyes

Hello all - good group here and I have a question. I've used gas stoves most of my life, but the wife got a new Gen-Aire electric stove when we moved into new (to us) house. When the eye is set to medium (anything less than high) the eye goes to high, then turns off, then back to high - I guess it's high since it's bright red. My thinking was when on medium the eye would use a triact (or something) to allow smaller amount of electric power to heat eye up only to mid point, but be solid at that medium level.

Is the above normal for electric stove eyes?

We've about decided to get a gas stove, but have to have a tank, lines, etc for gas stove.

Thanks for any info.

Ken H>

Boolit Master
    Is this a flat top or coil elements that stick up? Got a model number? The switch is the normal voltage/temperature regulator but depends on the model.

Boolit Master

I've had electric stoves for the last 20 years in several houses. The action you described is normal. It comes on then goes off repeatedly. How fast it goes off and the ratio of off to on is determined by the level of heat you set on the dial. Low only comes on briefly and then goes off. High stays on longer before going off.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Mine cycled on and off to maintain whatever heat level you selected.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the answers - that's the same as my stove. Does that seem like a poor design to ya'll? Why not allow the on-board micro-controller (computer) which most all stoves have these days to simply allow a % of full power, depending on where the control knob was set?

This is a Genn-Air stove with the glass covering over the heating coils.

Thanks again for the responses - now I know my stove isn't broke, just poor design.

Ken H>

In Remembrance

Agree that is normal.

Boolit Grand Master
    Currently looking at the feasibility of getting a gas range/stove.
    From my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, stainless flex gasline is replacing black iron pipe??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Vendor Sponsor

Plastic is replacing all of it now..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Most electric appliances operate by being fully on or off. Some of the newer front load washers have variable power output to the motors for the spin cycle.

Boolit Master
    Am I wrong, but it seems like years ago the old fashion electric stoves not regulate amount of heat rather than just turning elements OFF or ON? Just seems like I can remember seeing eyes that were just low red rather than bright red? Todays stoves it would be so simple to allow just amount of electric current required to heat element to amount of heat required.

Boolit Grand Master

Simple, but efficient? I'm no engineer, but wonder about the loss involved. Full on/full off I think is the most efficient.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You're right, with the old fashioned style of rheostat where the excess current is dumped as heat it would be very inefficient. Using a SSR (Solid State Relay) with the same technology we do in the PID control of casting pots they heating element is turned ON and OFF very rapidly allowing only the amount of energy thru to heat amount desired.

To get what I want, I guess we'll look at the idea of gas stove, but venting is the problem the way the cabinets are made above stove.

Ken