Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 23 and me gentic profiling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same.
    Or you may be in for an unexpected surprise.
    Paternity studies on first born children have shown that over 4% of first born are not the child of the man listed as father

Some times it is better not to know

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ervices.uknews
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Banned

"jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same"

I believe it would be close. I would like to find some unknown relatives. He is working on it. He got 1% Jewish and 1% Malawi. Everthing else was from Great Britian to Northern and Eastern Europe. Zero Native Americn which goes against family lore. Don't really care where it all came from, I just find it facinating.

It seems like brothers and sisters should have the same ancestry background. After all, they both got half their DNA from mom and half from dad.
    But because of how DNA is passed on, it is possible for two siblings to have some big differences in their ancestry at the DNA level. Culturally they may each say they are “1/8th Cherokee” but at the DNA level, one may have no Cherokee DNA at all.
    http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask378

So yes, it is definitely possible for two siblings to get pretty different ancestry results from a DNA test. Even when they share the same parents.

Boolit Master

I did the Ancestry test in early January (the 7th as I recall) and still haven't received the results. I'm very interested because last year I had a call from a lady that claimed to be my half sister. She has since had the DNA test and I'm awaiting the results to see if it's possible. She is a couple of years older and would have been conceived prior to my mothers marriage to my father. Very interesting!!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Here's a little geneogly tidbit . We have positive birth death and a government geneogly on a 1st cousin making common grandparents at my 5th great . Trouble is his grandfather was "probably" and even more troubling is that that grandfather was "probably" . DNA could provide the answer to "probably definitely" or give us "probably not likely" .

Ms has some pretty cool outlaws in the wood pile , I have some pretty cool treasonous traders in the wood pile (perspective only) , I suspect that there are also some that sided with the crown in that little temper tantrum the colonies called a revolution .
    It might be fun to know how prevalent twins really are in the family .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I did the Ancestry test in early January (the 7th as I recall) and still haven't received the results. I'm very interested because last year I had a call from a lady that claimed to be my half sister. She has since had the DNA test and I'm awaiting the results to see if it's possible. She is a couple of years older and would have been conceived prior to my mothers marriage to my father. Very interesting!!
    I have some conflicting time lines in my family too !

There was a story a couple of years , probably 10 now, about a lady in Reno that had been adopted on the east coast . Shortly after the adoption the family moved to Reno where she grew up with very strong friendships with a what turned out to be a group of 3rd cousins . She fell in love , got married , had kids and did some digging . After a couple of court actions she got all the names and dates . Turns out that she was the missing 1st cousin that tied all the cousins she grew up with together and unknowingly married to her 1st cousin . That was the motivation for a law change in Nevada about how adoption paperwork is disclosed to families and adoptees of age .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

It's pretty easy to trace my mothers side back to I think the 1640s in upstate NY and my grandfather from my father's side immigrated fro Italy aroud 1920. Now, being Italian, it wouldn't suuprise me to have some other nationalities in me. What is it thenSicillians say, grace of god and 60 miles.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same"

I believe it would be close. I would like to find some unknown relatives. He is working on it. He got 1% Jewish and 1% Malawi. Everthing else was from Great Britian to Northern and Eastern Europe. Zero Native Americn which goes against family lore. Don't really care where it all came from, I just find it facinating.

It seems like brothers and sisters should have the same ancestry background. After all, they both got half their DNA from mom and half from dad.
    But because of how DNA is passed on, it is possible for two siblings to have some big differences in their ancestry at the DNA level. Culturally they may each say they are “1/8th Cherokee” but at the DNA level, one may have no Cherokee DNA at all.

So yes, it is definitely possible for two siblings to get pretty different ancestry results from a DNA test. Even when they share the same parents.
    Reminds me of the joke the Navaho's tell: What do you call 64 Cherokees in a room? Full Blood.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Reminds me of the joke the Navaho's tell: What do you call 64 Cherokees in a room? Full Blood.
    Funny thing about that NA and northern European . There is a great deal of proof that they may well be one in the same .

Perm-Banned
    if you look up the latest research on native american DNA, native american DNA can be hidden and not detected. it is the only DNA that they think can be hidden, so far up to this point. a sioux said to a navaho, our reservation is so big that it takes all day to drive across it. the navaho said, yep we have cars like that to. a navaho grandma came home from shopping and said to grandpa navaho, the new president is sending all the illegal aliens back where they come from. grandpa navaho shouted, finally, they are going to send those white people back to where they came from.

Boolit Grand Master

I know my ancestry without spitting in a tube. It's American
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "Whenever I see Halle Berry I think Adolf was seriously messed up."

She is more "white" than anything else. You take Oprah.
    Maybe a better example would be Harris Faulkner?
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same.
    Spell ASUME. Lots could be different. You have assumed that they have the same father, same mother, not switched at birth, not adopted, no "ufo flying ancient alien" involvement, etc... Could be surprises involved. Remember the father splits his DNA and the mom too, to get a whole new combination.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    Already know a plenty about the family. Old maid aunt was big on family history research. Traced one ancestor back to arriving in Jamestown with Capt. Christopher Newport in 1609. Many other arrival before 1640. Latest known arrival was 1720. So far as known all English. Before that, well England was subject to many invasions and many different sourced people. At least 2 different invasions before the Romans and their Anglo and Saxon allies, then Vikings, then Normans of Viking lineage, then servants serfs and slaves from the crusades era, well always an ebb and flood of humanity. Neat info here and I'm going to see what I've got in me too. To start on the genotype/phenotype mix lets see: Gin/tonic my favorite libation, sun sensitive skin, brown hair, prefer fowling pieces to rifles, love my veggie garden, long lineage of civil service/public service/making things better professions, and oh yeah English names like Nottingham, Turner, James, West, Fisher, Rolph, Addison, Lee, Pruitt, Crockett.

Wife, claims and lineage of Ireland is known but whatever else not sure.

I'll check out some more DNA testing/research info like on consumer report and see who can tell what from those twisty ladder models.

best to all, 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234