Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 23 and me gentic profiling

Boolit Master

If you are worried about misuse of information from a DNA search, think of those who served in the Military. I know the government knows way more about me then I might like, but I also know that I got to do some interesting stuff in the Military. The DOD has my finger prints in printed form, electronic, has a file on where I have lived, worked and where I am now. What more could a DNA test provide? OH and I had a security clearance that took the DOD and FBI to clear me. You want to see the file they have on you, mine was 4 files, each about 2 plus inches thick. Heck they even knew as a kid growing up I was bullied and a runt, had a hard time accepting the 6 foot 4 inch guy across the table was once a runt. Working on a neighbors farm for 10 years puts muscle on a person, didn't hurt I ate like a horse.

One last point if you don't think that everything we write on the net isn't being scooped up and filed, along with every phone call, purchase then you are not paying attention.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Not sure that the gov't has my DNA info yet, but they do have everything else, as I had to get passed for a low level security clearance when I did some contract work for Uncle Sam and my Dad had a very high level clearance when he was working for a gov't contractor(s).

Not the issue here. The issue here is insurance companies bribing the gov't to force you to hand over your DNA to them, which they will use against you. Insurance companies are not in business to help you. They're in the business of separating you from your money.

Having a copy of your DNA will allow them to run individual computer models on every applicant, virtually guaranteeing that they will never show a loss on a single policy holder.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I know several people who have traced their genealogy's. What I always found amazing is that everyone is descended from some monarch centuries ago; but no one is descended from the town drunk or lady's of ill repute from generations ago!

As for me and mine; we have always known we were descended from Mongrel's and our only claim to fame was were were all Native Born Texicans.
    I know a couple of sisters in a family who claimed Royal German ancestors. The church records indicated one of their ancestors was a seamstress on a street noted for bordellos. Church records didn't mention a father. So it could have been a prince or a king
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

The results of this might be interesting but I doubt I will ever do it. Call it a mistrust if you will but I feel that I'm being watched and tracked much more than I'm comfortable with now. If I do a Google search for something, something related pops up on several of the Websites that I frequent. Enough is enough! No Thanks!!!

Perm-Banned
    i have been through a complete security investigation by the FBI. im one of those guys your scared of. and im not coming after you. my level of security clearance is three levels above top secret. or was back in the day. i dont know if the book will ever get wrote but a well know american author is sitting on my out line. i can tell you the real stuff about JFK the cuban crisis and many other things. its not like the historys books say. dont worry about your DNA, they and i mean they, know all about you. again, the FBI, watches this site, i know and do i care, not one bit. i have nothing to hide and i never will. i will match my war record with anyone of you. ive been there and done that. i turned from a boy to a man in my first hand to hand combat. ive done more than shoot a gun at someone. i did the 23 and me because i want to know just who i am and where i came from. and now i know. no royal blood, but we do have blood of martyrs in my veins. im proud of my ancestors who stood up for Christ and was murdered by the catholic church. it is strange that my 23 and me profile pointed to the very year that happened. 1730. from that moment on, that blood line started intermingling with other blood lines from other countries. my DNA showed that. im in america because one side of my family was horribly persecuted for being christians by the catholics. thanks God for America. my other side of my DNA were fearsom sea raiders. only in america can we mix like this. again if you are not hiding anything why LIVE IN FEAR. only the people hiding something live in fear. got a question for you. the CIA killed kennedy, do you think they are going to tolerate Donald? not on you life. thats the answer. my mind is ready for it, is your mind ready for it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    well i guess if you have something to hide, i can sure see your point.....
    Always get a chuckle out of statements like the above.
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    If you are worried about misuse of information from a DNA search, think of those who served in the Military.
    Yep. The DoD has been sampling DNA for at least twenty years.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Well, I think my participation in this thread just ended.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Well it's been 50 years since I was in the military, stationed at the Pentagon, assigned to DASA. Look it up. We were the bomb folks.

I guess I had a high clearance, LOL!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Perm-Banned
    history repeats its self. thats a given

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    To each their own and everyone is entitled to their thoughts and beliefs. As far as DNA goes, the government may not have yours yet, but believe me, they have just about all of the other information on you . . and wuth the electronic capabilities they have . . . if you think you can run and hide . . well good luck with that.

This is not to cause an argument with anyone . . . just some general comments. I don't know about all of the states, but for Arizona and Michigan, when I got my CCW license in AZ and my CPL in Michigan, I had to give my finger prints and my palm prints. When I worked a security job many many years ago while I was in college, I had to give my fingerprints. When I worked at a company that did some foreign sales and the State Department had their fingers in the pot . . I had to give fingerprints as well as be "cleared". When I was employed as a firefighter/rescue, I had to give fingerprints. When I volunteered at a local school out here in AZ, I had to give fingerprints. When you purchase a firearm, you give the government information on the FFL paperwork. When you go to a doctor, you provide information that ends up with the insurance companies as well as the government. And . . . if you served in the military . . . they have even more additional information about you.

My point? You can run but you can't hide. If a person doesn't want to volunteer their DNA for a genealogy workup - that is certainly their right not to. And I fully respect that. Personally, I'm too darn old to really care about it. I don't have anything to hide and I doubt those that expressed their refusal to give DNA have anything to hide either. The government has give us all more than enough reasons to not trust it . . . and that goes for all of them - left, right, doesn't matter.

DNA? It's a two edge sword for sure. In the field of LE, a DNA data bank could be and is extremely helpful in solving unsolved and cold cases. I can only imagine what a relief it is for families of victims to finally find justice for their loss through the use of DNA. And in the years I worked ambulance and fire/rescue, I have seen more than my share of the results of violent crime and felt the same pain as the victim's family when a case goes unsolved. And, for many people, DNA and genetic testing has been a godsend in helping determine their tendencies towards genetically passed on illnesses and disorders to supply them with information to make informed decisions needed for their particular cases.

On the other hand, the points made in regards to the use . . .or I should say "mis-use" of DNA by insurance companies and others is on the other edge of the sword. And that type of use is ever more reason for the citizens and taxpayers in this country to put pressure on the politicians who throw in their souls with the insurance companies and other special interest groups looking to use the information to their advantage. But you know what? The majority, regardless of left, middle or right, continue to put the same politicians back in office every election and then complain when things never change. The same voters who complain are the same ones who sit back and never send their views to their representatives in government nor send the message to them that they are "tempoary help" and that they work for us and are not there to "feather their own nests". And, all one has to do is to look at what is going on today with the resistance in the "swamp" to the pressure being applied by the President to cut the waste in government and eliminate the cow towing to special interest groups and lobbyists . . . something which should offend any citizen and taxpayer regardless of their political leanings.

A little "off topic" . . . but it all relates. So instead of any of us getting our feathers in a ruffle, let's just treat this thread for what it was intended to be . . . a discussion of the use of DNA in determining a person's ancestry. Nothing more, nothing less. And if we don't agree . . . then agree to disagree and keep things on an even keel and civil.

Perm-Banned
    i knew when i posted this that the paranoid hate every thing and everybody would come like flies. how ever i thought that in spite of that one or two reasonable humans would benifit and really be interested in their ancestry. 23 and me is a relible way to find out who you are. i think also some of these types that attacked this are afraid if they do this they might find something in the wood pile that they have threw hate against all their lives. then they would have to start hating them selves. the man who introduced me to 23 and me is from south ca. he is as white as you can get. he is a baptist minister and a missionary up here to the native population. he did 23 and me 3 years ago and found out he had a fair percentage and african blood. he was very proud of it because he was mature and and a fine christian. he did not look at it as a bad thing but you can see why some dont want to find these things out. it would shatter their narrow self rightous world. as far as the government getting my info, who cares, ive nothing to hide. God is my leader and governments come and go. my ancestors died for there beliefs , if it comes to that, ive lived long enough also. i had to relations die in the german concentration camps. they both had the same first and last names as my mother. her first name is a tradition in moms family. no they were not jews, they were christians who stood up for Christ. the good thing i found out from 23 and me was i have not one drop of german blood in me. never ever liked those germans.

Boolit Grand Master

I did not feel like I was attacking 23 and me and I don't feel like I'm hiding anything. I'm just tired of being watched all of the time. GPS on the phone. Smart TV's that sell your info. Traffic cameras at stop lights. DNA is an interesting and useful thing, I'm just not interested.

Banned

My brother did the Ancestry.com test
    What I found to be facinating were the emails he started to receive from relatives in our family. Based on the matching, they were able to contact fellow members of our family who were previously lost to one another.
    Also the genetic makeup was interesting as well. I will probably do both 23 and Ancestory tests.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Frankly I'm not worried about what could be found out about my DNA.

There was a time the info would have been interesting when I was younger, but now no longer.

For those who are interested about where they came from, only thing I can say is "Go for it".
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

October 1, 2015 marked the 25th anniversary of the launch of the Human Genome Project
    Your not going to hide anything. Now who was Bill's dad? 7 letter agencies already have us in the data base. They have been collecting for > 50 yrs. fellows. Remember they used to take the pin prick sample, now it's 3 tubes.
    Whatever!

23 and me gentic profiling

I had a great uncle on my mom's side trace our ancestors back to William the Conquer taking over England. My uncle did this in the 1970's before DNA. He did it by researching old records it took him many years to do. It is quite interesting.
    On the Crazy side of DNA testing for genealogy, my wife's Grampa found out that he has a daughter that was switched in the hospital at birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PtMD989; 03-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    I would love to know more about my ancestry, but for me, these tests are worthless!!!!

Undergoing my last battle of Cancer, I underwent stem cell transplant. So, the spit out of mouth, the blood in my veins, all contain the DNA of my donor. To harvest my DNA, you have to take a tissue sample.

So, at this point, I'm just happy to be alive. Maybe, ill have one of my kids do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Employers and insurance companies are already lobbying their federal government to force you to surrender DNA/Gene samples or be penalized with a 30 to 50 percent increase in med insurance premiums.
    H.R. 1313 appears to be another effort by the insurance companies to use their bought and paid for politicians to circumvent your last shred of personal medical privacy.
    Note, the only co-sponsors listed of this bill are republicans, and it's called " Preserving Employee Wellness Programs Act". Don't you just love they way they label stuff as if it were to help you?

I really would love to see an added statement to this bill saying something along the lines of "no results will be used to lessen or deny medical coverage".

My dad got a ancestry.com test kit for Christmas. He hasn't done it yet. When he does I'll probably find out I'm half tobacco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast