MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 23 and me gentic profiling

Perm-Banned

23 and me gentic profiling

got the kit for christmas and spit in the tube and sent it in. got the results yesterday. for everyones information 23 and me is the most highly rated genetic profiling company on the internet. ancestry.com is the lowest and not reliable. if you are interested in your gentic background, go for it, 98 dollars and you will find out who you really are. i had only one surprise and all the rest was just confirming what i all ready knew. every one is going to have at least one surprise. my surprise was i have no german blood at all. our family thought we had a lot of it.none at all. again, the rest varified times and dates of things and places we knew that happened in our family. it is interesting what they can read out of one DNA but their it was for me, varification of the very dates some of our blood lines ended or started to change. try it if your interested and see who you really are.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My wife and I are going to do it sometime in the near future. I know a lot of my ancestry but as you say, there are always "surprises". My wife and I are really interested in see how her's comes out. My wife's mother was strong French-Canadian and I am fairly sure that there is a good dose of Native American mixed in (Cree) - part of that has been fairly well confirmed by some genealogy work that's already done. One never knows though just what will show up and I think it's amazing what the technology can show now - 30 or 40 years ago we wouldn't have thought it possible.

Banned

I could get on the interweb and trace [one side of] my lineage back to a 1300's crossroads king in Scotland in about 20 minutes.
    I got no google-foo skills whatsoever.
    but the LDS church has the largest genealogy data bank ever anywhere and you can access it pretty easily.

Perm-Banned
    bedbug, you are 100 percent right about the french canadian and cree mix. i worked with the cree and i want to tell you about them. they were born with a smile on their face and they never ever loose it. if you are in a room full od native americans and they are mixed from different tribes, the one smiling all the time is the cree. some of the most beautiful female in the world were the female crees i saw. the cree are good with their hands. when they bought a snow mobile they would take it apart 100 percent and then hand polish every part of it. when they put it back together they would have a snowmobile way better than the one they bought new. they are the last ribe to come across the frozen bering staight and the newest tribe in america. i learned to speak a little cree when i worked with them as a federal worker. i once had a labor dispute with uncle sam over over time money owed me. we had a big hearing and the judge was full blooded cree. we had a lot of testimony and took a break. i went into a room and there happened to be the cree judge in there. on the spure of the moment i said to him in cree and mixed a little french in it, good morning my cousin, how are you today. he answered back in cree, thank you, i am fine. but you should have seen the look on his face and he almost fell off of his chair. he thought i was one of his mixed french cree tribal members. he had really mixed emotions after that when we went back into the hearing. i just laughed inside as i could not help it, i had to say what i said to him. i respect the cree and they are easy to live with. my two grandchildren are part cree as well as my daughter inlaw. she is a member of the tribe. my grandson is 15 years old, a perfect four 0 student and over 6 feet tall. do the 23 and me thing and learn who you really are.

Boolit Master
    Not in a big hurry to let someone put a copy of my DNA onto their database, which the gov't will ultimately get a copy of.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I know several people who have traced their genealogy's. What I always found amazing is that everyone is descended from some monarch centuries ago; but no one is descended from the town drunk or lady's of ill repute from generations ago!

As for me and mine; we have always known we were descended from Mongrel's and our only claim to fame was were were all Native Born Texicans.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Perm-Banned
    23 and me is different, they dont trace you to anyone as ancestry.com does. 23 and me is who you are, not who your related to. as to black sheep in the family, ive got good and some real bad. some have done jail time and were real bad dudes and some did real well. the one that did real well was james arness of the gunsmoke series. he is not to a distant cousin of mine. his great grand father and my great grandfather came to america at the same time and were closely related. same last name and came from the same farm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I know several people who have traced their genealogy's. What I always found amazing is that everyone is descended from some monarch centuries ago; but no one is descended from the town drunk or lady's of ill repute from generations ago!

As for me and mine; we have always known we were descended from Mongrel's and our only claim to fame was were were all Native Born Texicans.
    God blessed me that I was born a Texican and a son of the Republic Of TEXAS since 1840.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Not in a big hurry to let someone put a copy of my DNA onto their database, which the gov't will ultimately get a copy of.
    yep. They even say so in the fine print. Also, "they" could use it to deny coverage to a son, daughter, or grandbaby. As interesting as the info would be, there is no doubt in my mind that this will be misused.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I just pushed the thank you button for smokeywolf and Fishman.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Perm-Banned
    well i guess if you have something to hide, i can sure see your point, besides what could ever happen to you now, donalds sure not going to come after you.

Boolit Master

The Witch of Chicago and Arkansas might still run again in 4 years. Would you want her to have access your DNA info as Hillary Care replaces Ryan Care which replaced ObamaCare?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

'Born in the US of A', all I need. I do have family history, for my enjoyment. Wife is missing some history from Quebec era. As the Germans took over the UK long time age, how do you trace anything? N. Africans took over Spain & France, some of Italy? Norwegians moved into China/Russia? Save your money. 99.5% of human DNA is IDENTICAL. 90% of mammal DNA is identical. Only changes due to minor mutations. The survival of minor mutant groups (in history) is the real question.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I can trace all of mine back to Ellis Island. That's all I need to know. They gave up everything to come here and start a new life. I'm their American dream.

Boolit Master
    I did the 32 and Me thing and was very, very pleased. Yes, I suppose someone somewhere would try to think of a way to use genetic data against me, but there is real value-- enough to make it worthwhile (after all, medical records these days are also electronic-- so most of what a doctor might know is already out there). I learned my number one health risk was prostate cancer, which I had just had diagnosed, caught it early, and got it removed before it could hurt me. I also found it valuable because it let me talk to my kids and let them know what they might have inherited from me. The ancestry stuff wasn't much value, but the info on health risks is very valuable.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Employers and insurance companies are already lobbying their federal government to force you to surrender DNA/Gene samples or be penalized with a 30 to 50 percent increase in med insurance premiums.
    H.R. 1313 appears to be another effort by the insurance companies to use their bought and paid for politicians to circumvent your last shred of personal medical privacy.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Perm-Banned
    im so glad im beyond all this hate and scarred stuff. i trust the son of God and all the rest be danged. some people should get a life. besides i was apart of the gov. at one time. was a member of the NSA. every thing i am is in the records they have. so if some of you are so scared, why are you on cast boolits. dont you know the FBI monitors this site. its a fact, hope you can sleep tonight. trust in God and his Son, and really enjoy life.

Perm-Banned
    P.S., dont worry about the dems. in 4 years, i heard Russ say the other day that the right has it locked up for years and years. he is always right.

Boolit Master

Come on johnson1942, no need to take offense and start name calling. I think Smokeywolf raised an excellent point that I agree with. Many diseases are already known to have a genetic component as pointed out by another poster. I know with your background you know this. While this could be immensely valuable to the person who ithe DNA belongs to, it could also be used by insurance companies to determine who they would allow to buy coverage. It's not about fear, it's about safeguarding information about yourself to prevent it being misused now or in the future. Some people are more worried about this than others, that I understand.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    johnson1942, Making every attempt to maintain restrictions on government's ability to control those they govern is a responsibility of the governed.

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast