Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 23 and me gentic profiling

Perm-Banned
    the reason i did 23 and me is a couple of things. when i vacation im talked to by a lot of arabs that think im one of them. im olive skinned and look like im from syria. my father is norwiegen and of saami type. so the 23 and me told me im not arab at all or italian or spanish, but have a lot of hungarian blood. that answers the darker olive skin look. also the saami norwiegen was confirmed with some asian blood in me also as the saami have that. also at least a 1/3 of me comes from normandy france as we already knew. the mongol plus hungarian blood i have may account for me not taking any sh-------t from anyone all my life. as these two types of people are like that. im working on that. again the happiest thing i found out i have no german blood. i have never ever felt comfortable around them. lived in a german american city once and all they do is ***** and groan and moan and watch each other. never happy and no sense of humor. sorry people, thats my experience with that group.

Boolit Master
    I'm 60. I know my mother was born in England. My father was born here from his mother from Lithuania. I would like to know. Worth a hundred bucks.

Perm-Banned
    let us know what you find out, its all very interesting.

Boolit Grand Master
    I did the Ancestry.com thing as the 23 and me was about $200 at the time. Did find out some things I suspicioned (Scandinavian ancestry--Vikings!!!) and some I didn't know, Irish and a bit of Spanish ("Black Irish" possibly). Wife said she just knew I had lots of Scottish ancestry as I am "frugal", and she was right!!

Boolit Master
    This thread makes me think about the episode of "The Boondocks" where Uncle Ruckus took a DNA test and found out he was black, lol. I don't mean that as a disparagement of the thread or Johnson1942, just what the thread made me think of when it was mentioned that some people might not want to find out what their make up is.

Boolit Master

That's easy, just use TDY bar rules. Keep the truth to yerself and lie at your convenience!

wonder if racial supremacy organizations require a DNA test.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Perma-Banned
    I'd be kinda interested in takin' both the Ancestry.com test & the 23 and me. but, as rare as extra funds are around here I always seem to find somethin' else to spend it on.

and as for worryin' over who might find yer DNA interestin', I figger that after 10 gallons and counting of donations to the Red Cross if any of the alphabet agencies "need" mine they won't have too hard a time gettin' it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I did the Ancestry.com thing as the 23 and me was about $200 at the time. Did find out some things I suspicioned (Scandinavian ancestry--Vikings!!!) and some I didn't know, Irish and a bit of Spanish ("Black Irish" possibly). Wife said she just knew I had lots of Scottish ancestry as I am "frugal", and she was right!!
    My ancestors emigrated from Denmark. We are a tall family with little blonde hair. I have been told we have a lot of "slave Dane" blood..

The Vikings sure got around a thousand years ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    My brother did the Ancestry.com test
    What I found to be facinating were the emails he started to receive from relatives in our family. Based on the matching, they were able to contact fellow members of our family who were previously lost to one another.
    Also the genetic makeup was interesting as well. I will probably do both 23 and Ancestory tests.
    jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The geneogly has gone a long way on 3/4 legs , a muloto was found about 1780 that put the brakes on for about 50 yr on one leg . More recently the truth is more colorful than can be imagined we knew a cousin was a in power and intact ultimately responsible for a lot of American blood , but he was dead long before the blood shed . Murdered in fact . Lots of family from Ohio, Tennessee , Arkansas and South Carolina back to at least 1740 .
    Oh the Irish ........ Except that they weren't really Irish for very long ....... It would be interesting to see which Scandinavians got tangled up in that whole mess that now lays within Germany and France ......... Clearly I got shorted on that gig , the only way I can hold my liquor is in a closed bottle and I'd really like to know which weak knee'd little bast...... blood line that came from .
    They tell me I hail from a long line of farmers , I can't grow mold on cheese in a ward fridge and the cravings for red meat doesn't come from growing tators.
    My daughter's have hazel eyes ....Green and gold my boys are dark brown mine are steel grey/blue .

I'd like to do the test if uncle were coming he would have been here by now .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Perm-Banned
    thumbcocker,there is a self proclaimed white raciest up in N.Dak. who bought a little town and wants to turn it all white. he would go on talk shows, spout his hate and make some money that way. well one of the talk shows got his DNA from a glass and sent it in. he is 14 percent african american. im sure these racial supremacy groups would never do a DNA test as they would be afraid of the results.

Kinda what I thought. I know there is Cherokee blood in the family tree and there are rumors of African blood as well. Whenever I see Halle Berry I think Adolf was seriously messed up. I have read accounts of the mobility and upheaval after the civil war doing a lot to stir up the U.S. gene pool, North and South. Makes a lot of sense no govt. issued I.D. for anyone; you could be whatever your looks and brass would let you pass as.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

"Whenever I see Halle Berry I think Adolf was seriously messed up."

She is more "white" than anything else. You take Oprah.

Hybrids can turn out real well,

Banned

So it would seem

Boolit Master
    Vice President of one of the major motion picture film laboratories at which I worked, had a secretary who was actually black. I mean really black. One of the few truly black women I've encountered who was just plain stunning. Most men, black, white, yellow, red or purple, couldn't walk by her without tripping over themselves.
    On more than one occasion I saw men who had an appointment with the company V.P., walk around the corner in the administration building, catch a glimpse of Mary and have to catch their breath, before they could state their name and that they had an appointment. Then, they'd have trouble keeping their composure when she'd stand up and show them to the V.P.'s office door.

She always smelled great, never reeked of too much perfume, never wore a pantsuit, always a dress or skirt and always within an inch of the top of her kneecap. Always high-heels. Hair was not so much straightened as it was "relaxed". Her makeup was always perfect. Despite the fact that she was in her late 30s and had a teenage son, more than once, I saw her blush when someone told even the slightest off-color joke.

Without regard to skin color, Mary was possibly the prettiest, and certainly the classiest woman in a company that employed nearly 400 people.

To this day, I've met few women, black or white who could hold a candle to Mary.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I cannot see tracing mine. I have family members on both sides who are heavily into genealogy and a fair idea of my ancestors. I have also been privileged to travel in Europe, North and South America and have met fools of all persuasions. I see some traits of behaviors that run in nations but I don't believe that they are as much genetic as behavioral.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It is not possible to be certain of a biological connection farther back than three generations. It may be possible but not certain.

I know where I came from as when I asked dad where he came from he said "Lightning struck a tree and there I was" which I suppose makes me a second generation splinter.

Why the H**l would anyone care who their long distant ancestors were... unless they were trying to milk someone else's accomplishments and glory.

Banned

Why do you care how other people care to spend their time and treasure? I find genetic backgrounds facinating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast