Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Holed GC???

Holed GC???

Hello dear friends.
    A why this holed gas check on a 45-70 boolit?
    The boolit weight about 425 grains and appears as LLA lubed.
    Thanks to all.
    Nino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170320_064022.jpg   IMG_20170320_064033.jpg  

Boolit Master

Might be a zinc gas check, or if some other metal, then they were using the same method of attachment as was used by the zinc gas checks.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...inc-gas-checks

http://hawkbullets.com/prot-x-bore.html

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 03-20-2017 at 03:18 AM.

Hello dear NavyVet1959 and thanks for your reply. The links are so interesting and the news in are all new for me.
    Thanks again.
    Ciao
    Nino

Boolit Master
    I remember reading an article, probably in an old Handloaders Digest, that showed gaschecks with a hole in the center that were placed in an upper driving band of empty mould, the mould closed around it and bullet poured . When capped with
    another regular GC at the base it was supposed to be able to be driven at higher velocities.The idea has merit but probably not worth the extra effort not to mention the burnt fingers placing them in a hot mould

Boolit Master

G-G, that pierced gas check was called the Wilks Check. It was reported to work well, but, as you surmise, was a royal pain to cast with.

Boolit Master
    Yes, they were known as Wilk gas checks, Barnes driving bands and probably other names.

Allegedly, with the punched out gas checks seated in the driving bands and a normal gas check on the gas check shank, one could shoot cast boolits at jacketed bullet velocities. Maybe so, but I've tried many combinations of these gimmicks in moulds especially made for them, and have never gotten any semblance of accuracy along with the high velocity. I have also gotten consistently inferior accuracy using them at normal cast boolit velocities, as compared to the same boolits cast without the driving bands.

As the hunter said of his lion trap in the movie The Ghost and The Darkness, "In point of fact, it failed to work, but it was a good idea nonetheless."

By the way, no worries about burning your fingers inserting the bands into the hot mould. The manufacturer thoughtfully supplied a pair of tweezers in each box.

Boolit Master
    Could also be a clean up bullet for muzzle loading rifled musket. The zinc ring scraped the built up BP fowling out of the rifling.

Hello.
    But...there is a manufacturer for thode lead bullets?
    They appears as no hand cast but commercial and the GC appears to be made in copper...
    Thanks to all.
    Ciao
    Nino

Boolit Master
    Jim Harvey came out with zink washer based bullets in the 1950's & 60's. Lyman made up a few moulds for this bullet. Washer was swaged onto base in sizer die by "riviting" cylindrical protrusion on bullet base to zink washer. No lube was needed with this style bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Jim Harvey came out with zink washer based bullets in the 1950's & 60's. Lyman made up a few moulds for this bullet. Washer was swaged onto base in sizer die by "riviting" cylindrical protrusion on bullet base to zink washer. No lube was needed with this style bullet.
    I think that was marketed as a "Base Guard" bullet.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Corbin came up with the swaged on zink base in their "Base Guard" bullets. The Harvey Protex was cast in special Lyman moulds & base riveted on in sizing operation.