WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Standard .22 pistol

High Standard .22 pistol

I've just got a great condition model 101 Dura-matic 6" barrel. Does anyone have experience with one? It looks like it's going 100 mph just sitting there.....

Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Ya can't go wrong with the High standard auto pistols, even the fixed sight skinny barrel guns will shoot like all get out!

If ya paid less than 400 for it ya stole it!

For a real eye opener find yourself a 5 inch Victor and shoot it, a gun club member had one that would shoot X rings daily and it didn't matter what hand he held it in!

Been looking for one I could afford since the late 70's!

HM

Boolit Grand Master
    The bull barrel (model 107 Military I believe) I had would put 50 shots into 1 1/2" at 50 yards off a Ransom Rest.
    Great guns and not easy to find.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

High Standard auto pistols are the only semiautomatic handguns with the slide release on the proper side of the gun, all others are designed for people that have 4 1/4" thumbs on their right hand.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Duramatic is good, sturdy, accurate pistol. You can find extra barrels too and have rail for optic installed on one.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Well I managed to hit some water bottle caps with it so I will be the limiting factor here. My more affluent friends had Supermatic Citations and HD Miltarys and I was a LITTLE jealous.

I have taken Duramatics, Ruger Standard Auto, Colt Woodsmen, just to mention a few, and put
    adjustable sights on them and they shot with my fancier target models. I have also done the
    same thing with the 32 frame size 22autos, which also needed front sight mods, and you would
    be surprised how well they shoot with a decent set of sights. One of my favorite 22 autos is a old
    4" HD Military. It has a trigger that you can't buy.Attachment 191138

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have taken Duramatics, Ruger Standard Auto, Colt Woodsmen, just to mention a few, and put
    adjustable sights on them and they shot with my fancier target models. I have also done the
    same thing with the 32 frame size 22autos, which also needed front sight mods, and you would
    be surprised how well they shoot with a decent set of sights. One of my favorite 22 autos is a old
    4" HD Military. It has a trigger that you can't buy.Attachment 191138
    My brother had that same pistol with a 6" barrel. Super accurate but the shot I remember most was a one shot drop of a 500# steer for butchering. 15 yds, one hand, one shot. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I've got the same HD Military that Drm50 has pictured above, almost new condition in the box with the instruction sheet. It's a great accurate shooter and I love the grip angle. Also have a Ruger Mark 3 model 512 which is almost identical. Think the HD is much more accurate, and I like the exposed hammer. Only complaints I have about the High Standard is that it is setup to fire standard velocity 22 ammo, and not high speed, high speed ammo supposedly will batter the frame and slide on these. Can be fixed to fire high speed with a new recoil spring from Wolf gun springs though. Also, try and buy a extra magazine. My High Standard dates from 1947, and extra original used magazines are priced like they are made out of gold. The aftermarket mags that are made (with the green follower ) don't work well at all. Some say they can be tweaked and made to work, but I've never got them to work as reliably as the factory mag. Good luck with yours, they are nice pistols.
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Dad bought me a Duramatic back in 1966. Great squirrel pistol. Unfortunately I sold it to a good friend. Wish I hadn't for multiple reasons.

Mike

As I told a friend earlier today- maybe this is the .22 auto pistol I keep. I've owned Berettas, Colts, Rugers,Brownings, and S&W but sold or traded them all off. With its severe grip angle this one feels different in a good way. I better take it squirrel or turtle hunting soon.

Boolit Master
    GONRA asks - wot do you Hi Standard Experts think of a
    .22RF Short Hi Standard ISU Olympic, 6 3/4 inch barrel
    purchased waaay back the 1960's?

I shoot a sport king High Standard that I bought in 1981. Fitted sight their lower priced gun at the time $249.00.

Boolit Master
    make sure you do check the recoil spring for the ammo you use . dont mess it up

I have a Sport King also. Lucky me it was given to me by a friend. It looks like it came right out of the show room. Only one magazine though and as said above factory mags are treated as if they were made of gold. No matter though this thing is a very accurate shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    make sure you do check the recoil spring for the ammo you use . dont mess it up
    I checked it with standard velocity CCI and it became a slide action repeater. It works perfectly with Mini Mags -my favorite. All is good!

Mines called THE SHARPSHOOTER.

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA asks - wot do you Hi Standard Experts think of a
    .22RF Short Hi Standard ISU Olympic, 6 3/4 inch barrel
    purchased waaay back the 1960's?
    I'm not an expert but I think you have a super cool gun worth serious money. Hopefully it's not a safe queen. That would be a squirrel getter!

Does anyone know of a DOM/serial list for the Hi- Standard pistols?
    TheGovernor- that one brings back memories. The Sharpshooter was popular when I was becoming a pistolero. I just couldn't afford one- but I borrowed one several times!

Boolit Master
    This may help:

http://www.histandard.info/models/

Then go thank John Stimson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast