MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester model 74 .22

Winchester model 74 .22

I have a Winchester 74 that belonged to my Grandfather just wondering if anyone else has one of these rifles. My Grandfather used this rifle for 35 or so years for coons and other small game. My Grandfather told my father that the gun was to be handed down to me and not to be shot by anyone until I got it. My Father cleaned it but never shot it the gun is now 65 or more years old and has only been shot by my Grandfather and me. Anyone know how I can find out the date this gun was made?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a first year production 22 short and a couple of LR versions. Good rifles, accurate and fun to shoot. This is where I look for dates: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm
    They try telling me that I'm crazy but we know better.

I like this gun it's accurate the action is fast and it's never jammed on me like I've had a few newer .22lr do. Thanks for the link.

Boolit Master

Have had 2 , first was pristine bought from an older gentleman , sold to a person who collected winchesters as I like shooters not safe queens , second had been drilled and tapped with a side mount scope , sold to a friends friend as he wanted a good bolt action, no serial numbers so no telling that I know of for what year made.

Boolit Master

I have a really nice one in 22 short. It is a nice little rifle rifle I just need to get it out more.

Boolit Master
    I used to have a .22 Long Rifle version. From what I was told before they were the last of the gallery guns. Mine had to have a good cleaning but once the action was cleaned up you could empty that tube mag in a hurry and accuracy was excellent from what I recall. They are underrated for sure.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

David you are correct they are the last of the gallery rifles. My brother has a puma 50+1 22lr this old Winchester 74 will spray out 15 rounds at the same rate as 11 from the Puma. If I run across another 74 22lr in good shape it's coming home with me.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    As a young lad in the 50s I lusted after one of these. By the time I was able to purchase one WIN had discontinued them. In 1964 I found one in 22 Short and bought it. Even then, the cost of Shorts was beginning to exceed that of LR so a couple of years later I sold it. Didn't get another one till about 7-8 years ago. Found a very nice used one for a very good price and renewed my love affair. Although I have other much more sophisticated 22s, this little rifle gets shot more than all the others together, twice over.

The only ammo I have found that will absolutely not feed in mine, is the Xpert with the sort of swchp bullet. My rifle will not even feed one round of this stuff. As a side note, it won't feed in my AR 22 RF conversion or my Grandson's Marlin 785 either.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Thats one thing I love about my 74 it will feed Stingers like greased lighting all day long ever other semi 22 I've tried them in jams.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a pre war (2) in 22 short still in the box shipped to a hardware store in Texas in '39. Out of curiosity, I tried .22 CB caps to see if the action would cycle: it did. Fun shooting a silenced .22 - you can hear the bolt cycle and not much else!

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Have a pre war (2) in 22 short still in the box shipped to a hardware store in Texas in '39. Out of curiosity, I tried .22 CB caps to see if the action would cycle: it did. Fun shooting a silenced .22 - you can hear the bolt cycle and not much else!
    I never tried the CB's in my rifles other then in my single shot savage 24 22/410 and they were not load all all. I live on a farm so I don't worry about how loud my guns are but those CB's could be used in a area where loud shoots can't be used.

Boolit Master

My brother gave me some years ago for my birthday,made in '49. great rifle!! The manufacture date is stamped on the bottom of the barrel by the screw lug, 1941 and prior are worth big bucks.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

My 74 is a 1951 but I wouldn't sell it for any amount. It was handed down to me by my Grandfather and I plan on handing it down to one of my grandsons one day. I'm thinking about buying a new Winchester 22lr and keep it stored unfired to hand down to one of my grandkids.

Boolit Buddy
    CB caps will be something for me to try.
    They try telling me that I'm crazy but we know better.

Boolit Mold

Wink The Mighty 74

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    I have a Winchester 74 that belonged to my Grandfather just wondering if anyone else has one of these rifles. My Grandfather used this rifle for 35 or so years for coons and other small game. My Grandfather told my father that the gun was to be handed down to me and not to be shot by anyone until I got it. My Father cleaned it but never shot it the gun is now 65 or more years old and has only been shot by my Grandfather and me. Anyone know how I can find out the date this gun was made?
    The Winchester 74 is one of the more under-rated and under-appreciated guns of its time. My Grandfather sent about 500 squirrels a year to the happy nutting ground for 20 years with his - squirrel was better than rabbit and second only to quail on his table. I have to agree, mighty fine eating.

The 74 was originally made in 1939. Early models in short are reasonably desirable, and that is what I have, a 1939. In WWII, certain LR models were sent lend-lease to England where they had a threaded barrel, a suppressor and a telescopic sight added for homeland defense against invading Germans. Interesting to look it up on the web.

Directly answering your question: the age table based on serial number:

RECORDS AT THE FACTORY INDICATE THE FOLLOWING SERIAL NUMBERS WERE
    ASSIGNED TO GUNS AT THE END OF THE CALENDAR YEAR.
    1939 - 1 TO 30890
    40- 67085
    41 - 114355
    42- 128293
    43 - NONE
    44 - 128295
    45 - 128878
    46 - 145168
    47 - 173524
    48 - 223788
    49 - 249900
    50 - 276012
    51 - 302124
    52 - 328236
    53 - 354348
    54 - 380460
    55 - 406574

My cousin has his father's 74 in .22LR. He has won many a turkey with that gun. As long as you have eyes, the iron sights on a 74 and the barrel are more accurate than your eyes. If you do not get 1/2-inch groups you are the problem, not the weapon. At 200 yards, 1-in groups. Seriously. When TSHTF, I'll be taking long range head shots with this piece.

Boolit Mold
    I have noticed 74's on GunsAmerica for under $200 from time to time. There are idosyncrasies you need to know about, like handling the bolt and cleaning the bolt. The are some videos by Marcucco (sp? search winchester 74 bolt on YouTube) that are REALLY good. Parts are usually available because people buy an old one and take it apart and then give up because they think it is too hard. Buy one, fix it up, case it and wait. The newer ones are not a good; a 74 outshoots a 10/22 any day. Maybe a Henry lever action, which is short/long/lr, would be a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPuzzle View Post
    The Winchester 74 is one of the more under-rated and under-appreciated guns of its time. My Grandfather sent about 500 squirrels a year to the happy nutting ground for 20 years with his - squirrel was better than rabbit and second only to quail on his table. I have to agree, mighty fine eating.

The 74 was originally made in 1939. Early models in short are reasonably desirable, and that is what I have, a 1939. In WWII, certain LR models were sent lend-lease to England where they had a threaded barrel, a suppressor and a telescopic sight added for homeland defense against invading Germans. Interesting to look it up on the web.

Directly answering your question: the age table based on serial number:

RECORDS AT THE FACTORY INDICATE THE FOLLOWING SERIAL NUMBERS WERE
    ASSIGNED TO GUNS AT THE END OF THE CALENDAR YEAR.
    1939 - 1 TO 30890
    40- 67085
    41 - 114355
    42- 128293
    43 - NONE
    44 - 128295
    45 - 128878
    46 - 145168
    47 - 173524
    48 - 223788
    49 - 249900
    50 - 276012
    51 - 302124
    52 - 328236
    53 - 354348
    54 - 380460
    55 - 406574

My cousin has his father's 74 in .22LR. He has won many a turkey with that gun. As long as you have eyes, the iron sights on a 74 and the barrel are more accurate than your eyes. If you do not get 1/2-inch groups you are the problem, not the weapon. At 200 yards, 1-in groups. Seriously. When TSHTF, I'll be taking long range head shots with this piece.
    You are correct these rifles will drive nails at 75 yards. At 150 yards I can peg a one inch circle all day long. I have a few friends that think I'm crazy when I tell them when the SHTF my 74 will be my most trusted weapon because they know a own a 30/06 and a 300 Win Mag. Using CCI Stingers my 74 is the closest thing you can get to a sniper rifle in 22cal. The plus side to the 74 over all other rifles I have is the fact I can carry a few thousand rounds of ammo easily.

Boolit Mold

Month and year

Month and year can be found on bottom of the barrel near lug mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post

Boolit Mold
    Well, i can tell you have had no luck in finding a win 74 manual.

Boolit Bub
    I have a LR model made in 1954 (same as me). I would put it at 90% condition. Bluing is perfect. Some small dings on stock. It is a great shooter. Bought it 4-5 years ago for $125.00. I still can't believe the person sold it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast