Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Standard .22 pistol

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    This may help:

http://www.histandard.info/models/

Then go thank John Stimson.
    Thanks to him and you!
    Best, Thomas.

Thanks jsizemore for the link. Found out that the "Field King", with both barrels, that I got in the mid '60's, was only made for one year. I've put thousands of rounds through this gun. Shot in many competitions. This gun never missed a beat. The trigger can't be beat. I have owned 10 to 12 other .22 semi autos through the years, all makes and models. This one will never leave my collection. The only other .22 that comes close is the Hi-Standard "Victor".

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    A couple of things I have been told and personally follow for my Supermatic: The guns were originally designed to fire STD velocity ammo. They normally have a 5 1/2 lb. recoil spring. If you choose to shoot HV ammo it is recommended that an aftermarket 6 lb. spring be installed because with the 5 1/2 lb. spring it is possible to crack the frame. I just shoot STD velocity in mine, even Aguila 40 grain Sub Sonic and it runs great.

The other thing is the magazines. The HS guns are really rather sensitive to the feed lips on the magazine being correct since the HS doesn't have a feed ramp and therefore feeds the round directly (more or less) into the chamber. There is a tool available to tweak the feed lips and I have found it to be very valuable because it allows me to adjust marginal functioning, economical aftermarket magazine to virtually 100% reliability. Information on adjusting the magazines is available at highstandardpartsonline.com As someone stated, factory long angle magazines are quite costly and even then, occasionally, they can be a bit temperamental so being able to run the aftermarket magazines reliably is a big plus because of the much more reasonable price.

Other then the 22 RF conversion for my SIG my Supermatic is the only 22 auto I own and after having either owned or shot most of the others, it will be the only one I keep.
    Last edited by roysha; 04-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    This is from the High Standard page of rimfirecentral.com

My understanding of the Velocity class ratings is that they are tested in a rifle barrel and chronograph results from a pistol barrel will never match the ratings on the box.

The instruction sheets that came with the gun may have said the guns capable of High Velocity ammo but decades of experience totally disprove that assertion. Hi Std guns made in Connecticut suffer frame cracks from the combination of two things: The extended use of Hi or Hyper Vel ammo and failure to replace the recoil spring regularly. Both contribute to the problem.

The ammo choice should be only Std Vel ammo (as stated on the box). The measure of the condition of the recoil spring is either by a 10% reduction in force from new or after every 10 to 15 thousand rounds fired. The recoil spring should be the OEM 5.5 pound version by Hi Std (Brownells) or Wolf (Brownells). An alternative is the Wolf variable rate 6.0 pound spring.

Chasing springs of more force to use Hi Vel ammo is a fools chore as the excess closing force will eventually mushroom the breech face of the slide.

There are a limited number of these great gun in existence today and every "life" matters. Using the wrong ammo or not replacing the recoil spring can ruin a perfectly good target gun. But it is a gamble to take....its your gun. I follow the rules as I want to be able to hand my guns over to my heirs intact.

As for which Std Vel ammo? I universally use CCI Standard Velocity in my many 22LR target pistols. It is probably the most reliable and most accurate least expensive ammo I can buy.

All HS pistols that I've messed with are made with fairly soft steel and will become battered after extended use of HV or Hyper velocity ammo except for the newer Houston guns. I loved my Hamden Victor but decided I needed a mid 70's S&W 15-3 more and it costs a whole bunch less to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master
    The High Standards do in fact have a "feed ramp." It is the top part of the magazine well. Watch the nose of the feeding round glance off it in feeding.

The round does not feed directly into the chamber.

Sears and Roebuck sold Hi Standards under their label. These guns can usually be
    picked up a bit cheaper than same gun with HI Standard label. Sears pistols are
    the field grade guns.

I have an early near mint Dura and it would be one of the last handguns of mine I would sell. You are gonna have a ball with yours.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The High Standards do in fact have a "feed ramp." It is the top part of the magazine well. Watch the nose of the feeding round glance off it in feeding.

The round does not feed directly into the chamber.
    Please go to the link I posted and on the right hand side of the page is where to download the magazine adjustment procedure. Go to page two and read the first line. This is High Standard's words, not mine.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I know about the link you posted. The rounds still glance off the top of the magazine well. Watch the gun feed.

This is more helpful than inferring something from a link.

Boolit Master
    OK. You win. High Standard doesn't know what in the heck they're talking about.

Boolit Master
    Some HS's do indeed have a feed ramp. All the guns with "military" in their frame description do not have any bit of a feed ramp. If yours does then it is feeding from the magazine incorrectly. It is controlled round feeding like a 98 mauser. If it "hits" any part of the chamber while feeding, it is not by design.

Boolit Grand Master
    I "win" because that is what the gun actually does. Watch it feed. Yes, altering the feed lips alters how it feeds, but to state the round feeds directly into the chamber is incorrect. It glances off something first in the feed path.

All have a feed ramp. It is the magazine well if none appears to be present.

Don't argue about it. Watch it occur instead.

I informed you about this in a post that is nearly a year old on another thread. It's long past time for you to check out how it actually feeds. Look past the disinformation by omission. See what is actually happening.
    Last edited by 35remington; 04-02-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Well; if the DURA-MATIC was designed for std vel ammo(doubtful for a FIELD pistol)- then it should work with same. It doesn't. I will watch for wear as I happily shoot high(not hyper velocity) ammo through it till one of us dies.
    Best, Thomas.

All original Hi Standard magazines are hard to come by. This pistol was given to me with 3 extra
    mags. That was 47 yrs ago. Being a magazine hog, I always was looking at shows for magazines
    for any of my pistols. I have got stuck with many with green follower that don't work, and several
    correct mags that didn't feed right with out tweeking. In fact I have tweeted a few to death. Never have had a good after market mag. Buyer Beware should be stamped on Hi St mags.

I used jsizemore's link to determine mine was one of the last 3/4 million serial number range. 1965 to 1968 maybe? It's 1500xxx.
    Best, Thomas.

Made in 1960 upon further research. Fired it today again. Love it, love it. Except for some pitting on the mag baseplate I would rate it at 100%. It still won't work with CCI Subsonic. But it gobbles Troy Landrys "choot em"! Up. Accurately.

IIRC, mine was $60 in 65. traded for a Gibson guitar, guy still had it 5 yrs ago.
    Attachment 192630
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    IIRC, mine was $60 in 65. traded for a Gibson guitar, guy still had it 5 yrs ago.
    Attachment 192630
    Popper, if you still have the guitar- can you play "I miss my pistol"???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12