RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationPBcastco
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Meteor

Boolit Master

Meteor

I bought this in the seventies after the Dupont plant blew up. Still three quarters full, $3.85.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meteor.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	191044
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    $3.85?? SOLD! Where do I send the money..........?

Boolit Bub
    I have one of those. Found it on a table at the old westland mall gun show a few years ago. Still sealed, never got around to opening it. Cost me a little more than your old tag price but was less than new Goex when I bought it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    here's what I know about Meteor Powder:
    * DuPont was also cited at this time by the Federal govt for Restraint of Trade. It was the end of DuPont's black powder business ... with possibly a minor twist - see below
    * In the late '60's, I believe 1967, Nobel Industries Ltd bought out C&H who was making their powder in Ardeer, Scotland. At this time, Nobel was the sole source for gunpowder in the British Isles
    * Sometime after C&H was bought out, Nobel started selling BP in the United States using a Canadian subsidiary called CIL, Canadian Industries Limited Ammunition Company. The cans said - Made in Great Britain. And the interesting part, on the Meteor can it said under C-L-I, Plattsburgh, NY
    * I believe, but haven't been able to verify it ... that DuPont opened an office in Plattsburgh, contracted through Nobel to have DuPont salesmen sell the Meteor powder to retail stores in the US. And further, I believe the Nobel Meteor powder to be C&H inventory or produced by C&H processes and employees

How did I speculate that DuPont was selling Nobel powder (possibly C&H) in the US? Because there was a small gun store that went out of business due to death of the owner and the only powder he carried was DuPont and Meteor, with the Plattsburgh office address
    I was fortunate to obtain a nice inventory of the old DuPont and Meteor powder from the owners wife. Here's what the Meteor looks like with 1973 lot numbers!...

So the powder trail was: Ardeer, Scotland - Canada - US

Further, I tested Austin Powder Co 'Rifle Powder - Made in Great Britain' to my Meteor powder with conclusive results that it is Curtis's & Harvey's powder that was made in Ardeer, Scotland ...
    http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...1312504876/0#0
    Last edited by John Boy; 03-24-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Thanks for the history John Boy.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ray, I did the extensive testing to determine if Meteor is in fact C&H, which I am 99% positive, because with my Meteor in inventory ... I believe I have the largest inventory of C&H powder in the US that provides excellent reload accuracy
    Regards
    John