Titan Reloading

Thread: Herters Bullets

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Herters Bullets

http://

Found this picture of some bullets I sold awhile back
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is my box that I currently have. Its fullClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Herters6.5 001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	191331

Boolit Master
    Very cool!

I used to have a Herters outlet store about 2 miles from where I grew up. I got a lot of stuff from them, including reloading powders & shot, etc. back in the mid 70's. I will have to ponder on it & think if I have anything left that I got from them all those years ago. I am sure I don't have any boxes though.
    That makes this topic & the pics even more cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    GONRA hasa 100 rd. box of .284 inch diameter, 125 grain Herters bullets.
    PERFECT to load 10 clips for the for the .276 Pedersen semiauto rifle.
    (Don't forget to grease the cartridge cases!)

Boolit Master
    yea they had a {wasp waist} i think i still have some worthless as many of geo's ideas were
    but he killed many big game with a 22 short

Boolit Master

Herters sold at one time a slip top plastic box for .22 LR. Still have one surviving. Handy as all get out for woods walking to carry .22s. Really fine for canoe trips as well where things get wet. Surprised that no one has marketed them over the years. Herters made some good stuff...and some bad stuff. I still miss 'em./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    too many things - GONRA's 125 grain .284 inch Herter's Bullets were conventional in every sense.
    Can closely dup GI .276 Pedersen ammo with these.....

(Do hava vague memory reading about "wasp waist" bullet BS in Herter's Catalogs though!)
    Only other Herters thing ever purchased of any consequence was a set of 8mm Mauser reloading dies.
    Limped along with these crappy dies for decades...

Boolit Master
    Herters was great but they didn't "make" anything. Like other mail order businesses (Sears, Monkey-Ward, etc.), Geo. Herter contracted with people who did make stuff to follow some of ol' George's designs and label them as Herters. Herter's was a great source for a lot of sporting stuff, much of which could be hard to find in local stores. It was mostly good to excellent and they priced it right; reloading tools, gun stocks, gunsmithing items and excellent barrelled rifle actions as an example.

I still have a few of Herter's dies and find them equal to any other die maker's products, then or now, of similar design.

One of the 2,387 reasons I despise our slimy federal bureaucracy is how determined they were to use government's bulldozer powers to put Herter out of business because he sold mail-order guns to anyone who would pay his low prices. Which they finally accomplished by bankrupting the company in court, very much like what they recently did to Gen. Flynn and others.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran across a piece of a box of 85 gr 6mm / 243 bullets in one of my boxes yesterday. Label says 'Wasp Waist Sonic'. Loved to sit and look at the catalogs back in the 60's. Sure missed them when they were out of business.

Boolit Master

I came across some of the 150 gr waisted bullets at a sale once, No box though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	262215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	262216

I will shoot them up sometime.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE