Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dave Scovill; great book

Boolit Man

Dave Scovill; great book

I make it a point to read any articles by Scovill and think he and Brian Pearce are worth the subscription price to Handloader and Rifle. No fluff and no silly sayings and analogies. Just meat.

I am new to hand loading the .45 Colt and totally new to using cast bullets. In addition to going through old magazine articles, I bought Colt's Single Action Army: Loading and Shooting the Peacemaker by Scovill.

It covers about everything I wanted to know about loading cast and has a great section on the .45 Colt ( and other chamberings like the .44 Special). Oversize throats, expansion plugs, neck grip, hardness, velocity, pressure and powders are explained and how they all tie together to make an accurate load.

Great one stop reference for your library.

Boolit Master

Welcome Sakoluvr. You'll find a cornucopia of experience and advice here. Lots of threads on the 45 Colt.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I also like Brian Pierce, but Skovill's ego gets in the way of my enjoyment. Too much I,I,I.

Boolit Man
    No disrespect to Ken Waters, one of the finest shooting/reloading authors ever, but I think that Brian Pearce will be in the Hall of Fame with Ken Waters if he continues on his trajectory. Brian is thorough (as evident from his load work ups, which are not always "fully" printed on HL, but are available in LoadData.com), and he style of writing is easy to follow with a "No BS, just Facts' approach. No, I am not related to him... LOL.
    Last edited by LeadPoisonTX; 03-16-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: need to clarify.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Boolit Master
    Brian pearce is an entertaining and knowledgable writer .

Boolit Master

I agree..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    B.P. makes a visit,to local Gun shows maybeso once every couple years.. Gentleman to chat with everytime I've had something displayed that got him to stop & lookee. Hard to compete with "gunwriter Kumshaw"though...Likely the same reason I've yet,after MANY YEARS,to sell anything to John Taffin...Did cadge autographs to a couple of his hard copy books,though ! ! ! Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"