MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: HI-Pount 9mm

HI-Point 9mm

Hello shooters. Has anyone considered or actually made a nice wood stock for the Hi-point 9mm? If they are making a Para stock for the Marlin camp rifles, I wonder if the Hi-points are made where this is possible. IV never seen a Hi-point out of one of the stocks they are shipped with so don't know if this is poss. Just thinking.

Roy
    Hooker53
    Last edited by Hooker53; 03-12-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Words

I'm thinking the stock is part of the frame so not replaceable. I had one but I can't remember for sure. Good guns.

Boolit Master

TbG is correct, Just like a Remington Nylon 66. The stock is the frame.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    I have not seen a wooden stock for a HiPoint. The ATI stock however looks nice. I bought my wife a HiPoint carbine in 9mm for Christmas. The stock is not the frame. They have a metal, well pot metal, frame inside.

If you would like to make a wooden stock take yours apart and copy the fitment.

I had one for a while with the older solid plastic stock. I considered it. But then I sold it to my shooting buddy for a home defense gun and quit thinking about it.

One of those deals where no matter what you do with it, it is still going to be big, black, ugly.

So I just keep mine hanging around because while they may be the ugiest gun ever.
    When it comes to function, they are so reliable they are actually attractive.

That being said I find the key is learning how to tweak magazines to get that level of performance.

Ghosthawk. You're right about being a good gun. I have the 9mm and 45 ACP pistols but no rifle. Seems like the jury is still out on the stock being part of the frame. I understand about it being like the nylon 66. If that's the case, goodbye idea. I really want a Marlin Camp 9 but just don't want to pay the price and with the Hi-points being so reliable after a tweak or two, just thought about doing a nice walnut stock for one. Thanks for posting guys.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master
    The price of these is worthy to buy one to see what you can do with it. I often thought of putting one in a wooden stock also but finances usually enter into the thought!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I think the big issue w making a wood hi point stock would be the magazine well.

Like nekshot stated, I think if I had one and got it on one of my work benches, I could tell more if it's possible. I think I'm just gonna have to bite the Boolit and shuck out the frog skins for a Marlin Camp 9 and be done with it. There is two at the top of my list, the Camp 9 and a Sav 99 in 250-3000. I been wanting both of them for some time. Ha.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Buddy
    After years of lusting after a Camp 9, I got one couple of years back for the wopping sum of $60. It was in pieces in a walmart bag. Iv got it almost to factory condition but iv sunk about $400 into it. Good thing it's a labor of love and not economic issue.

Boolit Master
    I'm curious about the Hi-Point carbines. I'm aware that they have an excellent reliability reputation. Can anyone explain how the inexpensive design works this well? Also, has anyone used their customer service? I ask because I may buy one.

Boolit Master

I just read someone is selling wood grips on eBay and there are some images on Google.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Sir, I hope I can answer your questions. If you want feel free to take this to PM or email if you want more.

A Reliability. Main point is they use a simple blowback design, with a heavy slide to resist the rearward impulse until the bullet is out the barrel. Many .22's are blowback semiauto. Ruger 10/22 being one of them. As such they need a lot less weight than the pistol calibers. I think this weight is part of why people feel they are heavy/clunky unattractive. From my experience you should label your magazines first. Then any mag which causes a FTF gets a mark. Any 2 marks on a mag and it is time to tune feed lips. I had one mag that would FTF at least one in every 10. But after a half hour studying it and my best mag I made a few minor changes to the feed lips. That worst mag is now my #2 most reliable.

B Customer Service. Never needed it for a carbine. But I found a C9 pistol at the pawn shop for a reasonable price. It had a couple of issues. Magazine release button had a problem, was not working correctly. Eventually thanks to the good documentation on their site I could see it was broken. So I called, explained my problem. Nice lady asked for serial # and my name. Gave both, told her where I found gun. Five minutes later she told me my parts were in the mail.

3 days later they arrived with a very clear instruction sheet on how to replace, step by step with pictures. 5 minutes after that it worked correctly. Ohh and they threw in a new Magazine. Never asked for it, they just sent it.

To me that is first rate. You don't get any better than that.

100% USA made/assembled 100% solid customer service. 100% reliable gun as long as you can tweak a magazine once in a while. 100% lowest cost Pistols and carbines for home defense.

Don't delay, grab one and find out for yourself.

FYI I like the cheap Federal 9mm 124 grains, although mine carbines run anything. From 158 gr round nose .38 bullets down to 124 gr .356 9mm bullets. They are not fussy.

My C9 likes them big, .359 or bigger is fine. So I have been loading the .358 124 gr TC as cast as large as .360 with BLL and a well flared case. Over 3 to 4.5 grains of Red Dot they go BANG and go whistling down the range.

You won't find many Semi auto carbines anywhere near this price, or this reliable.
    But you do have to be able to see past the bleak black exterior and see the hidden beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    I'm curious about the Hi-Point carbines. I'm aware that they have an excellent reliability reputation. Can anyone explain how the inexpensive design works this well? Also, has anyone used their customer service? I ask because I may buy one.

Boolit Master
    Ghost, thank you for taking time to answer my question. I look forward to finding one.

Ghosthawk Said it all with the experience I have with my Hi-Point pistols. IV never had a problem with mine except having to polish the feed ramp on my C9. After doing that, shoots everytime. I'm thinking about getting the carbine where I try to do a wood stock or not. I feel as good a rap as their getting, the price has to go up sooner or later. Thanks for all the post.

Roy
    Hooker53