WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading a .40 s&w

Boolit Man

Downloading a .40 s&w

I have a beautiful little girl who although 12 years old isint real strong. She what's to shoot in 3 gun matches but only shoots her .22 pistol as of now. She wants to try my .40 229 but I think it is a bit much. I have read significant information about downloading 9mm specifically for shooting steel. I wanted to ask the group if anyone has done similar downloading with a .40? If so was there a significant drop in felt recoil?

I have some 140 grain and 180 grain bullets for the .40 just need to figure out how light I can load them.

Thanks for for any info you have.
    Learning by breaking something every day!
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Rio,

Though I don't have any load info, I wanted to commend you and your daughter. Keep it up!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

I shoot a lot of 150s and 180s with 3.5-3.8 grains of aa2 (231 words too) . Makes a nice load that has about the recoil of a 9mm.

Boolit Master
    The data is out there, usually not in books, but in forums for competitive shooters. Lighter bullet, less recoil. Might need a spring change to cycle such loads.

Boolit Master
    Start at the minimum load and see if it functions he gun. Lighter springs can definitely help cycle light loads but you'll want the stronger springs in if you go back to full strength loads.

Moderator Emeritus

I swap out the standard recoil spring with a 14lb
    and then work-down a load.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER...D1/mID4/dID253
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the info and thanks Hamish. She is a gem!
    Remington 700ML

I load 180 grain PC with 4.2 grains titegroup, slightly under 900fps. Still some kick, but the sting is gone. If you use Red Dot you could probably get slower. I have used RD for 45 ACP, and the recoil is very mild, 9mm range. Problem is my dealer has not had any RD for a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    You might want to give Hodgdon Clays a try. I have switched to Clays in several calibers and for different disciplines. It is as clean burning as anything I have found. In the 40 I cast and pc 136 grain hp's in a MP mold as well as 144 grain swc's pc'd. My STI runs 100% with loads as light as 3.6 grains of Clays. These loads are so mild recoiling it is hard to believe i'm shooting a 40.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    I have a beautiful little girl who although 12 years old isint real strong. She what's to shoot in 3 gun matches but only shoots her .22 pistol as of now. She wants to try my .40 229 but I think it is a bit much. I have read significant information about downloading 9mm specifically for shooting steel. I wanted to ask the group if anyone has done similar downloading with a .40? If so was there a significant drop in felt recoil?

I have some 140 grain and 180 grain bullets for the .40 just need to figure out how light I can load them.

Thanks for for any info you have.

here is some info = to about 9mm power factor

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/ammu...40lite_091806/

Boolit Master
    +1 on a light recoil spring, then load that 140 so that it just cycles. Won't get any lighter than that for a .40. Just use BE, 231/hp38, Red Dot or the like. https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER...ID4/dID253#293

Boolit Master
    I run 40 in minor PF. 4gr of Bullseye. For a really lite load try 3.8gr of WST. Both with the Lee 175 TC.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I am going to have to get some powder. I reload mostly rifle and don't seem to have a powder that will do this. I will order the recoil spring today.
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Man
    Spoke too soon forgot about a old bottle of 231 that I had.
    Remington 700ML

I use 4 gr. WST & 135gr. in 9mm compact - really nice. My 40 uses 165gr & 4.5gr 231 - light target style load. Haven't tried WST in the 40 yet but really like it in the 9.
    Whatever!

My favorite load in the .40 is just about any 180 grain bullet with 4.0 Red Dot, for around 850 fps.

You might be able to back that off another half grain or so, depending on whether or not it will cycle your pistol.

Good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

3.0g Red Dot, Titewad (not Titegroup), Clays, Extra Lite, e3 all work very nicely with a 180g bullet. Produces about 750-800 fps in my 4.25" M&P40 and feels just like an 1100 fps 120g 9mm bullet out of the same gun with a 9mm barrel and magazine. I've down loaded Red Dot to 2.5g @670 fps and got reliable cycling, but failure to lock back after the last shot about 25% of the time. With a limp wrist, you may also have failures to cycle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    3.0g Red Dot, Titewad (not Titegroup), Clays, Extra Lite, e3 all work very nicely with a 180g bullet. Produces about 750-800 fps in my 4.25" M&P40 and feels just like an 1100 fps 120g 9mm bullet out of the same gun with a 9mm barrel and magazine. I've down loaded Red Dot to 2.5g @670 fps and got reliable cycling, but failure to lock back after the last shot about 25% of the time. With a limp wrist, you may also have failures to cycle.
    Thank you for this info..

You just saved me a lot of time and a trip to the store, as I have 8lbs of red dot on hand.

From an old Handguns magazine article.
    http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/ammu...40lite_091806/

Banned

3.5 of titegroup and a 180 will function the sil's Taurus 100%.
    most accurate load in the gun too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast