Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long?

Boolit Master

32 S&W Long?

I am looking at going with a MGM barrel in 32 S&W Long as a 22 LR replacement. I am set up to load for it but will need to get some more brass for when kids are shooting with me. The question for any of you shooting this cartridge in a rifle is did you go with the standard chamber or did you go with making your chamber where you could use a heavier than standard boolit? MGM offers the option to send a dummy round and they cut the chamber for it. I was just wondering how others that have this chambering in a rifle cut their chamber?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    You might also consider a 9mm Luger as a replacement for 22 lr. I have had my T/C carbine 9mm for more than a dozen years and adore it. It is accurate to 125 yards at an MV of 1200 fps and costs about a nickel a shot. Of course, brass is on the ground everywhere. The 125 gr RF has a lot of "authority" on coyotes or anything else under 100#. I had the barrel made for an off-season, "walking around" rifle.

Banned

What is an MGM barrel?

Been wanting to do this with a Savage 219 .30-30 that has a ruined barrel. I was just going to have it relined. I've been thinking lately that .38 Special may be a better option.

Boolit Master
    MGM= Match Grade Machine. They make Contender and Encore barrels. I have 2 of their barrels. A 30-40 and a 7.62x39. Very happy with both.
    The x39 is a 16" Contender and great with cast.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    quilbilly I considered the 9 mm but have always been partial to rimmed cases in single shots. A Remington 580 or RIA 22TCM rifle converted to 32acp or 9mm would be nice but cost more than a new barrel for the Contender I fear.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My .32 S&W Long rifle has the minimum SAAMI chamber body for the .32 S&W Long with the same ball seat and throat as the SAAMI dimensioned chamber for the 7.62x39 with a ten inch twist of rifling which stabilizes the 31-155D Accurate bullet subsonic using 6 grains of Alliant #2400

Attachment 157660
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Since you are not wanting extra capacity there is no reason for custom cut chamber. The main reason I would want a custom chamber is to ensure the lube grove is in the neck of a BN cartridge.

Sounds like a very interesting caliber. I would do a fast twist for 90-105gr bullet for a 22lr replacement.

We spend a ton of money for economy. Gota love reloading.

Be honest is this really for the kids?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Sounds like a very interesting caliber. I would do a fast twist for 90-105gr bullet for a 22lr replacement.
    The standard 1:18-3/4" .32 Long twist will stabilize 90-105 or even 120 grain boolits just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I did this with the standard chamber in .32 S&W from MGM for my Contender Carbine. I had them use the 27" barrel. It makes for a very quite rifle. I can say for certain that it will kill squirrels. At 25 yards 5 shots make one ragged hole in target.
    Last edited by Wayne R. Scott; 01-12-2016 at 02:47 AM.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

My .32 rifle with the 155-grain Accurate bullet shoots about an inch at 50 yards for 5-shot groups with iron sights. Energy approximates .38 Special +P and it completely perforates and exits 30 inches of gelatin tissue simulant.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Outpost75 I will send your description of your chamber along with my order. With a heavy boolit in a long barrel with small charges of powder we should have some quite shooting rounds.
    Wayne how does the Contender feel with that long of barrel? I have a 20 inch 6.5JDJ barrel and it makes for a very light carbine.
    Last edited by LIMPINGJ; 01-11-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    My .32 rifle is a .32 H&R. I did not want more power. I wanted a cheap to load (minimal powder and lead consumption), quiet gun for small game & plinking. Use of the Magnum case lets me use smaller charges of faster burning powders such as Red Dot at higher than .32 Long pressures. Because rifle barrels are longer the muzzle pressures are still quite long and report almost non existent. Also my .32 handguns are all .32 Mag compatible.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Wayne how does the Contender feel with that long of barrel? I have a 20 inch 6.5JDJ barrel and it makes for a very light carbine.
    I have this Contender restocked with a Boyds laminated thumb hole stock and to me it balances very well.

I have another Contender with the T/C walnut stock and a T/C Custom Shop 23" barrel in .25/20 Win. The .25/20 seems muzzle light to me when shooting offhand.

My thinking on getting the 27" barrel was that if it was too long I could have it cut down and re-crowned. I don't know how to add barrel length if it is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott View Post
    ....My thinking on getting the 27" barrel was that if it was too long I could have it cut down and re-crowned. I don't know how to add barrel length if it is too short.
    With subsonic loads the 27-inch barrel will be very quiet, like standard velocity .22 LR, "silent without suppressor"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    With subsonic loads the 27-inch barrel will be very quiet, like standard velocity .22 LR, "silent without suppressor"
    Exactly, I live in a state that thinks suppressors are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott View Post
    Exactly, I live in a state that thinks suppressors are evil.
    A 30-inch .45 ACP is as long as you can go and have 230-grain Federal Hydra-Shoks reliably exit the barrel below freezing.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A 30-inch .45 ACP is as long as you can go and have 230-grain Federal Hydra-Shoks reliably exit the barrel below freezing.
    Now here's a story that needs telling. I have a 24"38 Special barrel and an 18" 45ACP. Love them both, but can tell you 3.0grs of Unique and a 148gr HBWC wont reliably clear the target either from the .38. A 32 S+WL is on my Carbine short list too.

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Now here's a story that needs telling. .....
    NSWC Crane, IN during 1970s. Mated together "scrapped" M1911A1 pistol frame and M40 bolt rifle receiver, cutting away receiver diaphragm so that feed ramp of M1911 frame was at 6:00 position, removed left locking lug. So you had .45 ACP bolt rifle which fed from M1911 pistol mags. Started with Obermeyer barrel blank longer than needed. Cold boxed gun and shot at zero Degs. F until we stuck a bullet. Cut barrel off behind stuck bullet and fired again until stuck bullet. Repeated. 28-inch barrel went over 100 rounds without sticking a bullet and was VERY quiet. Twist of 20" (same as Trapdoor .45-70) is more accurate than standard 16".

Ordinary ball ammo barely good enough for head shots at 100 yards. Match grade hardball much better. Zero at 50 yards, each Mil-Dot on 10X Unertl good for another 25 yards. Drops like a stone! Report is like firing Eley Tenex from your Winchester 52. Bullet smacking target makes more noise than gun going off. Velocity is no higher than firing from pistol, due to excess expansion ratio, which results in low muzzle pressure, combined with greater bore drag. Jacketed bullet velocity must be over 850 fps. WW2 British .455 won't exit barrel longer than 20", which is why DeLisle went to .45 ACP for this application.

Lubricated lead bullets and clean, lightly oiled barrel exit bore reliably down to 700 fps. with 255-grain .45 Colt slug and 4 grains of Bullseye.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-13-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any mention of what twist rate you barrel will have? Making a choice of chambers styles shouldn't be based simply on bullet weight, without ensuring the twist rate will also work with the weight chosen.

Boolit Master
    marlinman93 from what I see on the MGM order form they only offer 1 in 10 twist like Outpost75 is using in his barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast