WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger 45 colt flattop reloading issues solved!!!

Boolit Man

Ruger 45 colt flattop reloading issues solved!!!

I finally bought a Ruger 45 colt in the flattop stainless... 5 1/2 barrel...shot it Sunday with handloads & loved it. Loaded a 255 grain Lee (only mold I have so far) with 10 grains of Unique for around 1000 fps. I researched what I could on the web to find the rating for that particular model of gun (xr3 frame?). Monday I happen to pick up the December 11 issue of Handloader Reloading Journal.... Big review on that particular model including reloading data...good timing. Woo Hoo....45 plus P's are given the "go ahead"....critters better watch out. I'm just saying! Scott

Boolit Master
    Okie2...Welcome to the wonders of the 45Colt...its an addicting cartridge. I've got a couple of Blackhawks, a long one and a short one. That 1000 fps is a great place to run them. Yes I've pushed 310 grain boolits over the 1300 fps mark, but it wasn't fun, just shocking. I've backed down to 1000 fps plus or minus a hundred and enjoy it much more there. 250 grains at a 1000 can go along ways and go through lots of stuff, especially a big pile of lead.

I'll bet that flat top is a good one for the 45Colt, non magnum loads.

Does it have adjustable sights or an adjustable shooter?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Okie2... Brian Pierce did an article on the RCBS 270 SAA bullet a couple of years ago. It has three differant load levels for that bullet. If you are shooting this bullet and need some load data for it just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address. I will send it to you.

I now have five (4 Ruger handguns and 1 Marlin rifle) weapons in 45 Colt. The beauty of the old cartridge is that you can load it from mild to wild depending upon your application!!

Tom

Okie2, that flattop is a mid-frame and should not be shot with "Ruger Only" loads.

Here is the article in Handloader

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...246partial.pdf

Boolit Man
    tek4260... You're correct...can't use Ruger Only loads...CAN use Plus P loads as Pierce describes in his article...those will be just fine for what I want to do. Mine is the midsized ss with micro adjustable sights (looking for replacements for front sight blades...the HiViz model is too short so I painted the factory one white...but want something more permanent and visible...old eyes). Garcia...pm coming...trying to get my hands on the Miha group buy for that bullet. Deer season starts the day after tomorrow...looking for a mature doe for first action!

Boolit Buddy
    Okie 2 I have a 4 5/8 Black hawk 45 colt and for great plinking load try Red Dot, Green dot and Trail boss. I have the Lee 6 cav 255 gr RNFP mold and it shoots real good plan on hunting deer with it this Sat firearms season opens my load is Lee 255rnfp 9.0 grs unique 50 yards is my max so far good luck

Boolit Man
    VA...shooting same bullet with 10 of Unique...Using this saturday too...max distance for me is more like 35 yards...beyond that I'll have a single shot 38-55 with Lyman peep sights...just sitting in my lap waiting to be "called into the game". All have fun out there & be safe... Isn't this just the best time of year!!!!

Thank you tek4260! Just picked up my new Flat Top stainless 5 1/2" 45 Colt / 45 ACP Convertable. Always come to this board first for cast boolit load data and as usual, no disappointment. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Okie2, that flattop is a mid-frame and should not be shot with "Ruger Only" loads.

Here is the article in Handloader

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...246partial.pdf
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Vendor Sponsor

Just noticed this was a 7yr old thread.. LOL anyway..

I won't load the 45 Colt with 10.0gr Unique. I stop at 9.5gr. 10.0gr and above can be spiky and unpredictable. I doubt any game animal in the lower 48 would know the difference in half grain of Unique.

The Flattop, as with ANY Ruger single action with a 3 digit prefix in the serial number, is a medium framed revolver and should not be used with Ruger Only load data. The 45 caliber gun is rated to 45 ACP+P which is 23,000psi, the 45 Colt cylinder is the same thickness at the weakest point, therefore it is noted that the 23,000psi ceiling of the 45 ACP+P cartridge would apply to the 45 Colt Flattop as well.

I can get a 250gr LBT WFN-GC boolit to 1200fps in 45 Schofield brass, and still stay under 23,000psi so I know this can be done safely in 45 Colt brass.

Note.. Try pushing one of your boolits through the cylinder throats from the front. These revolvers typically have cylinder throats smaller than .452" and loading .452" boolits serves no purpose but to increase resistance in the chamber hence raising pressures, the boolit will exit the front of the cylinder at throat diameter. Typically these cylinders need reaming and honing to .4525" ~ .4528" to bring out their best performance with .452" cast boolits.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-19-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.