MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Safety primer feeder for a single stage press?

Banned

Safety primer feeder for a single stage press?

Hi Folks,
    I have a lee classic cast (single stage press) I have been using it for swaging 22lr bullets and a few other projects. I have not started using it yet as a reloading press. I have a 9mm that I will be loading with it. I bought it used. It came with the little arms that place the primer in the case. And the tube for the spent primers to fall down. No other extra stuff. Question: do I need a safety primer feeder for it or do you do primers with a single stage by hand placing them on the little arm. I know I need the dies for reloading. What else am I going to need for this?
    Thanks.

3 options.
    1. place a primer in the priming arm by hand for each case you prime on press.
    2. buy Lee's safety prime set up to feed those arms.
    3. buy an off press priming tool and prime off press. Many who use single stage presses do this.

Boolit Grand Master

As stated above those are the 3 ways to do it. I like to use a hand priming tool to seat primers. I'm currently using a hornady and like it. Better feel than the press and I can seat primers in the easy chair. Its all in how you want to do it and your prefrences

I just ordered a Lee classic cast press myself to get started reloading and I too have been debating which way to prime. It seems that you have fans of all three of those ways to prime. I have been thinking about a hand primer just not sure which one to try. I will probably start out one at a time on the press for now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...d-priming-tool These are a very good way to go. Good quality and a lifetime warranty.

Banned
    Here are a bunch of them at the low eBay price:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...g+tool&_sop=15
    I think I am going to get a primer feeder for my Lee Classic Cast press because it is cheaper than stand alone priming tools. Is there a big difference in how well these different type of priming tools work. I mean are some types just nicer than others?

The benefit of the hand held primers is you arenot stuck in front of a press. you can go sit in your easy chair and prime in comfort.