Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curses on banansa

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I recall an episode of Paladin where he was told to drop his gun by a bad guy. He said " You can have it, but I'm not going to drop it, and you keep it clean."

Way to go!
    IIRC, that was the same Richard Boone who once said in an episode of "Have gun, will travel" that rifled barrels in revolvers were rare.
    Actors say whatever the writer writes...and do whatever the director says.

We watched Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Virginian and other westerns on TV at my house as a kid. My Dad wouldn't say too much about the many inaccuracies of ranch life generally. What did drive him crazy was the way that everyone would never get on a horse and walk him out. It was always from dead still to a dead run. That was a big old no-no on a ranch. Hard on horses, and it just looks amateurish,lol.
    ETA, oh, that and the never ending six-shooter,haha. When it just became ridiculous, my Dad would have to comment.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master

I have listened to the anti-gun drivel in westerns for 70 years now and it continues today in movies. Back in the hay day of westerns on television and movies, I remember the old anti-gun line "the only guy who carries one needs one" , meaning that if you didn't own or carry a gun nobody would bother you. Guns were always depicted as evil, no guns, no violence. Nothing has changed in Hollywood or is likely to change. Common sense doesn't matter, only emotional drivel. But I still like westerns, warts and all. james

Boolit Master
    I still watch westerns for entertainment, I was raised up watching them with my dad, but he was quick to point out what was wrong, and what not to do. But I'd rather watch any old western than anything on tv nowadays. To much garbage!

Boolit Master
    Early in life I knew people who had done hard campaigning on horseback (which rather dates me), and have read memoirs of many more. The experience on numerous continents is that horses get used up faster than men. Big, fast horses in particular can live on grass but only do long and heavy work on hard feed. Even the cowboys used to work a rotation of modestly sized SUV horses which were at least part-way expendable. I don't think many relied on one fast horse that would chew through bonds for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure there were a lot of inaccuracies and poor practices being shown by Hollywood in both Bonanza and the Big Valley ,two of my favorites, but no social commentary?

Really? You and I didn't watch the same episodes.

Boolit Master
    I preferred the HigH chaparral myself and the 1st series of alias smith and Jones with Pete duel.

Some years back I had a Berreta 380, that had MGM markings. It was modified to a Dewat. The
    gun came with solid brass cartridges in the magazine. I still have them, HPs. The barrel had been
    machined at breech and inserted so no cartridge could be chambered. Gun had no firing pin and
    slide had been filled so it couldn't be replaced. I didn't have much in it, was surprised it bought
    so little at auction, $40.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have listened to the anti-gun drivel in westerns for 70 years now and it continues today in movies. Back in the hay day of westerns on television and movies, I remember the old anti-gun line "the only guy who carries one needs one" , meaning that if you didn't own or carry a gun nobody would bother you. Guns were always depicted as evil, no guns, no violence. Nothing has changed in Hollywood or is likely to change. Common sense doesn't matter, only emotional drivel. But I still like westerns, warts and all. james
    My dad was born in 1913. American and Canadian Cowboys would visit their farm in Southern Alberta in the late teens and twenties. Almost all carried a handgun. Either a Colt peacemaker or a Smith & Wesson third model
    most were used to dispatch injured livestock. It was great to watch TV westerns with my dad. The gentlemen he described who rode the range back then matched the men in Lonsome Dove
    Most good, some scoundrels, and a couple who were downright evil.
    The life of a rancher was very hard work unless they had a wealthy backer. And even then they got slickered or just plain ran out of money
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Late 50s, early 60s it was the fast draw artist. All were bragging about how fast they could draw until one guy comes along and said " when I make my move I gain time". Must have been Chuck Noris. I saw a picture a while back of my older brother and I in our cowboy outfits at Christmas. Probably taken about 1952.

Boolit Master
    Most movies of whatever nature are filled with inaccuracies. They are not history. They are entertainment.

I dont watch much of the old western tv shows. I didnt care for rifleman much. I liked rawhide okay. Bonanza was okay. Any of it is better than most anything on tv now.

Boolit Master
    Never knew much about Lorne Greene or Pernell Roberts, but heard Dan Blocker was apparently very nice. Mom ran into him in a supermarket one time and had a few words with him. Said he had a warmth that just put people immediately at ease.
    Did know something about Michael Landon. Post Bonanza, he was one of the best producers in Hollywood to work for. His people were obsessively loyal to him because he was unquestionably loyal to them. Nobody on the MGM lot had a bad thing to say about him and nobody dared, cuz if one of his employees overheard, they'd take you out behind the wood shed.

Although it bothers me to see Model '92s being used in supposed 1860s, '70s and '80s scenes, I still get great pleasure from the Hollywood westerns.

For the most part, the westerns that tend toward greater accuracy in firearms tend to be those based on Louis L'Amour's stories and a few of the Clint Eastwood and Tom Selleck westerns.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Not one Marlin ended up in the Bonanza movie set dumpster. How unfair was that!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12