Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Henry 41 Mag initial review

Boolit Grand Master

New Henry 41 Mag initial review

I received my Henry Big Boy in 41 Mag today. It is shipped in a cardboard box. The gun itself is heavily oiled and wrapped in VCI paper. It comes with an owners manual and that's all I found in the box.

The bluing is an even black blue color but the metal finish is a bit rough. A little more polishing would have been nice to see at this price point. The walnut was a nice straight grain and the finish was evenly applied and a satin type finish. The wood is fitted good. Not very good or excellent. Just good. Proud in all areas and gaps fitted well.

The action was a little stiff. It smoothed up with a few hundred dry cycles. The level had a little more side to side play than the Marlins and Winchesters I've handled in the past. The sights were composed of a brass bead on the front and semi buckhorn in the rear with a stamped steel elevator. The receiver is drilled and tapped for bases. The filler screws were proud and quite rough.

The gun is advertised as 10+1. With loads housing a 210 XTP, 10 in the tube leaves a bit of room, however, if loading anything else longer, 9 is all I could fit. The gun cycled all my loads except the 265 LFNGC. The nose of the bullet would jam at the 12 o'clock position as it attempted to chamber. Traditional 410459 cycled without issue same with all the WFN varieties from the group buys here.

Its been raining here so I shot from
    my basement out into the woods as a function check. I shot a total of 27 rounds and they all cycled, went bang and ejected just fine. No accuracy testing this time out.

While I applaud Henry for bringing out a 41 Mag in a lever gun, I find the Marlins and Winchesters overall to be better fit and finished. I give this gun a grade of "B-". It should have been better finished overall and id like to see something other than stamped steel parts for the elevator and lifter.

My intention is to put a low powered scope on it and see what it can do at 50, 75, and 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    Your assessment is about what I though of the rifle.
    My dealer has gone totally crazy with his pricing on all guns.
    Guess I have to divorce him after thirty five years and move on.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the review. Sounds a little dissapointing... maybe acceptable if it where closer to a $400 dollar price point.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm disappointed. Just trying to give a fair and unbiased review. If they would have polished out the metalwork a little more, I'd of been a very happy camper. It is definitely utilitarian. I'm very happy to have a 41 lever back in the stable.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you have any other Henrys to compare the fit and finish to? Im wondering if the demand caught henry off guard and they are rushing the first run to market. The only henry ive owned was a 22mag and the fit and finish was top rate
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    On all the Henery rifles I have handled I have been satisfied with their quality. Some even have really nice wood. Agreed they are a little pricey but being 100% American made with 100% American parts I am alright with that.

Boolit Bub
    I would take your exact write up and send it to Mr. Imperato. I think you might be very surprised by his response. Henry has a tendency to attempt to make their customers happy.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any other Henry's to compare it to, however, have many other makes and models to compare it to, including its competition. When I get time, I will try to upload some photos.

Boolit Master

I second the suggestion to write Mr. Imperato. All you have to do is submit a comment/complaint through the Henry website, he reads them personally. He responded to a question from me about a rifle I bought and wasn't happy with. He read my self-diagnosis and sent me a replacement part post-paid immediately. In my experience Henry practice good old-fashioned customer service.
    Bulldogger

Boolit Bub
    The finish of the Big Boy Steel in other calibers is as osteodoc08 described.

KO

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've never fired a Henry in any CF caliber; just 22 RF. One question that pops up based on your statement of 41 Marlins and "Winchesters". I've never seen or even heard of a Winchester in 41. I've owned most all the Marlin variations. Tell me; please, about the Winchester 41, I'd like to look at one. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    I've never fired a Henry in any CF caliber; just 22 RF. One question that pops up based on your statement of 41 Marlins and "Winchesters". I've never seen or even heard of a Winchester in 41. I've owned most all the Marlin variations. Tell me; please, about the Winchester 41, I'd like to look at one. Thanks

Guesser, there was never a Winchester in 41 Mag, but I've handled and shot several in other common calibers for the 92 model. It was more of a general statement than specific caliber.

My favorite was my Marlin CCL I had to let go. I sold it to a member here a few years ago.

The thing about the Henry's is that they are available in calibers many want. While they may tend to be spendy you can get one. I have heard that Marlin 94's in 357 bring ridiculous prices as Marlin does not make new ones or only occaisonally and finding a 357 is rather difficult. The 41 was a short run for Marlin Henry's are also are scope friendly for those that like or need scopes. Try to find another brand of 41.

DP

Boolit Master
    When I though of spending $800 , there were a lot of things I would rather have.
    Rock River is running an 18% off sale on all complete uppers ,so I decided to get a 20" Varmint in .223 Wylde...

I may still get a Henry later if I find one at a more reasonable price.

Boolit Mold
    Mine will be here first thing next week, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. After watching the Marlin .41s skyrocket in price, I'm more than happy to drop $800 on a lever gun in .41 Magnum. Add to it that it is 100% made in America and it has superb customer support and I can't be any happier about it.

Boolit Mold
    I really want one of these rifles. I won't pay the $840 that people-who-have-to-have-it-now are paying on Gunbroker. There is no reason the .41 should cost one penny more than the .44

When the prices come down to earth, I'll probably pick one up for the same reason as the OP. Shooter-gun with 1-5x scope. Just to have fun at the range, and as a "companinon" (yes, I know - how quaint) to my .41 wheelguns.

I think these pistol-caliber rifles are just the ticket when you get stuck shooting rifle on a pistol range.

If I hunt deer, I'm still going to use my 30-06. Even shot through the heart, deer just like to run when I shoot them. I want a big exit wound, no matter what angle I shoot them from.

...and maybe this will light a fire under Marlin to re-issue the .41

Boolit Master
    I would think there is a huge dealer mark up on these guns at $800.
    I saw a nice Marlin lever gun in Wal Mart yesterday. It was $569
    The fit and finish was far superior to the Henry.
    I am not so sure I want a .41 mag that bad.
    In fact I am sure I do not.
    I already have my dads vintage Marlin 336 in .44 magnum

Be a cold day in H*ll for I buy another Remlin. Last one I bought went to Cortez,Co and money later it came back and would actually function with 357 and 38 special like it was suppose to. According to Mic McPherson it should have not ever left the factory. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Grand Master

Initial range impression was quite favorable. I put 200 rounds down range. Loads as follows:

Lyman 410459 with 7.5gr 231
    MP 413640 Penta with 16.3gr #9
    TrueShot 265gr LFN with 20.5gr LilGun
    Hdy XTP 210gr with 22gr LilGun

Best accuracy was with the XTP, closely followed by the MP then the other two about equal. All actually really good. It was quite cool
    and windy today.

I shot with iron at 17 yards and 40 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	161945

17 yards starting from top and going clockwise XTP, MP, Lyman

Views:	69 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	161947

40 yards XTP

Views:	76 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	161948

MP 413640

She can definitely shoot!

Boolit Bub
    I'm glad to hear the Lyman 410459 works in the Henry.

KO

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast